Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Abby has always had a relatively poor appetite. She's just not that excited to eat. Although she'll often beg for food when people are eating (even though no one feeds her people food...to my knowledge).

She is 16 months old and weighed 58 pounds when we were at the vet a month ago. Our vet doesn't seem concerned but I worry because some days she just doesn't eat at all.

We used to put food in her bowl, leave it for 15 minutes then take it away and feed twice daily. A few months ago we got off this and just leave her food out until she eats it. We feed her kibble - Canidae. We used to add some canned food as well to encourage her to eat but it didn't improve anything. We've tried adding things occasionally to get her tastebuds excited but she'll do her best to eat whatever is new and leave the bulk of her food untouched.

Any suggestions for improving her eating? We switched foods when she was about 8 months thinking that was the problem but it changed nothing. I'd say she averages at best, 2 cups of food a day. She also gets a spoonful of peanut butter or a little bit of cheese in a toy when we leave for the day.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi!

My friend had same problem with rottweiler. His rotti was pretty slim since he was pup and ofcourse my friend wanted the dog to look like rotti not like dobie.

It started off with dog "not eating enough", than they went to other dog food, than next one, than mixed in cheese,... After a year they were mixing in more just to convience dog to eat. Like you he also left food so dog could eat when hungry. Than after he finally got advice from someone more experienced he did it like this:

1. No more mixing and just stayed at one food
2. They gave dog food for 15 minutes, if dog did not eat it they took it away

It was hard at begining because dog did not want to eat for 5 days. Than hunger did it.. he started eating normaly and gained weight. Try giving it a shot..

Bye, Katja

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have no doubt that you can force her to eat by taking her food away and making her get hungry enough to eat anything but is that what you really want to do? Have you tasted the kibble you are feeding her? Most of it tastes and smells like crap so maybe she has just not liked the two brands you have given her. If I was going to feed kibble I would get small bags of various kinds and see if she likes one better than others and then feed that one, as long as the quality is the same. You might also consider home cooking or raw. It is not that much trouble and with the high prices of good kibble it is not that much more expensive either. On the other hand 58 pounds at 16 months is not a bad weight so unless she is obviously thin maybe you should let her continue doing what she is doing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Molari:
have you tried feeding her raw or barf? I never did with Cody, who was very finicky, but my sister and it sounds like a lot of folks around here have had very good luck with it. you may want to think about it.

cc

·
Registered
323 Posts
Codysmom said:
Molari:
have you tried feeding her raw or barf? I never did with Cody, who was very finicky, but my sister and it sounds like a lot of folks around here have had very good luck with it. you may want to think about it.

cc
DobeDad has the finiky dobe. Mine gets home cooked.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just a few questions to narrow things down a little.

How active is she? Does it seem like she always wants to play and run around? How often do you take her for long walks at least twice a day? How often does she go out to play with you or other dogs? So you have only switched foods once since you have had her?

Just my opinion, but it think the vet should be concerned if the dog doesn't show a good weight gain trend from puppyhood, especialy if you notice that she does not eat enough. I would try different brands/types of food to see if she likes one over the other.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Naveen

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Have you tired adding a couple of spoons of yogurt or cottage cheese with her kibble? That always worked for me when I had a reluctant eater.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She goes for her annual checkup on thursday this week so we'll see what the vet says.

I would say she is moderately active. We go for a 40-45 minute walk every morning. We leave for work and she's home alone for approx. 7 hours each weekday. Then we play outside in the back field and she runs pretty hard for half an hour. We also play a lot of games with her inside and do lots of training exercises. Her schedule is a bit screwed up on the weekends since we're generally home or out running around but she gets a lot more exercise and attention.

She loves cheese so we started mixing a little parmesan cheese with her meals and it got her eating great for about 3 days. Then her interest declined and we're back to normal.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It seems like she gets enough excersise to the point where she would get hungry enough to eat almost anything you would give her. Another reason why I think the Vet should be concerned. Do you normaly feed her after the walks and excersises?

This is a general question for everyone: How many of you have Dobies that are over a year and are under 60lbs?

Princi is close to 80lbs and I think she has peaked as far as gaining any more weight.

I am sure the numbers will vary, but just wanted to know if this is a normal weight.

Best of luck Dobedad, I hope she finds something to her liking..

Naveen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts