Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 9 week old puppy and I'm looking for any and all suggestions on what has worked for you or the best method.

This is our 2nd Dobie. It's been 9yrs. since we've been through the potty training thing. While we're doing everything we did with our last dog, this one seems to be having a little more difficulty with it.

We watch him, take him out frequently and praise him when he goes outside. We take him out through the same door every time (which I read somewhere else helps).

Part of our problem is that he's confined to a room 3 days a week for about 8hrs. while my husband, kids and I are at school and work. I just bought the scented pee pads so I'm hoping that will work while he's confined.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
OMG...if you have to rely on pee pads (lazy approach), your doomed to failure (and very slow progress) / right off the bat.
- the message your sending your puppy is / sometimes its OK to piss & crap, on the floor / the house is his toilet

A new tiny pup, should never be left alone for more than 4 hours max...just is not fair, to an under developed bladder and dogs self esteem.
- could you give a neighbor a house key, and have your baby boy taken out mid day ??
My 8 week old pup was 100% house traned in 3 weeks, with only a handful of accidents / but we never left her penned up, for several hour straight.
- house training is not rocket science, it's common sense / no easy fix, without some early work

·
Premium Member
10,436 Posts
I have a 9 week old puppy and I'm looking for any and all suggestions on what has worked for you or the best method.

This is our 2nd Dobie. It's been 9yrs. since we've been through the potty training thing. While we're doing everything we did with our last dog, this one seems to be having a little more difficulty with it.

We watch him, take him out frequently and praise him when he goes outside. We take him out through the same door every time (which I read somewhere else helps).

Part of our problem is that he's confined to a room 3 days a week for about 8hrs. while my husband, kids and I are at school and work. I just bought the scented pee pads so I'm hoping that will work while he's confined.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
I don't know about anyone else but I'd do ANYTHING to avoid using pee pads. They really send a mixed message for housetraining. It's pretty much a way of encouraging a dog to pee or poop in the house.

If I were doing it I'd see if I could swing a deal with a friend or neighbor who is available during those three days to come by at least once but hopefully twice during the eight hour period to take the puppy out to potty. And I don't think, if you can find someone and bribe or pay them to do this, I'd just use a room--I'd probably crate the puppy during that period of time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies but, we have to work and my kids are in school so I'm not left with many options while he's confined while we're gone.

I don't know my neighbors all that well but my brother-in-law is a few blocks away so I'll get a key for him and see how things go. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Haha yes, don't use pee pads because if you are training them to go somewhere, you might as well do it outside! Plus if they see paper somewhere, they might think it is a pee pad and pee on it! (Embarassing if it is your neighbour's newspaper or something...) Anyway, I am trying a bell on the door, and Brandy is catching on, although she is almost four months. Trick is to never give them a chance to go in the house because then not only do you have to teach them to go outside, you also have to teach them to NOT go in the house. Hope I helped!

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, thank you that helps. We have a doorbell and I'm desperate; I'll try anything.

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Really? Pee pads are not considered as a part of potty training? It was emphasized to master.
UGODOG Dog Litter Box Toilet | Indoor Dog Potty | Pee Pee Pad
I understand because of living environment is different. Once this training has been completed, Elza never peed intentionally on other paper products or on the floor.

Anyway. Once or twice as I had no choice, I crated Elza for 7 hours at her 3 months old. I knew she held her pee because dogs dislike their bed/crate unclean. I felt sorry for her. Of course right after I came home, she urged to do that. Since then, until she turned to be 1yr. old. I didn't leave home more than 5 hours. That was my choice to stay with her.
I hope OP can find anyone supports her to check out puppy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts