Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondeirng if anyone that raises or has bred their doberman has any pics of their preg babies? :) mines on day 43 :) and shes getting HUGE lol

:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
421 Posts
Ahh! I wish I culd have time for pups!

What do you do with yours? And how much did all the testing actually cost? I've just accepted the fact I'll never breed because by the time they reach two you see all their faults and I think I would just end up with a bunch of well trained dogs. Which I guess is no problem to me. I've taken to many genetics classes I think anyway because I always wonder what the litters will end up and I can't see me ever deciding on a stud. Our breeder wanted to kill us over our corgi cuz she wanted to breed her but we couldn't agree on a stud! Looked for two years and couldn't find a single on we both liked. I'm even more picky about my dobes:)

Can't wait to see pup picks!

·
Banned
375 Posts
Tracy what is her weight.. and how much has she gained.. that will give more of an idea of what may be causing her to gain weight.... you should feed her puppy food HOLISTIC puppy for during pregnancy and only 50% Adult holistic and 50% puppy holistic... but let me know

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Well, congrats on your upcoming babies! Are you going to get her Xrayed to see how many she is having? On the litter that we had, the vets that we took Gypsy to said he saw 5 and it was the same on the ultrasound. but come the day, she has 8.. She has really big puppies though.. All on them weighed anywhere from 1lb to 1.5lbs.
I wish i would have taken a photo of her from the back when she had the puppies.. She was so full of milk, she look like a cow!LOL Well, good luck and keep us posted. Also make sure you have your emergency kit together for the birth.. I know when I did mine, and showed it to the vet he said that I had more things that he does, Oh well, I rather be prepared.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is her first litter. We feedher puppy chow right now Purina...weve tried other dog foods but this is the one that keeps her lookin good. Yup gettin everythin together..might borrow my moms vid cam lol i have digital camera but havent figured outt he video thin on it yet... im gettin excited.... We are selling them. well a few are goin to freinds and of course im keeping one....but they are sold with a contract agreement...ect.... u can see my website for the info...i cant wait for sure i take pics everyday of her lol

·
Banned
375 Posts
TracyInVa said:
this is her first litter. We feedher puppy chow right now Purina...weve tried other dog foods but this is the one that keeps her lookin good. Yup gettin everythin together..might borrow my moms vid cam lol i have digital camera but havent figured outt he video thin on it yet... im gettin excited.... We are selling them. well a few are goin to freinds and of course im keeping one....but they are sold with a contract agreement...ect.... u can see my website for the info...i cant wait for sure i take pics everyday of her lol

cool tracy.. that is awesome glad to hear everything is going great. ummm not a fan of purina but it is much better than some... and that is cool... and how much did she weigh before she was pregnant and now?

:3dbiggrin

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Why are you breeding her? Does she have any titles or temperament testing? What genetic testing did you have done prior to breeding her?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucy was about 55-60 lbs prepreg has appointment this comin week for vets we shall see new weight gain lol
I bred her to get a puppy from her as well as friends wanting a puppy from her there arent many dobermans around here. Lucy has a good temperment and is raised with 5 children...the sire of the pups is a proven breeder and his puppies find homes very quickly....

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
What does proven breeder mean? That he can impregnate a bitch? None of your reasons are valid for breeding. Doberman rescues will often adopt out to neighboring states. I do hope that you spay and neuter the puppies before placing them or before you know it there will be plenty of Dobermans in your area. Shame on you. Now more Dobermans in rescue will just sit there or die because you just have to have a litter for your friends.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all for it

Im all for breedin I have tried re-homeing dogs from shelters and it just does not work Well never has for me. At least this way your family and freinds know exactly what type of begining there little ones will have. and will be able to see them untill they are ready to go.

I have homed dogs from shelters and I would never do it again. They get so used to just pooping were they like that no amount of retraining can work some times. I've lost count of the amount of knitting I had to get rid of oh and shoes and bedding due to lovely big parcels.

I done everything to retrain one of my dogs but it just did not work. Then there are the ones that become so close to one owner of the house that the minute your child or hubby comes near you well they wont the teeth marks in the but are just not worth it. I now only buy from breeders or from freinds I know what I am getting then and I will not even consider housing an older dog now.

Your dog looks wonderful looks like about 8 in there I would say. :dancing_b

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
ashram said:
Im all for breedin I have tried re-homeing dogs from shelters and it just does not work Well never has for me. At least this way your family and freinds know exactly what type of begining there little ones will have. and will be able to see them untill they are ready to go.

I have homed dogs from shelters and I would never do it again. They get so used to just pooping were they like that no amount of retraining can work some times. I've lost count of the amount of knitting I had to get rid of oh and shoes and bedding due to lovely big parcels.

I done everything to retrain one of my dogs but it just did not work. Then there are the ones that become so close to one owner of the house that the minute your child or hubby comes near you well they wont the teeth marks in the but are just not worth it. I now only buy from breeders or from freinds I know what I am getting then and I will not even consider housing an older dog now.

Your dog looks wonderful looks like about 8 in there I would say. :dancing_b
Thank goodness there are more capable people out there besides yourself.

·
Banned
216 Posts
Here is a picture of my blue girl Zena 4 days before she had her puppies. They will be one year old this coming Wednesday.

Here are all 7 puppies at a few days shy of 4 weeks old.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Here are 4 of the 7 outside playing at 7 weeks old. The black/rust dog with them is my 4 year old female Storm. She has never had puppies (and never will) but she is a good babysitter...lol

Heres another of them outside at 7 weeks. It was so hard to get a group photo of them at that age. LOL and forget taking a family portrait with Mom. I have some somewhere....I have several disks with pictures. Theses are just the ones I saved on the PC.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
What does proven breeder mean? That he can impregnate a bitch? None of your reasons are valid for breeding. Doberman rescues will often adopt out to neighboring states. I do hope that you spay and neuter the puppies before placing them or before you know it there will be plenty of Dobermans in your area. Shame on you. Now more Dobermans in rescue will just sit there or die because you just have to have a litter for your friends.

Okay now........touchy subject.... Take it easy... She wan't advertising her pups for sale or pushing byb, just wanted a little weight advice.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
awwww Kia those puppies r so cute lol i was just wantin a lil pics to go by so i can make suree shes lookin like she should... i agree most ppl do not want a adult doberman to begin with everyone i know would rather raise them and train them theirselves. and meet both parents ect ect so they know what they r getting.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Lexus said:
Okay now........touchy subject.... Take it easy... She wan't advertising her pups for sale or pushing byb, just wanted a little weight advice.
Doesn't change the facts.
I will not sit by and pat someone on the back for doing this breed a disservice. I have owned and loved this breed for 15 years and it deserves better.
Her dog is only 2 years old. No genetic testing was done on the dam and I'm sure not the sire either. She has no idea what kind of health problems those puppies could have down the road. She's not going to spay and neuter and before you know it all the puppies are breeding and all the health problems just continue. It has to stop somewhere. This breed has enough problems with out more people adding to it just because their friends want a pup.
Lets say that she has 8 puppies and sells them. That is 8 rescues that don't get a home.
Wrong is wrong.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I understand coalsmom you have a legitimate point..... for any dog breed not just dobies too, it's more than just a serious problem in this world for our 4 legged buddies. And you're right about the rescues without a home....but unfortunetely it doesn't change everyone mind. If we get tough, people that are just niave will shut us off, and nothing is accomplished. We need to educate. To be perfectly honest, I was a vet tech for years, but to a small town vet, I thought hips were all that needed checked on dogs. I found out later that there was soooo much more. I was simply not educated.

I honestly hope to breed Lexus. I am not in a hurry to do it, and I plan on every test now before hand. If she doesn't pass with flying colors, I have made a promise to myself and the breed to spay her. No point in breeding if it is not doing good. Same with the sire if she is tested good through and through, I want the same test results for him. If I can't find that dog, I don't breed.

Can you give a list of health testing that should be done on our dobes moms and dads.... so we can be informative to all.....Actually it would be a great idea if you could even start a new thread with the testing info and the importance to be doing this to ANY dobe before considering breeding. And the relevance of these tests to improve our breed for everyone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
Doesn't change the facts.
I will not sit by and pat someone on the back for doing this breed a disservice. I have owned and loved this breed for 15 years and it deserves better.
Her dog is only 2 years old. No genetic testing was done on the dam and I'm sure not the sire either. She has no idea what kind of health problems those puppies could have down the road. She's not going to spay and neuter and before you know it all the puppies are breeding and all the health problems just continue. It has to stop somewhere. This breed has enough problems with out more people adding to it just because their friends want a pup.
Lets say that she has 8 puppies and sells them. That is 8 rescues that don't get a home.
Wrong is wrong.
Oh STFU, yes she should have had testing but will you lay off of her, what if someoen told you you couldnt have kids, cuz they might have bad health problems cuz your mother had bad heart problems or you might end up in an ophanage, as long as the Dogs shes breeding are healthy and physically sound then she can do what she wants, she already has homes for most of em anyways so shut up and mind your own business, your being too drastic

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Gunner said:
Oh STFU, yes she should have had testing but will you lay off of her, what if someoen told you you couldnt have kids, cuz they might have bad health problems cuz your mother had bad heart problems or you might end up in an ophanage, as long as the Dogs shes breeding are healthy and physically sound then she can do what she wants, she already has homes for most of em anyways so shut up and mind your own business, your being too drastic
You know what, I have been pregnant 2 times and they do testing to test for genetic defects. I had all the testing done to ensure my babies would be healthy.
The problem is just to hard for you to grasp obviously. She DOESN'T KNOW that her bitch IS healthy since she never has ANY genetic testing done. Yes she can do what she wants unfortunately any idiot can take 2 intact dogs and put them together. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. However to do it the RIGHT way does involve some knowledge. Knowledge that YOU will never have. So why don't YOU STFU until you have something brilliant to say. I won't be holding my breath...

1 - 20 of 181 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.