Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Griff's refusing to take food from my hand, and he's yelping in pain when he moves sometimes. I'm pretty sure it's his neck, he doesn't want me to touch there, and with the balance problems he's been having, I'm worried. Hoping it's just from rough play with Little Dog, but we'll see. He even turned down roast beef and for a dog who split a tooth in half without crying in pain about it, this has me a little freaked out.

Something like this I'm not going to delay a vet visit, and we're off to the vet in about a half hour. We could use some good thoughts.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Poor Griff, I'm sure the vet will get down to the bottom of this. Lets hope its something as simple as a strain, and nothing too complicated like a fracture or wobblers :(

·
Super Moderator
21,701 Posts
Something like this I'm not going to delay a vet visit, and we're off to the vet in about a half hour. We could use some good thoughts.
This is one of the best sentences I've read on DT lately. Thank you.

Good thoughts headed your way.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Hoping you get good news. And good for you for getting in when you need to!!!

Reactions: SoCalGirl and River

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the best news. Griff's vet thinks it's either Wobblers or disc disease. Best case, it's a slipped disc and can be treated with anti-inflammatories and rest. I don't know about the worst case right now.

We've got an appointment with the neurologist on Thursday, and the tech there was going on about diagnostics and MRIs, and by the way, that could cost a couple thousand, but you need to do the in depth exam first before we start going on about anything else- so right now, I'm just going one step at a time. She was very nice, but it was a real dizzying list of things to hear. Whatever Griff needs, I'll figure out a way to get it done. It's just overwhelming going from a dog who was his normal self yesterday morning to this. He's only 6.

Griff's pretty happy with his pain meds right now, he passed out on the couch. I'll keep updating this thread and let you all know what's going on. And yeah, I'm glad I didn't wait. For something like this, don't wait, just go to the vet. Mine gave me a list of things to look out for- balance problems, tripping, weakness in the front end, pain- that will require an emergency vet. Otherwise, Griff's on crate rest till Thursday, which I don't think he'll mind.

Thank you all for the good thoughts- DT is great to lean on when something like this happens and I wanted to say how much I appreciate you all.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best possible outcome. Having been through Wobblers with my first dobe, I know what it can be like to deal with.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Fingers and paws crossed for you. In February of 2010 Flirt had a Wobbler's scare. Most signs pointed to it. We did pred and pain meds for a week without much improvement so went to neurologist. The MRI with 2 views and spinal tap and exam was just under $3,000. HOWEVER, NO WOBBLER'S :) She had blood leaking into her spinal fulid, which isn't horribly common and the symptoms mimic wobblers. There are a few other things which also haev similar symptoms. Hope you get as lucky as we did. She recovered 100%.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
PLEASE do the cold laser therapy on him, it will WORK . I have see it do wonders for dogs with disc disease and wobbler's. Steriod's will only Mask a problem and can cause liver damage.
Good luck

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll look into treatment options once I talk to the neurologist tomorrow. Griff had a good night, slept straight through, is eating, and he's comfortable right now. No yelping. Tramadol's some good stuff, even if it does make him a bit loopy.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
It's not the best news. Griff's vet thinks it's either Wobblers or disc disease. Best case, it's a slipped disc and can be treated with anti-inflammatories and rest. I don't know about the worst case right now.

We've got an appointment with the neurologist on Thursday, and the tech there was going on about diagnostics and MRIs, and by the way, that could cost a couple thousand, but you need to do the in depth exam first before we start going on about anything else- so right now, I'm just going one step at a time. She was very nice, but it was a real dizzying list of things to hear. Whatever Griff needs, I'll figure out a way to get it done. It's just overwhelming going from a dog who was his normal self yesterday morning to this. He's only 6.

Griff's pretty happy with his pain meds right now, he passed out on the couch. I'll keep updating this thread and let you all know what's going on. And yeah, I'm glad I didn't wait. For something like this, don't wait, just go to the vet. Mine gave me a list of things to look out for- balance problems, tripping, weakness in the front end, pain- that will require an emergency vet. Otherwise, Griff's on crate rest till Thursday, which I don't think he'll mind.

Thank you all for the good thoughts- DT is great to lean on when something like this happens and I wanted to say how much I appreciate you all.
Well, crap, so sorry to hear this. I am sending huge vibes to y'all.

I'm also sympathetic about the financial hardships and sacrifices you may soon face--believe me, I know what it's like to have a young, seemingly healthy dog one minute, and one that will cost tens of thousands, the next.

I will give a shout out for a good dog chiro, here--see if you can discuss that as one of your options when you get to that point in the exams/diagnostic process.

I'll look into treatment options once I talk to the neurologist tomorrow. Griff had a good night, slept straight through, is eating, and he's comfortable right now. No yelping. Tramadol's some good stuff, even if it does make him a bit loopy.
So glad to hear he's got some temporary relief while all this gets sorted out.

You are a good Griff-Mommy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sad to hear about River, please keep us posted. My 6yr Dobie is showing similar symptoms.
I'm taking shadow to the vet this weekend =(.

Hope River gets better soon!

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
News?

Reactions: River

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got Griffin home from the vet. She suspects Wobblers, after doing a neuro exam and going off symptoms. But there's no 100 percent way to know for sure without an MRI. It could be a slipped disc, which will heal with meds and rest. Breed plus symptoms plus the neuro exam results though, add up. The vet isn't going to do the knee-jerk reaction and say yes it's Wobblers, she's gone over other possible things it could be too. She was happy with how he's doing right now and that he's responding to meds.

However, because he's doing so well now and he responded so well to the medications, we're going with a more conservative two weeks of enforced bed rest and medications to see if it heals. He's not allowed to play with other dogs, no stairs, no jumping onto furniture, I'll be elevating food bowls, and no running for 4-6 weeks. He will also be on harnesses for life- no more collars. Time to go get a no pull harness, he did a great sled dog impression in the vet's office today on his harness. Since I'm still on crutches myself, that won't work!

I've also got some recommendations for alternative medicine type care. So I will be looking into those, and also monitoring Griffin to see if the meds are working. We're going to re-evaluate in two weeks, if he doesn't improve, my next step is the MRI. Eventual surgery is something I need to think about, and prepare for. The vet's sending me a full report of the exam this evening, I'll post again with more info from that.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I just got Griffin home from the vet. She suspects Wobblers, after doing a neuro exam and going off symptoms. But there's no 100 percent way to know for sure without an MRI. It could be a slipped disc, which will heal with meds and rest. Breed plus symptoms plus the neuro exam results though, add up. The vet isn't going to do the knee-jerk reaction and say yes it's Wobblers, she's gone over other possible things it could be too. She was happy with how he's doing right now and that he's responding to meds.

However, because he's doing so well now and he responded so well to the medications, we're going with a more conservative two weeks of enforced bed rest and medications to see if it heals. He's not allowed to play with other dogs, no stairs, no jumping onto furniture, I'll be elevating food bowls, and no running for 4-6 weeks. He will also be on harnesses for life- no more collars. Time to go get a no pull harness, he did a great sled dog impression in the vet's office today on his harness. Since I'm still on crutches myself, that won't work!

I've also got some recommendations for alternative medicine type care. So I will be looking into those, and also monitoring Griffin to see if the meds are working. We're going to re-evaluate in two weeks, if he doesn't improve, my next step is the MRI. Eventual surgery is something I need to think about, and prepare for. The vet's sending me a full report of the exam this evening, I'll post again with more info from that.
Oh gosh, I had missed that you're on crutches now--me too <cyber-high-five>

Makes crises THAT much more fun to deal with, does it not?

I'm sorry to hear of the potential diagnosis, but your vet sounds good, and it does sound like a good plan.

Will continue to send huge vibage, hopefully it's merely an injury and will heal just fine.

Reactions: River
1 - 20 of 43 Posts