Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have heard two opinions on when to stop posting ears, first to stop posting when they stand, the other to post until teething has stopped.
For those who have gone through the whole process, which do you recommend?
This is Zeus's ears 3.5 weeks after cropping.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see quite a few people who stop when standing and then post again when teething.
Anybody use that method?

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
I see quite a few people who stop when standing and then post again when teething.
Anybody use that method?
I've been posting ears since 1959. I post until they stand well and have a whole process I go through to determine when this is. What I don't do is start and stop posting.

I've had dogs whose ears stood early--well before teething started and I've had dogs who needed to be posted long after teething was complete. I don't use that mark (teething) to determine when to stop posting.

dobebug

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Anybody use that method?
Those who do have learned it's a bad way to go.

·
Big Lil pup
6,963 Posts
I'll go one step further. With the very tall ear crops that have become so common, I post until I am sure they are standing. And then I continue post for a few weeks longer. My current boy had the longest crop of any dog that I have posted so I said: "What the heck" and following posting, I supported the ear tips with mole foam for a few more weeks.

Today McCoys ears always stand unless he purposely shifts them or pulled them down. The even stand when he is sleeping! LOL.

What boils down to is that having spent all this time and effort AND having a dog that really doesn't even think about his ears being in posts anymore.... Why not go the extra yard?

Oh... I should mention that I really like how posting helps condition a puppy to become completely accepting of being handled when necessary. IMO, it really does make a difference.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have heard two opinions on when to stop posting ears, first to stop posting when they stand, the other to post until teething has stopped.
For those who have gone through the whole process, which do you recommend?
This is Zeus's ears 3.5 weeks after cropping.
View attachment 140246
They look great but better to be on the safe side and just continue to post until he's finished teething. Teething draws cartilage and the ear cartilage needs to get really hard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've been posting ears since 1959. I post until they stand well and have a whole process I go through to determine when this is. What I don't do is start and stop posting.

I've had dogs whose ears stood early--well before teething started and I've had dogs who needed to be posted long after teething was complete. I don't use that mark (teething) to determine when to stop posting.

dobebug
I’d be interested in hearing how you determine this!

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
I’d be interested in hearing how you determine this!
OK--when ears reach the point that they stand well when I take them down to repost and the bases are obviously very solidly up --I repost them and the next time I take them down I do so on a day when I'll be around all day to watch how the ears stand when left unposted for a more lengthy period of time (where I leave them down just long enough to clean the ears, let them dry and put them back up--half an hour or so)--I take them down first thing in the morning (for me and my dogs that would be 6:00am. I clean the ear and if they look as good as they did the time before I don't repost. But I check at regular intervals (at least hourly) to see if there is any sign of weakness or droopyness. If there is they get promptly reposted. And I then plan to do at least another two posting before trying that again.

But if they are still standing at the end of the day as well as they were when I took them down in the morning I wait for a final check at around10:00pm. Still standing? They stay down overnight and get the standard recheck first thing in the morning. Still standing well--no droop, no sag. (Remember that Dobermans do not keep their ears up at all times. If the puppy can and does fold his ears back to airplane wing position that's fine--but when there is something of interest to look at (something yummy or the squirrel on the fence) the pup should be able to pick those ears up to full attention without much effort. Ditto for a puppy who is in trouble (around here it's for chasing the cat--he gets yelled at for that "DON'T CHASE THE CAT!" loudly. If he has full control of his ears he can slick them back until he looks like a seal. But they should come right back up for anything interesting.

Rinse and repeat. Mostly one day and night of properly standing and operating ears means that's the end. I've had a few puppies who (in my picky opinion) needed just a little more upper ear support--and I would do half posts which don't go don't into the ear canal but stop at the bump just above where the ear canal starts. And from time to time I use either mole foam or breathe-rite strips to support the very tip of an ear that wants to still curve in or out. But that is at the ultimate very end and I run into it with my puppies who are always show cropped with very long crops. More moderate crops rarely run into that kind of problem. The show crops, because cartilage hardens from bottom to tip, often have cartilage at the very tip which is still fairly soft--just takes a little more "stuff" being continued to make that perfect finished ear.

Anything that isn't clear about how I do this?--specify what and ask for more information and I'll try again.

What I absolutely don't ever do is take ear down and leave them down a day or two to see what they'll do. I know people who have all kinds of problems with doing that--they look at an ear they just took out of the post (and because a lot of times the ear looks great--but generally it doesn't stay looking great and you can't indulge in "wishful thinking" at the point but a lot of people do and end up not reposting when the puppy has a medium to long crop and whose ears look "pretty good" at 5 months and stop posting. But in two or three weeks it's obvious that they weren't posted long enough and have a big curve that needs to be reposted. Puppies really resent having to have in the ear posts again and because they are bigger and more inventive about prying those posts out the poster finally gives up and the well cropped ear whose only problem was that it wasn't posted long enough ends up simply not standing as well as it could have. And not looking as good as it would have.

dobebug

·
Registered
25 Posts
OK--when ears reach the point that they stand well when I take them down to repost and the bases are obviously very solidly up --I repost them and the next time I take them down I do so on a day when I'll be around all day to watch how the ears stand when left unposted for a more lengthy period of time (where I leave them down just long enough to clean the ears, let them dry and put them back up--half an hour or so)--I take them down first thing in the morning (for me and my dogs that would be 6:00am. I clean the ear and if they look as good as they did the time before I don't repost. But I check at regular intervals (at least hourly) to see if there is any sign of weakness or droopyness. If there is they get promptly reposted. And I then plan to do at least another two posting before trying that again.

But if they are still standing at the end of the day as well as they were when I took them down in the morning I wait for a final check at around10:00pm. Still standing? They stay down overnight and get the standard recheck first thing in the morning. Still standing well--no droop, no sag. (Remember that Dobermans do not keep their ears up at all times. If the puppy can and does fold his ears back to airplane wing position that's fine--but when there is something of interest to look at (something yummy or the squirrel on the fence) the pup should be able to pick those ears up to full attention without much effort. Ditto for a puppy who is in trouble (around here it's for chasing the cat--he gets yelled at for that "DON'T CHASE THE CAT!" loudly. If he has full control of his ears he can slick them back until he looks like a seal. But they should come right back up for anything interesting.

Rinse and repeat. Mostly one day and night of properly standing and operating ears means that's the end. I've had a few puppies who (in my picky opinion) needed just a little more upper ear support--and I would do half posts which don't go don't into the ear canal but stop at the bump just above where the ear canal starts. And from time to time I use either mole foam or breathe-rite strips to support the very tip of an ear that wants to still curve in or out. But that is at the ultimate very end and I run into it with my puppies who are always show cropped with very long crops. More moderate crops rarely run into that kind of problem. The show crops, because cartilage hardens from bottom to tip, often have cartilage at the very tip which is still fairly soft--just takes a little more "stuff" being continued to make that perfect finished ear.

Anything that isn't clear about how I do this?--specify what and ask for more information and I'll try again.

What I absolutely don't ever do is take ear down and leave them down a day or two to see what they'll do. I know people who have all kinds of problems with doing that--they look at an ear they just took out of the post (and because a lot of times the ear looks great--but generally it doesn't stay looking great and you can't indulge in "wishful thinking" at the point but a lot of people do and end up not reposting when the puppy has a medium to long crop and whose ears look "pretty good" at 5 months and stop posting. But in two or three weeks it's obvious that they weren't posted long enough and have a big curve that needs to be reposted. Puppies really resent having to have in the ear posts again and because they are bigger and more inventive about prying those posts out the poster finally gives up and the well cropped ear whose only problem was that it wasn't posted long enough ends up simply not standing as well as it could have. And not looking as good as it would have.

dobebug
This is great! Thank you! Here is my 3 month old pup, the other day I had unintentionally left her posts out for 6 hours and her ears showed no sign of weakness. Is it at all possible that she’s done? How do you feel about the teething phase/heat cycles??
Dog Plant Dog breed Carnivore Fawn

·
Premium Member
10,874 Posts
I generally post long show crops past teething--mostly because the cartilage at the tip isn't hardened enough on those crops to stand well--they tend to want to bend a bit (not the curve that you and AJ prefer but more of a curl. Some ears will never stand perfectly straight--it's a matter cartilage, head shape and ear set and the posting.

I don't really keep bitches but I have friends that do and I've never seen anything to indicate that coming in season does anything to ears--a few bitches do have a first heat season at around 6 months but more tend to be later than that so they are more mature by then.

I think her crop is medium at most--and if they stood for 6 hours and looked like the picture I would be wary of thinking they were done. She's three months? 12 weeks even for a barely medium crop is pushing it I think. Pups really don't even start teething until right around 4 months (16 + weeks) I'd want to see what the ears were doing by 18 weeks (a couple of weeks into teething) but your breeder could tell you (since the vet who cropped her has been doing the breeders dogs for some time) if she's had puppies as young as 12 weeks who really were done.

Interesting though--keep us posted (pun intended) on what you decide to do and if they really are done at this point.

dobebug

·
Registered
25 Posts
I generally post long show crops past teething--mostly because the cartilage at the tip isn't hardened enough on those crops to stand well--they tend to want to bend a bit (not the curve that you and AJ prefer but more of a curl. Some ears will never stand perfectly straight--it's a matter cartilage, head shape and ear set and the posting.

I don't really keep bitches but I have friends that do and I've never seen anything to indicate that coming in season does anything to ears--a few bitches do have a first heat season at around 6 months but more tend to be later than that so they are more mature by then.

I think her crop is medium at most--and if they stood for 6 hours and looked like the picture I would be wary of thinking they were done. She's three months? 12 weeks even for a barely medium crop is pushing it I think. Pups really don't even start teething until right around 4 months (16 + weeks) I'd want to see what the ears were doing by 18 weeks (a couple of weeks into teething) but your breeder could tell you (since the vet who cropped her has been doing the breeders dogs for some time) if she's had puppies as young as 12 weeks who really were done.

Interesting though--keep us posted (pun intended) on what you decide to do and if they really are done at this point.

dobebug
I appreciate your responses! I was planning on stopping, I want to play it on the safe side regardless. I’m more so just curious as I have seen some people say that they’ve posted for a month and that’s it. I’ll definitely keep posting, but will continue to give her a short break between postings if I choose to as it hasn’t seemed to cause any harm as of yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts