Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had Chi at the vet yesterday to have her hips and knees checked; have noticed some popping and grinding while we've been training lately. Turns out her right socket is shallow. Dr. said not much to be done about it now other than treating for pain and swelling (she honestly hasn't seemed to be in any pain as of yet) and monitor as she matures...
We're working more on downs now (have read that sits are hard on the hips) and am no longer encouraging an auto sit while healing. Gonna work on teaching her to swim (so far she likes to splash around but hasn't been brave enough to really go deep enough to swim)... Going to give glucosamine/chrondoiton (sp) supplements, I know that when Storm's arthritis started getting really bad those supplements really helped...
Any advice or suggestions from anyone who may have gone through this with their own Doberkids would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Tracy, my old Lab had severe hip dysplasia. It was so bad that her hip x-rays were used to show clients what severe dysplasia looks like. She basically had no hip sockets to speak of. By the time I adopted her, her spine was so bad she was not a candidate for surgery.

The most important thing was keeping her thin. If Natala gained a pound or two, it showed because she struggled even worse. I had to keep her so thin, people thought I starved her. I kept her in shape too with swimming and light walks. She was on several different supplements which helped for a little while but as time went on, it got so bad that they didn't make a difference.

She also was much older than Chi and had a lot of other health issues that went against her in her struggle. If Chi were my dog I would look into it further. I know several months ago the dr. thought Ava had dysplasia but it turned out it was Pano. If she did have dysplasia I think I would have wanted surgery. Although Chi is still very young and maybe this is something that will correct itself? Were Chi's parents hip's checked?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, Jess... Just did a little brief reading on Pano and wonder if maybe this is the case... If the bone is swollen that could certainly be the cause of the popping and grinding that we're hearing, right? Although she does not show outward signs of pain, she did elicit a pain response when the Doc was palpatating her right rear leg and she is visibally stiff after walks. What strikes me is the sudden onset of this disease and her age - "Pano is associated with large breed dogs and usually occurs in dogs 5 to 12 months of age" - Chi is 5 months old. I literally noticed this overnight in Chi. One day she was fine the next day I heard her sit and her back legs quiver while she sits. (but mine would too I guess if I was hurting) Since what I've read of the treatment is vague (I've already switched her to adult food which I just read was reccomended for pups suffering the disease and she's on an anti-inflammatory) I'm going to wait to discuss this with the Doc until the 1st when we go in for her final set of shots. I have always been active with her and although we are working on "formal" training now more than in the past I don't think she's doing anything more now than she was before. If it is dysplasia, wouldn't there be sign before now? I guess I wonder what could or would have triggered this sudden grinding and popping...
I truly doubt that Chi's parents were checked and due to the language barrier doubt I could find out... The Doc did say that if it turns out to be dysplasia there is little that can be done (surgery wise) until she matures (makes sense to me). He suggested that with proper diet and excersize she may end up fine but there are no guarantees.

Thank you...

How is Ava coping? Has she fully recovered? Was more than one leg affected?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Although she does not show outward signs of pain, she did elicit a pain response when the Doc was palpatating her right rear leg and she is visibally stiff after walks.
Sort of the same thing with Ava. She would favor the affected leg but it didn't seem painful when she'd go to use it or when I'd palpate it. When the dr. did it, she did display signs of discomfort. I'm sure he did it much more throughly than I did.

What strikes me is the sudden onset of this disease and her age - "Pano is associated with large breed dogs and usually occurs in dogs 5 to 12 months of age" - Chi is 5 months old. I literally noticed this overnight in Chi. One day she was fine the next day I heard her sit and her back legs quiver while she sits. (but mine would too I guess if I was hurting)
Ava developed it at 14 months and it did come on suddenly. It was so sudden that for a while we assumed she hurt herself while horsing around and tried R&R for a few weeks, per dr's orders. It wasn't until it wasn't getting better that I figured it was more than just her overdoing it.

How is Ava coping? Has she fully recovered? Was more than one leg affected?
She's perfectly fine now. I was relieved because I was told Pano can take a very long time to clear up and we were comming into warm weather and I was afraid she wouldn't be able to run and play. Thanks to a woman I know who breeds Mastiffs, we were able to find something to help Ava through it within a short time. :)

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Aww man thats terrible news. I hope Chi will be fine, I know with you looking after her she will have the best care she could find!

Again I am sorry to hear Chi's problems, please keep us updated on how she is doing.

TD

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Chi is a "she" TD!

Seriously though, you've done well to switch her to adult food. That way her growth isn't getting pumped. Keep us updated an her progress okay.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
actually - there is a LOT that can be done while she is young -

some of the surgeries for HD NEED to be done at a fairly young age - because you want as little as possible remodelling and arthritis in the hip joint, otherwise it makes it much harder.

i would find an orthopedic surgeon if you can and get it evaluated if you are very concerned - ive assisted on a variety of surgeries for them, and weve done most of them on 6-18 month old dogs.

and i didnt forget your email, im just exhausted and backed up! ill emai you back soon!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kim,
I actually did some reading and research last night and read about a relatively new surgery (forgot the name but have it bookmarked to take with me to the vet next time) where they cut the pelvic bone in 3 places and lengthen it making for tighter fitting joints. Not sure if she would be a candidate because what I read said it won't work if there is any arthritis damage or if the socket isn't deep enough but will bring it up to the vet when we go back on Nov. 1. The Dr. that I spoke with was not the orthopedic dr. that did her x-rays. Will try to speak with him directly on the first.
Understand that you're busy and appreciate your time :) Thanks :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
awww, chi! i hope the vets can find a way to help her, and I hope she's not in pain!

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
TracyJo said:
Thanks Kim,
I actually did some reading and research last night and read about a relatively new surgery (forgot the name but have it bookmarked to take with me to the vet next time) where they cut the pelvic bone in 3 places and lengthen it making for tighter fitting joints. Not sure if she would be a candidate because what I read said it won't work if there is any arthritis damage or if the socket isn't deep enough but will bring it up to the vet when we go back on Nov. 1. The Dr. that I spoke with was not the orthopedic dr. that did her x-rays. Will try to speak with him directly on the first.
Understand that you're busy and appreciate your time :) Thanks :)

yup, a TPO _ triple pelvic osteotomy. its an AMAZING surgery and its my favorite orthopedic surgery!

its amazing how quickly dogs recover - the DAY after surgery, your pelvis was fractured in three places, and dogs are bearing weight and walking most of the time!

the pelvis is cut in three places and essentially rotated a bit to provide more coverage for the hip and to realign things.

best of luck, keep us updated! im off to nap after ANOTHER dr visit...

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tell ya what Kim... Why don't you just come on over here :) I have a spare room and Bowie is more than welcome but I doubt he'd appreciate the quarantine... Then you can tell the vets what they need to do. You can give me hands-on training advice and we can take on the mean trainers together :) It's a very pretty island with great shopping and even better beaches, snorkeling, diving and surfing :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts