Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Austin, Texas area that is able to help me with posting my pups ears? I've noticed the list and contacted jennie but her last activity was almost 5 months ago so i wanted to put it in the thread as well. I've had a dobie before and it didnt seem like it was as difficult as it is with this one. His cropping was exactly 2 weeks ago today so hes fairly new to it and i can understand how he must feel awkward with ppl messing around his ears for no reason to him. Any assistance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello All,

I was wanting to see if anyone is in the Austin, TX area willing to assist with posting my pups ears? This is my second dobie so I've done it before I just don't recall it being so difficult. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I got the pm. I sent you back a response. I've read threads on technique and that's not what I'm needing assistance with for the most part. I'm more or less needing someone able to actually help me post the ears. That's why I put Austin, Texas in the post title in the hopes of finding someone in the area able to do so.

·
Premium Member
9,805 Posts
Hello all,

I was wondering if there was anyone in the Austin, Texas area that is able to help me with posting my pups ears? I've noticed the list and contacted jennie but her last activity was almost 5 months ago so i wanted to put it in the thread as well. I've had a dobie before and it didnt seem like it was as difficult as it is with this one. His cropping was exactly 2 weeks ago today so hes fairly new to it and i can understand how he must feel awkward with ppl messing around his ears for no reason to him. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Dash

Start a thread of your own asking for help--requests like this get lost because the thread is so lengthy by now.

I know there are people in Texas--I'm too far away to be very helpful.

Your puppy may have a longer crop than the previous Dobe or it may be a different style. Puppies get used to having their ears posted and also accustomed to being handled a lot. John (4 X 4 Bike) says you build a better relationship with the puppy with all the handling and I agree. And vets will tell you that dogs with cropped ears are easier to deal with because they've been handled a lot every since they were very young.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Hello all,

Getting posted isn't fun for puppies in multiple ways. Make it as easy, quick and fun as possible. Use high value treats and have the posts and tape ready (pre cut, posts taped up...). The faster you can get it done the better. I have posted my puppies on my own almost very time.

I would get a very high value treat like chicken or a bully stick (you'll want bully sticks for teething anyways). I used bullys since I did it on my own most of the time and it keeps them entertained. Have someone hold the collar under his chin with a finger while keeping the same hand gently holding the jaw straight while the puppy is chewing on the treat that's being held in the other hand. It's helpful if the puppy is in their lap and the head is close to their chest so there's less room for the head to move.

Also get the post in by twirling it down into the ear while you are pulling the ear up. Then quickly put the bottom piece of tape on (which is a larger piece of tape) and then the very top piece (which is a smaller piece of tape). This will give you time to post the in between part while still holding the post in place.

You can do this! Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts