Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crazy Pup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I got one. my new Dobe is 13 months old. she can hold her liquid for a long time. I feed her twice a day, usually at 6 am and 6 pm. I wait several hours after she has eaten to take her out, thinking this is enough time to allow for a bowel movement. I usually take her to the fenced in softball field next to our house, so we can throw the ball and she can go to the bathroom. the problem is, we get to playing fetch and she never gets around to pooping. I was out there for 2 hours this morning and she never went. she peed once, but not poop. any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Mabel can be the same way sometimes, she is out in the yard running around and will pee but doesnt poop. She usually comes in and then ends up wanting to go back out and poo about 10-20 minutes after she has come in and relaxed. Some dogs just seem to have a weird "routine" for these sorts things.
Also if you haven't had her very long (under a week or two) she may be stress constipated, many dogs wont poo the first few days to a week in a new place.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I was going to suggest the same thing about how long you have had her. You will need to learn her pattern once she settles in. If my grandpup is over he and Kyrah's routine become exaclty that; the running thing and then go after they have stopped and relaxed for a bit. So for me that is normal. The two older terriers prefer to go on their walk which can be different times on different days. Kyrah still goes atleast 2x's a day but lots of times 3x's. She eats 3x's a day and normally has food in there one way or another so its a constant in/out thing for her.

·
Got mutt?
13,814 Posts
One thing to think about with this arrangement is consideration of other people. Take baggies, and when she does go, PICK IT UP. I don't know about other people, but I don't like stepping in my own dog's mess, but I really hate it when I step in someone else's dog's mess. :soapbox:

Have you talked to her vet or breeder about this? Did you change her food when you got her? Was she a kennel dog? Before you play with her, try taking her out on a leash, and when she starts to pee or poop, tell her to "hurry up", "go potty", or something like that. My dogs know that when I tell them to "hurry up" they had better go potty, or they will probably miss their chance.

·
Crazy Pup
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

all the comments were great, thank you. our new puppy has settled in nicely and has started calming down. in turn, she has become more regular. she's even taken to her cage. the previous owner said she would never use the cage at their house. funny, I just set it up, threw a blanket over the top of it, fed her a few times in there, and now she will go there just to hang out.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
all the comments were great, thank you. our new puppy has settled in nicely and has started calming down. in turn, she has become more regular. she's even taken to her cage. the previous owner said she would never use the cage at their house. funny, I just set it up, threw a blanket over the top of it, fed her a few times in there, and now she will go there just to hang out.
Glad to hear things are going well and she is settling in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts