Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
A couple more weeks Til jacks ears get cropped.. so im looking for success storys on ear posting and what method of posting did you use to achieve your success!
Thanks for helping out with a new dobi owner!
Jamie.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
The breeder flew someone in to crop the puppies ears at 7-8 weeks old...She wore the cup on her head for a week...then she got her stitches taken out ...and the feild goal post put on then lol We had training training class with the breeder so she changed the posts every week for probably 3 months...Some I heard CAN take a long time! I don't know...guestion for everyone...what is the longest time it has taken for a dobes ears to stand that you have heard of? I think the longest possible time it takes is an important thing to know so that you don't get your hopes up about it being only a few months and end up taking em off too early.

Duchess's ears were the first to stand in the litter...and turned out beautiful ...My advice is having them on longer than you think is better than not having them posted long enough...Everyone agree?

I thought the cup that they get at first is real easy...but when you move to the posts sometimes they posts will pop out of the ear so you will have to reposition it back in the ear. Like I said our breeder changed her posts every week. The day thay she would get them changed we were told to take them down in the morning and clean them...they will look weird without their posts...dried up glue stuff from the tape, thin hair,...etc...we would just clean the inside of her ear (they might stand at first but fall later in the afternoon) then she would get her new posts that night at training.
Make sure he doesnt play too rough...or get them wet...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Some great websites about ears...

http://dobermanpages.com/taping.htm
http://www.dpca-breedered.com/ears1.htm
http://www.legarddobermans.com/ABOUT_CROPPED_EARS.html
http://www.dobiedetectives.com/ear posting guide.html
http://www.jovilea.com/Boxers/ears.html

I personally used VetWrap on the actual ears until they were mostly healed, and Elastikon tape at the base of the ear and on the skull, my vet told me that the elastikon can cut off blood flow, so be very careful.

I am now using just Athletic Tape. When I take his ears down to air out, I put a TINY bit of skin bond on a breathe right strip and put it horizontally in his ear, just so that they dont have the opportunity to flop, then leave it in until I post them back up. Feel free to email me or PM me if you need some help.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
PICTURES!
Duchess with what the breeder put on (two stacked cups...) She had this on for a week while she had stitches

HAHA I Always think she looks so small and silly in this picture!

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
She got to go a day without the posts on the day we went to training class for the breeder to change them..
After a couple of weeks...i dont know.. when you take them off to change the posts...in the morning they look like this
(they will fall later in the day so dont get your hopes up

YOU SAY! WOW THOSE ARE like TOOOO straight! lol but they fall...even after awhile of taping and they stand the whole day...they might fall later in the week...so we retaped them for another two weeks to be sure...and voila!
But again it would be nice to know what the longest someone has had to tape so that you don't stop too early

G

·
I work for a vet so I was part of the entire experience. We instantly posted Panzers ears immediately after the Sx. We never used the cups. We used my vets homeade posts and they worked great. His ears were standing only after a few weeks. He is only 4 months now and they look great and its probably been a month since we posted them. ill try putting pics up

·
Registered
602 Posts
It took me about 5-6 months to get her ears to stand perfectly. That was with the long show crop and I did have some problems with her left ear not wanting to stand.

I have heard it can take even longer than that, sometimes until the dog turns one year old. So the key is not to give up early and be very attentive to the ears throughout the process.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What an adorable pup!
Malika probably should have had her tail done, since it interferes with our everyday lives, but, we didn't know better, nor did she...

I still love her the same,
but that cropping is impressive, WOW!!!!

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Duchess is sooooooo adorable. That look on her face, she just looks like such a little princess. (I think she thought that cup was her little crown) Hehe.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
haha! Yeah I think your right! Maybe thats why she never really complained about wearing it! Instead pranced around proudly lol

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
LOL, Very cute! Thanks for the pictures. I know that hes gonna have his ears up for a while. Im just not sure what method would be good. I have seen the method with the tampons that looks to be the best.. or the one with where the lady cut the tape measure in half. that one looks good also.. i guess i can experament heh.
Jamie.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
After the first 2 weeks when hollys posts came off they stood prefect when I went to the vet I said so are your gonna tape them again ? He said no they stand to good as of now I learned if you tape when they stand so good thats bad for them.. I dont really understand that but oh well anyways they stood prefectly for 4 days after that which i think is slightly suprising anyways she is once again taped up and so far so good she just scratches really bad sometimes and chases the other dogs under the table and well doesnt make it with out whining a bit lol I think she learned to not jump on Dukes back anymore when he's trying to eat! so she can learn to not hurt her ears

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
acampa said:
I work for a vet so I was part of the entire experience. We instantly posted Panzers ears immediately after the Sx. We never used the cups. We used my vets homeade posts and they worked great. His ears were standing only after a few weeks. He is only 4 months now and they look great and its probably been a month since we posted them. ill try putting pics up
How can you post them with the stiches still in?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
CoAl-s-Mom said:
How can you post them with the stiches still in?
Although I didn't have Lexus until after her stitches were out, she was also posted before she was even awake from the anesthetic. The type of brace we used didn't touch much less interfere with the stitches at all.
Not sure, maybe they had something similar.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Bruno got his ears done about 9 weeks. Here is a picture with his ears pinned up...

we did this till about a week ago. He's not 5 months and they are standing pretty good :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts