Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Posting - A few questions - 1st time owner

Tags
posting
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  lyndsaykay 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and just picked up my 10 week old boy on Sunday. He's had his ears posted 3 times now, the 3rd time being last night when I did for the first time (first time dobe owner!). When the breeder posted them on Sunday while I was there she showed me that sometimes the glue from the tape can stick to the ear. Is there a correct way to gently get the sticky-ness off the ear before re-posting? I also noticed when taking the posts off myself that part of the ear is almost folded over like a flap on the inner part of the ear (closest to head). I unfortunately didn't take a picture before putting the posts up but does anyone know what I am referring too? I will have to post pics when I do it again this weekend. I don't see a fold on any of the finished postings so I want to makes sure before I allow it to keep up like that. One last question, he's been scratching A LOT at the base of the ear. I ended up getting him a cone for when he's in his crate and at night when I can't stop him. Is this also normal? For reference, I use paper tape, clear transpore tape, Caldesene powder, Blue Gold Bond powder, Tampons , and Co-Flex (VetWrap). Any help would be great!!

#2 ·
a simple adhesive remover works great for the glue. I have seen a lot of people use goo-gone, and others just simply wet with posts and tape with warm water to loosen up the glue before removing everything.

The crease in the ear that your talking about, is the natural fold. You never want to disrupt that fold, so when you tape, make sure you wrap over the head and towards the back of the head, which allows for this flap to fold over itself, rather than the other way which unfolds the ear. The pic belows is the fold i'm taking about, if this isnt what your asking about, pls post a pic for us.

The scratching in the beginning is normal, but should reduce. I would be mad and shake my head, etc if someone forced a tampon down my ear.

Also, you might want to check out this thread, i used this method of posting, and it was easy and end result was great.
http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/47747-ear-posting-directions-photo-tutorial-my-method.html

Good luck, and congrats on your new pup

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the info! I believe that is the same fold I was referring to but when I change the posts on Saturday I will make sure - My boyfriend who was helping me assured me that it was fine so I didn't take too much notice but later on I starting getting worried about it. Also - I like the posting method you used and referenced, I may change to that depending on how the next few postings go. Thanks again!!

#4 ·
Yes, keep the fold the way Monk showed you.

If you are using paper tape anyway, try masking tape since it doesn't pull any fur off and doesn't leave any residue. I used it to finish up Parker's ears when only the top third needed bracing.

A newly posted pup should not scratch more than 10 or 15 minutes before he forgets about it and goes on. Scratching any longer is a sign something is wrong with the posting job. Let it go for say 30 to 45 minutes and if the pup is still scratching, you need to take the posts out and redo.

Make sure you are not pulling the tape too tight on the ear which can cut the circulation off.

I would never ever use the Vet Wrap and hate to see people use it because it serves no purpose other than to keep the posts clean, which is not necessary, and it is dangerous to use if not wrapped loosely, as it tightens over time and will cut the circulation off.

#5 ·
on a side note..all of what Linda says is true, but if the pup keeps scratching it might not be a bad post job, your pup can also be alergic to the tape and or the glue that is being used on the tape. Might try to switch a dif company, its all trial and error

#6 ·
My vet who did my girls ears used ether to take the sticky off. He uses the the kind from an auto store. It works fast but aslo removes oil from inside ear so the foam can stick. He also uses 1 inch elasticon tape to wrap Any vet has is. It is a fabric tape and also will let the ears breath a little.

#11 · (Edited)
A couple of words of caution here. Ether is undoubtably the most effective adhesive residue remover but it is also highly flammable AND under some circumstances, explosive. The stuff from auto supply is called starter fluid and now only comes in a spray can and if you are going to use it use it only outdoors.

Having got that off my chest...I don't even bother to remove tape residue until the posting process is complete. Plain old oil, cooking oil, baby oil, mineral oil will remove it but it's a slower process and then you have to remove the oil with a detergent or degreaser of some sort. And if you are doing this sort of thing Simple Green is a good, safe degreaser--don't use it full strength though--cut it at least 50/50 with water.

The elasticon tape is far too sticky for my taste and it's stretchy--makes it very easy to tape an ear too tightly by accident. Johnson & Johnson Zonas tape (you can usually buy this from your vet or by the box on line from a number of companies--google it by name) or from the regular drug stores you can get a nearly identical produce also by Johnson & Johnson called Coach Athletic Tape--occasionally you can find it in single rolls in 1" or 1-1/2" but I generally buy it in a four pack of 1-1/2"--for taping ears I usually split it into 3/4" which is the width I prefer anyway. The J & J tapes are low tack (really what you want to use) porous so they are breathable and conform well to the shape of the ear you are posting.

You can use plain old masking tape but I think it's harder to use than the J & J tape.

I really don't like using Vet wrap or any other tapes of that type--unless you've had a lot of experience with it it's really all too easier to stretch it while taping the ear and it does shrink the longer it stays on and you can end up cutting off circulation which is a disaster in the making.

By the way--I got a notice a couple of months ago from a company that I buy skin adhesive from that said that Uni-Solve is off the market presently. They didn't say why--it does work very well and was always very safe but you may find that you can't buy it at this time.

#7 ·
Last night I re-posted and Monk, it was the natural fold you were talking about. Thanks for your pic, that really helped me out. Last night was really the first time I was able to take a real good look at the ears without the posts. I attached 2 pics here, do his ears look okay for it being his 3rd posting after the crop? I think his left ear looks a bit inward but I'm not sure. He wouldn't sit still long enough for me to take a head-on, straight pic. He also stopped scratching as much.

#8 ·
Try Zonas tape that you can get from a pharmacist. It is perfect for the job and what many breeders, as well as mine, use. To take the tape off I use Uni-Solve by Smith and Nephew. When I got my pup I bought a whole box (12 roles of Zonas tape. He is now 5mos. old and I am still using that original 12 rolls. I am still on the original bottle of Uni-Solve. Before I take down the ears I saturate the tape with the Uni-Solve and let it sit about 5-7 mins. The tape then comes right off. If there is any sticky residue on the inside of the ear, I take a cotton ball and put some Uni-Solve on it and gently rub it to get it off. Works great. BTW both of the items I use are human grade. I would be very careful using things like Goof-Off and the like.

#9 ·
I used baby oil to get the adhesive off Dylan's ears before reposting. It took a few minutes, but it worked pretty well. And what didn't come off immediately did slide off later. Of course, you get baby oil all over the place. But I preferred that to putting any kind of chemical on his ear.

When you describe his ears, it brings to mind a thread that was on here not long ago. I'm relatively new, and am still figuring this website out, so I couldn't find it (if anyone wants to jump in here and find it for me, I'd appreciate it). But it sounds like he's possibly developing a "pocket" in one ear? Where the ear starts folding over the skull toward the center of his head. Anyway, they've got all kind of advice on here for eliminating pockets (again, if anyone wants to jump in, please do). And the posting tutorial that Monk put on here for you is fantastic!

#13 ·
What a pretty puppy!!! Where did you get her, if you don't mind saying? Also, who did the crop? That is a nice job and we always need to know the names of good ear croppers. What is the name and address of the cropper, please?:)

Having got that off my chest...I don't even bother to remove tape residue until the posting process is complete. Plain old oil, cooking oil, baby oil, mineral oil will remove it but it's a slower process and then you have to remove the oil with a detergent or degreaser of some sort. And if you are doing this sort of thing Simple Green is a good, safe degreaser--don't use it full strength though--cut it at least 50/50 with water.

I didn't remove the tape residue either, but I ended up with a wet, seepy, nasty mess in the fold of both ears. The fur just rubbed off and I had to go to a different posting method, molefoam, till that part of the ear healed. I also used the extra glue tho...can never, ever think of the name of it.

The elasticon tape is far too sticky for my taste and it's stretchy--makes it very easy to tape an ear too tightly by accident.

Thank you for repeating this. I have seen a couple of pups with black ear tips that had to be amputated over that stuff. A couple of years ago a pup on this forum had to have nearly all of it's ears amputated.

Johnson & Johnson Zonas tape (you can usually buy this from your vet or by the box on line from a number of companies--google it by name) or from the regular drug stores you can get a nearly identical produce also by Johnson & Johnson called Coach Athletic Tape--occasionally you can find it in single rolls in 1" or 1-1/2" but I generally buy it in a four pack of 1-1/2"--for taping ears I usually split it into 3/4" which is the width I prefer anyway. The J & J tapes are low tack (really what you want to use) porous so they are breathable and conform well to the shape of the ear you are posting.

That is what I used also. You are the only one that I have seen that tears the tape in half to 3/4 like I do. That size is perfect for me and Patty Edwards is the one who suggested the tape, tape size and tearing in half.:):):)

OP, all you have to do is clip the start and then the tape will tear true.

You can use plain old masking tape but I think it's harder to use than the J & J tape.

I really don't like using Vet wrap or any other tapes of that type--unless you've had a lot of experience with it it's really all too easier to stretch it while taping the ear and it does shrink the longer it stays on and you can end up cutting off circulation which is a disaster in the making.

That cannot be repeated enough, IMO.

Hey there, instead of making a new topic I figured I'd just post in here which kinda adds to the OP's questions. When I put the tampon's in my pups ears, he always, always scratches his left ear. If not scratching, he rubs his ear on the floor, causing the tampon to come out of the ear, so it now sits normally, up and straight just not in the ear.

Just curious if it makes a huge difference if its in his ear drum or not. I ended up taking the tampon off his ear and his ear is standing perfectly straight.

Thanks!
You will get better responses if you make your own thread or you could do a search on the many ear taping threads. Whichever you would rather do.

#12 ·
Hey there, instead of making a new topic I figured I'd just post in here which kinda adds to the OP's questions. When I put the tampon's in my pups ears, he always, always scratches his left ear. If not scratching, he rubs his ear on the floor, causing the tampon to come out of the ear, so it now sits normally, up and straight just not in the ear.

Just curious if it makes a huge difference if its in his ear drum or not. I ended up taking the tampon off his ear and his ear is standing perfectly straight.

Thanks!

#14 ·
Pretty puppy and nice ears! Yes, it looks like a slight pocket starting in one. Tape a cotton ball to your post in such a position to "push" it out next time IF it's still there. Sometimes, the first few postings, the ear just isn't strong enough to be perfectly straight.

I use the J&J Coach tape to tape ears. it is the same as Zonas and more readily available. I use J&J heavy duty cloth tape to back tape the rod. I don't use adhesive remover because there's never any residue on the ears using these 2 tapes. I DO shave the inside of the ear a little.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.