Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Mako is 11 weeks and he goes 70-30 majority outside. There's always that 30% of the time when he'll just think "bedroom carpet looks like a cool place to go"...so he's peed and pooped in the house a few times already.

He's only in the crate when we go to sleep and the rest of the time he roams the house looking for something to play with or playing with our Goldie. Maybe he's not in his crate enough at this age ?

I'm wondering how you all handle this or am I too impatient and he just needs time...?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Re Quote I'm wondering how you all handle this or am I too impatient and he just needs time...?

^^^^ LOTS of talking, encouragement, and throw a "love-happy party" for the good deed...every time (until trained).
Mom or Dad have to be the excited ones...and the frequency of accidents should drastically reduce...in no time / it has to be fun to go potty outside.
- also takes much early supervision, in the house...its those quite times, when puppies plot their drop...lol...then outside ASAP again

For the first puppy month, from my experience:
1977 pup needed out every 1.5 hours max, when I was home.
2000 pup needed out every .75 hours max, when I was home.
At bed time:
One outside trip (most times) for potty break at 3:30 am..this worked out fine.
My pups have never peed in my bed...but I am up like a flash, if they whine.
- current pup got excited first thing in the morning, when placed on the floor...so for one week, she was carried outside

On work days (Mon-Fri), new pup was crated for 4 hours max...this worked out fine.
(usually 1-2 hours, most times, as our son came home from highschool)

Each 8 week old dobe puppy, was 100% potty trained in 3 weeks time...with only few accidents.
- outside visits all controlled off-leash, as I incorporate this exciting voice training...as much as possible, from day1

P.S. - back yard for potty only, then to the front yard for a quick play or in the house for treat
- my dogs learned and liked to pee in longer grass / so when puppy training...I don't cut one spot of the back yard as short..to mark the learning spot
(then there is no confusion of my expectations, when we arrive at the same repeated spot...over & over, every time)

·
Super Moderator
21,896 Posts
He should not have the opportunity to go in the house. I recommend he's either crated or tethered to you at all times. That forces you to see his signals when he has to go and get him outside. I would also put him on a schedule, taking him outside something like every 30 minutes. You should be super excited and happy when he goes outside, lots of treats and praise. Make sure you also use a good enzyme cleaner (I like Nature's Miracle) every place he's had an accident.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Currently, Cadence is 9+ weeks and she is more like 95% going outside. What I do is either crate her while I cannot devote ALL of my time, energy and eyes to her; or she has her own area simiar to an xpen around her crate. So, her crate is basically surrounded by a pen where she has lots of toys and things to do. As soon as she wakes up, makes a peep/whine, etc we head outside and "do the potty dance!!" I also take her out every hour or sooner. It is a lot of time and patience but it will pay off :) we have had no poo accidents so far. Good luck !

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have an 11 week old puppy and she has never had an accident in the house or in her crate. However, she is crated unless I can give her my undivided attention. She spends several hours out of her crate several times a day, but I watch her closely and have become aware of her schedule.

First thing a.m. - outside to potty.
Breakfast, then outside to potty.
About an hour after breakfast, outside to potty.
Then she plays with Wheeler and anytime she starts to sniff around the floor - outside to potty. Same schedule for Lunch/Dinner.

I feed at the same times each day, and this makes it much easier to predict when she is going to need to go out.

She goes out a final time about 11pm and then is up at about 5am and needs to go out.

·
Registered
939 Posts
From the time when we got her at 8 weeks old, to her being what I would consider fully potty trained at about 13 weeks, Callie had all of 4 accidents.

She was crated at night, and 100% of her awake time she was on a leash and the leash was attached to my belt. We went out every 30 minutes as a baby, then gradually lengthened to an hour, then two hours (I set a timer on my phone for these). When the timer went off, I'd tell her "Lets go potty!" and we'd walk outside. If she went, I threw a PARTY! treats, loves, lots and lots of praise. GOOD POTTY!! Good dog! How clever! If she wasn't leashed to me, she was baby gated in the room I was in- and I had total focus on her- not zoned out watching TV so she could sneak off and get to some mischief.

A well watched puppy is a very good puppy :) you must, must set them up for success! He'll learn much fast this way, and it will be much easier on you. Its time consuming, but thats the commitment you make when you bring home a new puppy.

Just as a side note, do not ever punish him for mistakes made in the house. He wont get it, and it wasn't his fault that you weren't attentive and taking him out when he needed to. At best, its confusing to him. At worst, you're damaging your relationship with him and making him fearful. The ONLY potty correction you can make is if you catch them in the act, mid squat. If you catch him, give a sharp, loud AAHT!!! then scoop that baby up and get him right outside. Then praise, praise, praise for finishing the job outside :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Its not about him being in the crate enough (or not enough) but him being unsupervised.

The one or two times that Dreizehn went in the house was because I was not watching him and I missed his signals. I had no other problems, no more than one or two accidents and no destroyed furniture because when I couldn't supervise him 100% he was crated. Still, he wasn't crated a whole lot - so it has nothing to do with how much the dogs is crated, just supervision.

Don't let the pup wander unless you can watch her. Set a timer for 30-45 min and take her out every time the timer goes out, have her potty, take her in, reset the timer, rinse and repeat. That's what worked with Dreizehn.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
He is a baby, you are the adult, now whose the blame?:) Boys have to pee more often than girls, too. Be calm, consistant and praise for when he gets it right. Give him a break, it is not like he has had an easy life these last several weeks, with ALL of his ear problems!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
He's only in the crate when we go to sleep and the rest of the time he roams the house looking for something to play with or playing with our Goldie. Maybe he's not in his crate enough at this age ?
This is your problem and it really doesn't involve him spending more time in his crate.

A puppy who wanders out of your general area is a puppy up to no good! They're either looking for a place to pee/poop or for something to chew.

Would you let a toddler wander around the house with no one keeping an eye on them ALL THE TIME?

Housebreaking a puppy involves nonstop supervision. They should be crated (or put outside) ONLY when you can't provide that non stop supervision.

It also involves letting the puppy out BEFORE it eliminates, which means frequently.

·
Dobie Lover
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies -

I think the problem's been I don't like to put him in the crate too much but at the same time, I can't follow him around the house for hours and hours.

Sometimes I know he's right behind me playing with the Goldie or chewing on a toy and soon I forget and get distracted. I need to watch him more I guess...

Also, I think the ear situation is under control now but that threw him for a loop. He started being real good about going outside in the beginning but after the ear crop and all the complications he started to have accidents.

I'll watch him more now and I'll clean those spots a little better now now that I know how important that is...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am trying to get this under control as well. We have had Einstein for 4 days. Generally he is good about holding it until we go outside...tonight however he sniffed around the house for a solid 60 minutes looking for a place to squat. I followed him around...saw the stance and gave a sharp NO! Then right outside...when we get outside however he wanted nothing to do with going potty. Ten minutes later back in the house....same thing. Rinse and repeat for the full hour.

Putting him in the crate is not going to happen...although we are making progress there is no way my wife, or three year old can handle his crying. While they are up doing their everyday business?

When you take your pups outside do you let them off leash to handle their business?

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
................Putting him in the crate is not going to happen...although we are making progress there is no way my wife, or three year old can handle his crying. While they are up doing their everyday business?

When you take your pups outside do you let them off leash to handle their business?
My pups are off-leash since 8 weeks old...from Day1.
I talk it up so much, that my puppy sticks to me like glue.
I don't have a problem with pup running off / so I use this potty time off-leash, as an early training exercise.
And pup gets to know the pitch in my voice, real quick.
- I also live down a short dead end street and my property is fenced on 3 sides / threat of getting hit by a car, is next to nil & zero with supervision

Then when I start formal OB training (off & on leash):
- the pup is so use to me and my mannerisms...that a chunk of the early foundation work is already done

My Amy was a crate cryer too (big time)....always out of her crate when someone was home...I wouldn't have it, any other way.
- having a dog that doesn't like its crate, is more of a problem if it needs surgury at the Vets though

·
Registered
75 Posts
My pups are off-leash since 8 weeks old...from Day1.
I talk it up so much, that my puppy sticks to me like glue.
I don't have a problem with pup running off / so I use this potty time off-leash, as an early training exercise.
And pup gets to know the pitch in my voice, real quick.
- I also live down a short dead end street and my property is fenced on 3 sides / threat of getting hit by a car, is next to nil & zero with supervision

Then when I start formal OB training (off & on leash):
- the pup is so use to me and my mannerisms...that a chunk of the early foundation work is already done

My Amy was a crate cryer too (big time)....always out of her crate when someone was home...I wouldn't have it, any other way.
- having a dog that doesn't like its crate, is more of a problem if it needs surgury at the Vets though
I was doing it off leash for a while but I want him to poop in a specific part of the yard so I was going to switch to on leash then I could use coming off leash as part of the reward.
I am trying to usemy voice but i am not the most expressive with praise...plus Einstein doesn't seem to care a whole lot about my praise :(

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
I was doing it off leash for a while but I want him to poop in a specific part of the yard so I was going to switch to on leash then I could use coming off leash as part of the reward.
I am trying to use my voice but i am not the most expressive with praise...plus Einstein doesn't seem to care a whole lot about my praise :(
Your voice maybe needs the "baby talk" like a mother with a new born, more.

Fun & exciting talk:
Can work like a "dog-on-a-magnet"...and its worth trying to implement...however silly the chatter box & made up story time sounds outside.

Our evening inside puppy playtime (for hours), encouraged our bonding & much eye & listening focus / and my praise easily worked as a motivator.
- your voice pitch tone, needs to reflect largely "happy or sad"...to imprint your clear expectations that define "good or bad" behavior

While early off-leash is a reward, I give this freedom...with no strings attached...and it just becomes a good natural habit forming lesson.
For me, I enjoy the small challenge it offers on a very young pup vs. doing it months later when it can be more difficult.

But you are right - need to do what feels right and comfortable, with your Einstein.
- and even on-leash, you can practice the doggy talk & praise, with him

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am trying to get this under control as well. We have had Einstein for 4 days. Generally he is good about holding it until we go outside...tonight however he sniffed around the house for a solid 60 minutes looking for a place to squat. I followed him around...saw the stance and gave a sharp NO! Then right outside...when we get outside however he wanted nothing to do with going potty. Ten minutes later back in the house....same thing. Rinse and repeat for the full hour.

Putting him in the crate is not going to happen...although we are making progress there is no way my wife, or three year old can handle his crying. While they are up doing their everyday business?

I am not an expert by any means. I too have an 8 week old puppy that we've had for 4 days :)

My first thought when reading your post was that maybe by yelling the "sharp NO", and then taking him outside, you are scaring and or confusing him. Maybe he thinks ALL potty is a bad thing and is afraid to go in front of you outside for fear of being reprimanded.

With my little girl, as soon as I see the signs (sniffing around. I really try not to even give her the opportunity to squat in the house. Trying to keep it ALL positive and don't want a reason to reprimand if I don't have to), I scoop her up and take her outside on her leash. I too am training to go in one specific spot. She sniffs around for a minute or 2 or sometimes 5, then does her thing. Then I click my clicker and praise, praise, praise and treat.

Our little girl was also a big crier in the crate. Believe me, I know how hard it is to listen to and try to ignore!! The first 2 days were really tough. My kids thought I was sooo mean for letting her cry, but I'm glad I stuck with it. She went from waking up crying every hour the first night, to only one time between mid-night and 8am last night! The only other time she is in there is when she is napping. I let her fall asleep where ever she wants, then transfer her to her crate. Sometimes she wimpers for a minute or two then falls right back to sleep. That way, when she wakes up and needs to potty, she wimpers and cries and I take her right outside, rather than her waking and finding a corner to potty in while I'm not paying attention. Occasionally, if I know she's about ready for a nap and I can't focus my attention and eyes on her, I put her in awake. She protests this a little more, but still only cries and barks for a few mins before settling down. The first 2 days she wimpered and barked (very loudly!) for 15-20 mins before settling down though. It has gotten MUCH better, thank goodness. I tell my kids not to go anywhere near her and to not give any attenntion to her at all if she is crying in there. Once she settles down though, they will often go sit by her crate and play quietly or read :)

Hope this helps a little. It's what is working for us at 4 days in! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Jingle - Thanks for the advice.

I can't imagine the 2 times I've told her no has erased the 15 times we've given wild praise for going outside. I hope not...

All in all hes probably had 10ish accidents in the house in 4 days.:(

Crate time is getting better. He has never been shut in the crate while we're home (against his will) I have gotten him to nap in the crate using treats and a stuffin kong.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Jingle - Thanks for the advice.

I can't imagine the 2 times I've told her no has erased the 15 times we've given wild praise for going outside. I hope not...

All in all hes probably had 10ish accidents in the house in 4 days.:(

Crate time is getting better. He has never been shut in the crate while we're home (against his will) I have gotten him to nap in the crate using treats and a stuffin kong.
You'd be surprised at what can imperss a young puppy and what can make them start peeing in corners and hiding when they pee in the house. Since it's the humans fault 99% of the time when pupipes pee inside,I don't say anything but just get the dog out and then mentally beat myself up.

I also personally would not use no unless the dog actually knew what was being asked of him/her and I don't think puppies know this yet.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Conspiracy, what you are saying now is not what you made it sound like when you first described it. But, from what you described, you said NO, before the pup did anything wrong. You literally punished him for his possible thought. That is very confusing for your puppy. Whatever he was doing when you said NO is what he thought was wrong. Youre really much, much better off not saying anything to a puppy, but to just scoop him up or lease and take outside for a bit, hopefully to do the deed. Unless your timing is impecable, you are more likely to confuse than to help. Also, just clean the mess up and dont bring the pups attention to it. Chances are, he has already forgotten all about it anyway. Praise, praise for doing something right. Puppies need to go out at least every 30 minutes, unless they are sleeping.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've had about the same...10ish accidents, which I am VERY disappointed in myself for. I know that it is in no way her fault at this age. The past couple of days I have been keeping a leash on her 24/7 (unless she is in her crate) while in the house and I make sure she is in the same room with me so that I can constantly watch her. During the times that I have caught her mid squat, I just scoop her up without saying a word, and run her outside to let her finish out there. Once back in the house I don't say anything about the accident or show it to her. I just clean it up as best I can. Luckily we have only had pee accidents so far, no poo accidents.

Tonight she trotted into the laundry room and started sniffing around. This is where I feed her and it was about her dinner time, so I set her food dish and water dish down onto the floor thinking she was hungry, only to look over and see her peeing. This room also has the door that I use to take her outside to potty. I immediately realized that I had mis-read her signs and should have taken her out to potty when I saw her sniffing around. I couldn't help but wonder if she wandered back there because she knows that is the door we use to go out to potty and is catching onto it??? One can only hope! :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts