Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,280 Posts
I strongly suggest you try getting in touch with the DPCA chapter club local to you (go to dpca.org and click on chapter clubs) and ask if someone would be willing to help you out in person. An experienced person helping you out a time or two will go a very long way towards helping you feel comfortable with posting.

Can you post a picture of what his ears look like after a few hours out of posts right now? It's possible they are standing correctly without posts with a short crop, but usually even a short crop needs a bit of posting.

Reactions: melbrod

·
Big Lil pup
6,157 Posts
Yeah... What you said gamer. He's being a "baby butt".He will get used to it, as will you.

You want to post through teething. Until about 7 months of age.

Don't risk it. Keep posting.

JMO

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@MeadowCat, I've email the chapter of Greater Austin and will hopefully hear back soon. Thanks for the recommendation. Austin is about an hour away from where I live, but am willing to travel for help, most definitely. As for a picture, here's the most recent one I have from last weekend.

Ugh sorry everyone! I'm of course going to still post. We've read up about posting way before we even got our pup. It was just .. super frustrating tonight. And whenever we're done, he always acts so traumatized, even though I do my best to make it fun. (treats, praise, petting, kisses)

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,096 Posts
You said the insides of his ears are irritated......does it look bad enough that that could be what is bothering him? His ears looks healthy in your picture...but I can't see down into his ear canal.

You may be already doing this...I can't tell from your description, but a bit of a cotton ball is easier to work with than a cotton pad or gauze square.

As it looks, you definitely need to keep posting to have his ears standing well when he is grown. But if his ears are majorly irritated (raw or oozing) then he should stay out of posts until that area is healed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not the best pictrures, but this was this morning. I was thinking maybe his ear was hurting, because when the posts came out last night (there was a piece of cotton ball at the end) there was a little blood on it. :/

·
Registered
9,594 Posts
Not the best pictrures, but this was this morning. I was thinking maybe his ear was hurting, because when the posts came out last night (there was a piece of cotton ball at the end) there was a little blood on it. :/

About the cotton pad--I think you are trying to stuff too much stuff (cotton pad at end of post) into his ear. You only need a little bit of cotton--nothing like a whole cotton ball of cotton pad or gauze pad. Also when you are posting--when you twist post into ear push down at the same time--and start the tape on the post--tape toward the top of the head (it will be clockwise on one ear and counter clockwise on the other ear) bring tape up, around to the back of the ear--use a finger to push the back edge of the ear toward where the tape started and aim tape down to connect to where it started.

This reduces the size of the opening at the base of the ear, makes it much harder to shake post out and makes post in ear much more secure. Take second piece of tape--make second wrap partly over first but same up and over so that looking at the ear the tape makes kind of a herringbone pattern--since you've been having problems with posts coming out I'd probably do a third wrap the same way at the base.

Finish the taping as you've been doing.

Just remember the cotton pad is small--only there to pad the base of the posts so that it absorbs brown waxy stuff that forms and keeps the bare foam from coming in contact with the inside bottom of the ear canal.

But with blood on the bad you probably will have to stay unposted until the scabby spot inside is fully healed.

But even with just minimal posting that isn't staying in place long you can see that the ears are standing more correctly than they were in the picture from the cart at Home Depot or Lowes.

·
Super Moderator
21,280 Posts
What dobebug said. From the pictures, I wouldn't be happy with stopping posting - his ears aren't firm and straight in the picture in the cart, so they really aren't done yet. It sounds like they may be a bit irritated and you might need to wait a few days to try again.

Again, you are in Texas and there are TONS of great people there who would probably be willing to show you in person how to post properly...I know someone else on the forum just met up with one of our great breeders who graciously showed him how to correct an ear issue. I really suspect if you contact the chapter club closest to you they can put you in touch with someone who would help you out.

Make sure you are using the smallest size backer rod - the 3/8 would help because it's the narrowest and will fit the easiest into his ear and be the easiest to get deep in there. You want to be sure even the bottom end of that post is covered up with some tape so it's not irritating his ear, and then just a tiny piece of cotton square. You can also powder the end of that post with just a touch of gold bond powder to help keep the ear dry and help with irritation.

Keep it up - you'll get it!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I've reached out to the DPCA chapter club in Austin and got a reply back asking what I was using to post with and where I was located. I hope she links me up with someone near where I live (or even in Austin as it's only about an hour's drive away) who can show me. I'm definitely a "learn by seeing and doing" type. If, for whatever reason, I don't get the help I need I'll probably look for Texas breeders here on the forum who won't mind a visitor over spring break.

Thank yall again for the help and continued advice and encouragement. I'm going to wait until maybe Saturday to try again and I'll keep checking the scab in his ear meanwhile.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I've reached out to the DPCA chapter club in Austin and got a reply back asking what I was using to post with and where I was located. I hope she links me up with someone near where I live (or even in Austin as it's only about an hour's drive away) who can show me. I'm definitely a "learn by seeing and doing" type. If, for whatever reason, I don't get the help I need I'll probably look for Texas breeders here on the forum who won't mind a visitor over spring break.

Thank yall again for the help and continued advice and encouragement. I'm going to wait until maybe Saturday to try again and I'll keep checking the scab in his ear meanwhile.

I’m in San Antonio and am happy to help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts