Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My German Pinscher has always been a handful and extremely anxious and hyperactive (we got him from a bad breeder in Germany - the dogs weren't socialized and the father was aggressive), but it seems that of late he is going through a phase where his anxiety is at it's peak (he has panic attacks and get's scared about things he was never scared of before eg. toaster, kids on bikes etc etc)

A few details about him:
-10 Years old
-neutered
-gets about 2 hours of exercise a day (either/or/and biking (with my bike he has no issues), running, walking, playing with chuck it) 4 walks a day
-he is with me all the time (max time left alone 3-4 hours), also take him to work
-I also have a minpin - 12 years old, who is totally calm in temperament
-no change in eating habits or anything else.

Has anyone experienced this with their dog?:confused:
Could his change in temperament be of medical nature?:confused:
I have also heard that sometimes dogs become 'different' in their old age.

I would very much like to hear your comments.
Jenn

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Anytime you see a sudden change in temperament it is wise IMO, to rule out medical issues. I would take him in for a complete check up and also have a full thyroid panel run. Dog's can't tell you they don't feel right or what is wrong, so oftentimes the only symptom that we see are changes in temperament or behavior.

Good Luck with your boy. I hope you find the problem.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I totally agree with above; a vet checkup is in order. Sometimes when dogs get older and their eyesight or hearing starts to go, this can cause fearfulness and nervousness too.

I hope you get to the bottom of it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, i will take him to the vet. i was thinking he might be hyperthyroid - but i have never heard that occurring in dogs (hypo - yes, but not hyper).
he see's very well, scent and hearing is also top.
i will have the blood work done, problem is he also gets panic attacks at the vet. it takes 4 people to hold him down. a real ordeal for him and for us :(

thanks again for the advice! appreciate it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts