Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing research for Callie's upcoming crop (next Tuesday) and I'm running into confusion about the 'brace' part of the posting. The tape that holds the posted ears together so that they stand vertically. I see some tutorials/videos recommend this, and others don't do it at all (Our own posting tutorial does not have this step). It makes sense that it would help the ears stand, I think.. but I have never posted ears. Is this something that I should/should NOT do?? Thanks so much everyone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I used a brace the whole time i posted my pups ears. He was able to use his accessory muscles still when taped at the 10 and 2 position. I had a problem with him shaking and popping posts out. His posts would fly around and smack the side of his face! When I added a flimsy "bridge" the posts would not flop around as much when he shook his head. I just used the zonas tape once around each base and once across to each ear. The bridge would bend and fold when my pup went at attention, and his ears would perk from the 10 and 2 to parallel. I did not use it to hold them in the 10 and 2 position. He is 5 1/2 months now and I am done posting already... I cant believe how fast his ears stood for a long euro show crop. His ears are really, really long. Good luck to you, you will get it after a couple postings:)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Usually you brace for the first two or three postings if your pup is 7/8 weeks old when cropped. You can leave it off after that or use the brace, whichever you prefer.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Often times, when people use the brace, it ultimately leads to pockets from keeping the ears too upright and eventually making them "tee-pee" in so to speak. If you choose to use it, the brace should not be made to hold the ears upright at attention, and should be flexible, not static. Most dogs do not need the brace after 1-2 postings, if they need it at all.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She'll be a day shy of 9 weeks when we take her in. I guess I'll do the first two, then leave them as our tutorial suggests :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts