Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vet recommends giving cotton balls to retrieve sharp objects to protect intestines while passing. Anyone here have success with this method?
I think my dog may have eaten possible 3 saftey pins. One large, 2 medium. I'm giving plenty of water to keep things moving along. I'm just worried that there may end up being damage from the "watch and see" the cotton balls work method. But I would definitely prefer this method to work over surgery!

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
I've no answer for you really, except to say the cotton ball method seems to be recommended by lots of folks. Anyway, we'll be thinking of you guys--hope everything "comes out" (pun intended) alright for you.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Ouch, I have no experience but wish you all the best. I guess you will need to do some poo checking later today and if theres nothing there go into the vet for scans?

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
What is the difference between your dog eating the stuffing out of a toy say and you feeding it cotton wool balls. Surely they could cause a blockage just the same as could the toy stuffing? Or am I being dense. Hope not.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
Question: were the safety pins open or closed? If it were me, I'd want an xray.
Open or closed ws the first thing I thought of also. I've heard of feeding bread to a dog that has swallowed something sharp, like pins, but not cotton balls.

Any updates?

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I hope Ziva passes them with no problems.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is the first I've actually sat down all day. I've been on poop patrol and inspection all day. I'll save you the details of the day! Wanted to go to bed, but wanted to make sure I gave you guys an update. I appreciate the well wishes and advice! First, I just realized I posted this in the "doberman health" by mistake. This involved Storm, my standard poodle, not Ziva my dobe. Sorry for the mistake and/or confusion.
Storm is doing well, running around, eating, drinking, acting normal. I wasn't sure rather he ate the pins. I really think he didn't, but called the vet as a precaution. We've found one of the missing pins, it was open! It was lodged under the table leg. Now still missing 2. We were out of bread and veggie oil. I happened to still have a bag of 100% natural cotton balls, so I tried it, as suggested. He has not had xrays. I was advised to watch him closely for any signs or symptoms. He has been completely normal. Thank God.
He finally pooped not too long ago. It included all cotton balls, but not a single pin. The cotton ball theory did work. It contained a slightly sharp piece of wood. (Maybe from the yard, I'm not sure where that came from). I'll be inspecting my yard tomorrow looking for where that may have come from.

Now we wonder if maybe he never ate any of the pins or if he did & they could be stuck. Vet said the symptoms would be obvious if that were the case & we'd get him there asap. We'd likely know that by now, but I'm still watching him closely. He's going with me everywhere tomorrow! He's running around happy as a lark and tackling Ziva. (She enjoys it.) No vomiting, no BM issues, gums still pink, abdomen feels & looks great.

Hope this answers your questions.
I'm off to bed, as I have another long day tomorrow.
Thanks all

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
I had an aussie that got into chicken bones in the trash. That was bad enough. But I had dropped a correll bowl and it shattered into a million pieces and THAT was on top of the chicken bones. Called vet and he told me to feed 6 or 7 pieces of bread and then hyd peroxide. Dog threw everything up within 30 min. Those shards were encased in the bread and that's what protected the throat coming back up. No kidding.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,450 Posts
I can be worried about a poodle's health ALMOST as much as a doberman's. LOL

Do poodles have a penchant for eating non-edibles as much as dobes? I had no idea.

It sounds like Storm's problems are working their way out...uh, moving right along...uh, coming out just fine....uh (desperate now) being eliminated bit by bit--whoever came up with those phrases must have had a dog. :)

Give Storm a hug and a kiss from me and tell him to stop worrying his mommy. I hope things continue to improve for you both.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
He's still doing well. Acting normal. No abdominal tenderness or hardening. He's running around acting goofy as ever.

And yes, he will eat pretty much anything! He seems to love chewing on metal & eating toilet paper or paper towels! He'd even eat the TP directly off the roll! The sucker is so freaking smart! At 9 weeks he could open up the bathroom foot peddle trash can using his paw. He can now open up the sliding glass door & let himself out too! We had to instal one of those antibreak-in bars to prevent him from letting himself and the other two dogs out.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just an update. He's still doing well. Guess he never ate them. Paranoid mom I guess.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Whew.
Have tried the bread/oil concoction when our girl counter surfed a cooked chicken breast. Thankfully she was fine.
I wouldn't even know where to find natural(untreated-processed?) cotton balls.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Paranoid Mom?? No such thing...One time when we first got Sofia, she was coughing in a strange and kinda ( to me) scary way.
Off to the vet we go to check out her heart.. I was terrified it was cardio-myopathy or worse... turned out she was sticking her nose all the way down to the bottom of her water bowl while drinking and getting water up her nose... ) Paranoid?? I don'tthink so.. extra, super cautious, vigilent and slightly obsessed?? Sure
Glad your kid is okay...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts