Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I called around and I might be getting Trinity fixed tomorrow if my mother has the money. I wanted to wait till she was done growing to get her fixed. Ths SPCA said for 80 - 90 dollars she will get pain killers, get fixed, her rabies, and whatever else she needs. My jaw hit the floor when i heard that price. I got my mother cat fixed there but i have never gone through them for anything else. Thats a great price considering for my normal vet is about $100 just for the vet to look at trinity in the little room. I cant wait till she gets fixed I'm hoping to get her in tomorrow if possible before her next heat starts. I do have 1 question though. Can she get fixed if she starts her heat? It should be starting around the next 2 weeks or so and the clinic which does the fixing is only open wenesday thru saturday and its by appointment only. I cant wait for her to get fixed there will be no more mess to clean up considering i could never put a diaper on her cause she would tear it off in like 2 seconds lol.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Generally they will want to get her surgery done before (or after) the heat, let them know that she is due to come into heat soon, and hopefully they will sqeeze her in if possible. When she is in heat, her uterus will be enlarged and she will bleed more, so they try not to do it during the heat cycle. If she is in heat, the cost will probably be a little higher (she will be under anestetic a little longer, and surgery takes more time)

I'm glad to hear it though!! Trinity will be happy and healthier longer!! Plus no more messy heats to deal with!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spaying whilst in season can bring on a phantom preganancy, if she is near to a season I would wait until she is halfway between her next seasons before spaying. Vets in the UK will not spay whilst a bitch is in season.

It is a more complicated op whilst her organs are swollen so the risks are greater.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
LapDog said:
What is a Phantom pregnancy?
LD,
When I was a teen, a friend of mine had 2 showdogs - Fluffy a Great Pyrenees and Nikki a Golden Retriever. Neither were spayed (obviously). Nikki had her first phantom pregnancy around 18 months. She had a basket of her favorite stuffed animals that she carried around and acted like they were her puppies. One in particular was a stuffed hedgehod - it was so strange (bitter sweet maybe) to see her carry this stuffy around, lie down next to it and then look at it like she was just waiting for it to start nursing.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Try not to do it when the bitch is in heat. They bleed more and there is a chance of more complications to happen. I know $100.00 dollars is money but you are getting alot done for that. One spay at my vet and nothing else was $297.00. My daughter in the city paid $432.00. It cost me once to put my cat down on a weekend that was hit by a car and his spine was broken $368.00. That is part of owning an animal, I'm trying to convince my younger kids to be vets. lol :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts