Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jordan's fur is slowly thinning behind the front and rear legs, spreading along the sides. At first it was very hard to notice and I just wondered about it and now I notice it is progressively thinning. He is eating the Canidae ALS and his fur looks great otherwise, nice and shiney and silky. Summer's is doing great also. When looking at the benefits of the different formulas the ALS states that it has "10 Natural Skin & Coat Conditioners" where the Lamb states Hypoallergenic Formulation – "Excellent for Problem Skin & Allergies".

I like using the ALS and using different protein sources but worried that one of these may be causing the thinning hair. He was on ProPlan puppy before this and looking back I remember it was already starting to thin behind the leg areas and to the sides of the leg areas which makes me think if allergy is an issue it would be a chicken allergy.

I am about to open another 40 lb bag of the Canidae and wondered if it would be a good idea to call the company and have them deliver a bag of the Lamb and Rice to switch off before I open it.

I should also note that I notice him scratching. He does not have fleas and is on Frontline preventative.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
You might want to PM Tom&King, he had the worse case scenario with King with thinning hair. He might have some other ideas of what might be causing the hair loss. I know he went through alot with this and his experience can be helpful for you.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping that he would look in here. If he doesn't respond then I'll PM him and ask about that. I was thinking about King when I noticed this.

I found a picture when I first started thinking about this might be a problem a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
He looks normal to me.

Well wait, I took some places to be the light shining, now I'm not so sure.
Is that a thin place on his chest and going up his side with the rib nodules being dark??

Is he specifically scratching the thin areas?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He has the light hair areas right at his "pits" which I think is normal but I noticed it is starting to expand in his side/chest area, right under his ribs. It is a little hard to see in the picture where the light is shining.

He's also starting to thin around the neck and at the folds of his ears toward the back of his ears (uncropped) and a slight bit on his chest. Of course this is with me looking him over with magnified mommy eyes.

I can't say he is itching in his thin areas, I can't really tell a pattern. He just starts itching like you'd think he had fleas but I've searched and searched and can't find fleas or any flea dust, eggs or anything and he is on preventative.

I did talk to the vet and he said it could be normal shedding puppy fur and growing his adult fur but it wouldn't hurt to do a change of food and see if it helps or doesn't do anything at all. He says it is very rare for a puppy his age to have food allergies.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Summer is doing wonderfully on the food and I've noticed shine I never thought I'd see on her again.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I think it is normal shedding for this time of year. Mine are going thru it too.
The itching may be from the shedding. You could add 1000 mg of fish oil to his food. I do it, but really don't know why I do it as both my dogs are ok. I get the 1000 mg capsules and just drop in food. One of my dogs picks it out to eat first so must taste good to her.
Mine were really itching before I started the Canidae and I was suspicious for years before I switched. I kept trying to get the vet to say it was the food without me prompting him and he never once mentioned food. He kept saying grass.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is good to know. I like the way his coat looks really and I like the food (at least I like feeding it to them). My pet food company is brining me some salmon oil to add so maybe that will help.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I have noticed that some dogs experience a blowing of their coat within 30 days or so of being switched to a premium dog food if they weren't previously on one. Maybe that could be part of this? Is he, or has he been, shedding alot?

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have not noticed a lot of shedding when I brush, bathe or pet him. I have noticed a normal amount in the vacuum and shampooing carpet. He is due for a bath so I'll pay close attention to the amount of hair loss when I bathe him. I've never heard of that with the change of foods. He did have a bit switch up, from Pedigree from the shelter, Pro Plan when first coming home mixed in and then a switch to the Canidae.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts