Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! My girl is 5 days post crop and her surgeon is closed for the week. Today she woke up with crust and ooze and looks like a couple stitches popped. It doesn’t smell and she isn’t bothered. She’s already on amoxicillin. What’s your rec on what to do? Wait it out and see if it looks better or head to a vet in the morning?
Thanks all!
Sleeve Gesture Liver Wrist Electric blue

Wood Fawn Liver Trunk Working animal

·
Premium Member
13,467 Posts
The very base is where you most often get popped sutures--and when they pop they almost always causes bleeding and I think that's why you are seeing so much crustiness. I don't think your problem is a matter of possible infection--since she's on antibiotics that should be taken care of but she should go back to the cropper for the area to be cleaned up and restitched. Since your cropper is not available for a week I'd suggest another vet but I'm afraid you are going to run into the problem of non-cropping vets being afraid to touch a crop or any part of it--I know clinics where they won't even pull sutures for an owner because they don't know anything about cropping. (that should be in quotes--because that is really just what they say.)

Is the clinic open where she was cropped? I'd call them and see if they can refer you to a vet who can and will resuture the area--I really, really don't like the idea of waiting until your cropper is there and and available to get that area resutured. The longer an area that needs to be resutured goes the bigger deal it becomes--after it sits for even a few days the area that was cut and sutured starts to try to heal and then just resuturing doesn't fix it--the edges have to be cleaned until good tissue is present on both sides because otherwise they will not properly heal.

Good luck

dobebug

1 - 4 of 4 Posts