Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
rocky
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I took rocky tothe vet yesterday to get his sutures removed after 10 days... The vet was a bit upset cause she said I should have had his ears posted up since day 3 and i say o well.i.was told till his sutures were removed and she said nothing.. well my main concern is this she told me that I have to take every week so.that she can repost his ears every week at the cost of of $25 each time cause she said i shouldnt do it.. Well I saw every step she did and it was a simple task and i understand im no a vet but she will be charging me $25 each time so I.waswanting ulls opinion on if I should do it myself I had already bought everyinthing she used to post them and I understand that I should not put them.to tight.. thanks

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
If you do a web search you can find several ways to post that can give you some guidance as you learn to do it yourself. Good luck.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
Do it yourself; ask lots of questions if you need to! There are lots of people willing to help you (for free) :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our vet made us come back every 6 days to repost them but they never charged us for any of the wrappings. It took about 8 months for Panzer's ears to stand up because they are a longer cut. Towards the end I was tired of going up there so much so they were able to show me how to do it and I had no problem doing it. They told me not to wrap them to tight because of the ear circulation.

resized_DSC_4288.JPG

·
Banned
422 Posts
Ask to watch your vet do it. All it took was one time of me watching an expert do it. The hard part is not posting, it is doing it while your dog is as comfortable as possible. It took a few times for me to figure out how to control their wiggles, but don't give up. I usually wait to post until they have been sleeping for at least 30 minutes. This way they still dont know what the hell is going on, and it is much easier on them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yup, your vets just looking for extra cash that they didnt need to charge you !

As stated above, its not rocket science and from the way you sound, its something you can handle very very well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just reposted Joseys ears 5 minutes ago. It's not that hard I do it differently than most and find it more comfortable for her. It takes all of 10 mins and that includes tape cutting time. She has been posted since her stiches were out now for 6 weeks and her ears stand fine. I just don't want to risk it so, will post for probably another 4 weeks also giving her vitamin C. Your vet sounds like a money grubber.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
It is not hard. Use this tutorial EAR POSTING TUTORIAL. But, DO NOT use the Vet Wrap. It works great, but since you haven't posted ears before and you can get Vet Warp too tight and cut off circulation, don't take a chance.

Remember not to pull the tape tight, just warp it loosely around and then gently squeeze with your hand so that it sticks to itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My vet only charges $10 each wrap and an occasional freebie. Takes a total of 10 minutes. I would do it myself, but she guarantees the crop if she does it herself. Our Abby only needed 3 postings after surgery and our male Rusty has needed 4. Removed tape today and they look great! 4-5 weeks.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
eric7363
Our pup came from the Montreal area and we live in S/W Ontario.
So our breeder was a 15 hour round trip.
We knew a former breeder associated with our first 1977 puppy lineage.
He was 1.5 hours away, and was more then happy, to show my wife, how the posting was done.

Our girl use to like to run directly under the coffee table and break her new posts...little bugger yes.
At 7 months old, she still had one lazy ear, another month of posting...ears perfect.
Just a wild guess, it is possible mom posted 30-40 times, in all.
At $25 a pop, close to $1000 wasted...if you don't learn how to do it yourself.

·
Banned
422 Posts
My vet only charges $10 each wrap and an occasional freebie. Takes a total of 10 minutes. I would do it myself, but she guarantees the crop if she does it herself. Our Abby only needed 3 postings after surgery and our male Rusty has needed 4. Removed tape today and they look great! 4-5 weeks.
See this sentence bothers me. What good is this guarantee? What is she going to take the dog back?

Reactions: Cathy43

·
Registered
262 Posts
With my girls crop (which was done by a very reputable vet) I was advise to bring her for her for her postings until the postings were the same every time. I get them changed again this weekend, it will be her third round. Her second post was a bit different because one ear would flop backwards, not good. So the tech pointed that out and added a little gauze at the bend of the flop to secure the ear for proper standing.

I'm guessing it's situations like this as to why some advise to bring the pup in for a good post. Me having no experience in posting nor crops, I would've never guessed that you have to look for those things. I'm sure the first month or two of posting are vital to postings later on?

Nonetheless, once her postings are done the same every week, I will give it a try at it myself. Luckily the tech let's the owner handle the pup while she wraps, which is a great first hand tutorial of to do it right.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
416 Posts
Do them yourself, but remember...practice makes perfect. We were re-posting Duke's ears every 2 hours because he'd be able to fling them off!

Make sure you get the right type of supplies/tape and it'll be all good. The link on DT with step by step instructions is really great. Follow it to the t and you'll be fine.

·
Starchild
170 Posts
Going to Hijack this thread for a bit. Now after the really painful procedure of removing the glue and foam off my dog's head (vet did not warn me how difficult it was going to be) I posted them up for the first time last night. They were up right when I left him, and after this morning this is how I found him in his crate:

My common sense is telling me they should not bend like so. Open to all criticisms and corrections.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Going to Hijack this thread for a bit. Now after the really painful procedure of removing the glue and foam off my dog's head (vet did not warn me how difficult it was going to be) I posted them up for the first time last night. They were up right when I left him, and after this morning this is how I found him in his crate:

My common sense is telling me they should not bend like so. Open to all criticisms and corrections.
Do you have the post going INTO the ear? Looks like they're just out because it's not rooted into the ear?

·
Registered
416 Posts

Do you have the post going INTO the ear? Looks like they're just out because it's not rooted into the ear?

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts

I've heard most people don't remove the glue and foam. Eventually the glue loosens enough that the foam falls off. (I don't have firsthand experience with ear cropping though; my girls' breeder keeps the pups until their ears are healed and they come home in posts.)

If I were responsible for removing the foam I'd probably have used an adhesive dissolver like Uni-Solve or some oil first so it wouldn't have hurt the puppy. I definitely wouldn't have removed it without dissolving the glue first.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts