Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody have trouble with their Dobe not really wanting to eat?
Cedric is getting Flint River Ranch dog food, he's been eating it fine but lately (about a month maybe?) he doesn't really seem very hungry. I feed him twice a day and when I give him his food he will sniff it and then looook at me and then start nibbling at it. This morning he didn't finish his food, he ate some and then went off to play.
I've tried switching food, no difference, I know the food is good, my poodles are eating the same thing with no problem.
He isn't skinny but he isn't near as filled out as some of the dobes I've seen pictures of on here. (Ok, I edited it so there's no more confusion:)
He is very active, (I live on a ranch so he has tons of room to run) plays in the creek, still clears fences like a deer.....
I wonder if it's not the heat? It's been pretty hot here and the last few days it's been over 100, I don't have AC so inside or out it's hot!

Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Also, does anyone use Natural Balance dog food?

·
Registered
986 Posts
It wouldn't be unusual at all for the heat to decrease his appetite in the way you describe. And if that is indeed the case, changing his food will not make a difference for more than a day or so, if at all. Don't sweat it...it's natural.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess loooves to eat...yeah Im sure the heat has something to do with it ...I know sometimes I don't eat much when its hot lol. We feed Duchess her dry food with some organic canned food and some water....maybe that will make his food more refreshing and make him more willing to eat....:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Some dogs don't like to eat in the heat. If it goes on for more than a week I would take him to the vet just to make sure it isn't something else. I have always had chow hounds so I can't relate.

I fed Cole Nature's Balance for alittle over a year. He did well on it and seemed to like it, although he didn't turn his nose up to anything.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Natural Balance is very good food. Oscar has had several varieties of it and liked it all; I'm fine with the ingredients and if they're out of my regular brand, that's what I would choose. Currently my cats eat it...for some reason their favorite is the one with peas in it...vennison & green pea, I think...go figure.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Is it Natural Balance or Nature's Balance? It's the one by Dick Van Patten that I fed Cole. I can't ever remember the exact name of it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance is the one I'm talking about.
I kinda figured its the heat but I was wondering if it could be something else....although I don't know what.

Are some Dobes smaller boned than others? Obviously the answer would be yes, I was looking at someones pup on here, not sure who's, but it was about the same age as mine and they were built completely different.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've only seen one truly fat dobie and that was at the vet's office. This adult male rescue had already lost 25 lbs. on his new diet but was still 30 lbs. overweight and literally had a beer belly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't meaning someone on here had a fat dobe, I was saying it was fatter than mine! Meaning it looked really nice and I wished mine looked like that! Guess I should have worded that differently, Sorry for the confusion!

I guess my Cedric is so active he just doesn't keep any extra weight on and looks a bit thin in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
His ribs should be able to be felt, but not seen.

Oh, and I've seen lots of fat Dobermans. Online and IRL. Cole use to weigh 104 lbs. He was quite the porky looking thing. His ideal weight was 87 lbs which I did get him down to by cutting back his kibble and adding salt free green beans for filler.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I didn't take it that way, Poodles...no offense taken. If that is Cedric in your avatar, he's just got a slim build (for now). And he may very well stay slim, but remember, they take up to about 2 years to fill out, so he could beef up. If he doesn't, as long as he's happy and healthy, so what? Just like people, genetics has a LOT to do with it. He looks like a handsome young man if you ask me. If you had seen this fat dobie at the vet's office, you would appreciate why this breed is really better off being on the slimmer side than the alternative.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, that's Cedric, he's almost 11 months old.
I don't mind him being slim, just wondering about him, that's all :)
And just making sure nobody thought I was insulting their Dober child :)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I don't know who Cole Porker is. His name was Cole because his dams name is Ember and I wanted something related to that. Instead of Coal, I went with Cole. Although my login isn't meant to be coal, it is Co for Cole and Al for my other Doberman Alex I use to have.

·
Banned
675 Posts
LOL, he was before your time. Before mine too, but my parents had records of some of the songs he wrote and I used to play them when I was a kid. Hollywood made a movie of his life and Cary Grant played him. I saw that movie on TV when I was a kid. Just a few years ago they made another movie about him and Kevin Klein played him, Ashley Judd played his wife. I'm kind of afraid to mention some of the songs he wrote, because you probably won't recognize them.

One of them I like tho, is called "Anything Goes".

1 - 20 of 39 Posts