Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so you folks set me straight on housebreaking my dobe (I got lazy and would just let her out back) and I’ve been hyper vigilant about going outside. Praising the heck out of her and when she poops and I’m giving her a treat. I’m on it like stink on a skunk. That said…if it rains, she won’t go and she’ll poop her crate in the middle of the night.

It rained yesterday and I was out there five different times after she ate, in the rain, for 10-15 minutes. My dog would pee with no problem and I’d praise her. She would not poop at all. In fact, when she was tired of sniffing, she would sit down and look at me or other times she would direct me to the front door b/c it was time to go in.

Any suggestions? You can’t force her to poop. When it’s not raining and she has to poop, she can be pretty quick about it.

Also, I’m thinking of doing this—“go potty” for her to pee and “go poop” for her to poop. I think that when I say “go potty” and she pees and I praise her, but I keep saying “go potty” she might be confused, so maybe I need to distinguish between the two (and I can’t help but wonder if that would confuse her too). Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
9,446 Posts
Well, I would find it very difficult to poop outside in the rain.
Especially if you have cold water rolling over your body and tickling your ears.
When its raining …..raincoats will help sometimes……..sometimes they want a raincoat and their ears covered.
Then there is always the golfer umbrella‘s they are really bigger around than standard umbrellas.
When all else fails ……they will eventually go …so just keep letting them out and watching for the signs when you know they have not voided as the dog will look for a place to poop in the house in situations like this…
They are sneaker poopers in situations like this….so keep them close to you.
We use the command …..you go……and Hoss will produce whatever he have to offer.
Sniffing always gets the business in motion for my Hoss……..get that sniffer busy and they might think thats more interesting than the rain.

·
Dobes Dobles +1
Neo Puppy, Lanah Chi-Cairn X 7 y/o, RIP Eva HADR Rescue Dobe, Sunking's Spock, Lillah Chi-Terrier X
5,718 Posts
After going out with your Dobe puppy many times/day you'll get used to their pattern of peeing/pooping... Neo now always pees first, then sniffs around more before pooping, if first thing in morning. After eating he poops quickly after pacing inside or ringing potty bell. During early training, I'd reward with praise and "Good PeePee or Caca" so he knows the words, in addition to "Potty" used inside house to go out. Dobes are smart. You are still taking your puppy out on leash until she gets trained well, correct? For rain sometimes I'll use umbrella in front for heavy rain or just dash out in backyard for light rain, then Neo will follow me and do his business. He is still hesitant about rain some, but follows example well. I did get him to pee in walk-in shower during super heavy storms. Had to practice this and slowly acclimate him to being enclosed in shower with me over many repetitions.

Neo's First Pee in Rain after Home 3-Days

Now He's a Pro @ 9 mo!

Plant Flowerpot Vertebrate Dog Arecales

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I use a huge umbrella and wait for it, no matter how long. Beau does’nt enjoy the rain and will come to a dead stop at the door when he realizes. But, he is not given a choice so out we go. He gets the umbrella while I may have to stand in the rain (hat and coat).

Since I know his schedule, I know when he has to poop so I wait him out. His ears are flat, his expression baleful, but he poops.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I would find it very difficult to poop outside in the rain.
Especially if you have cold water rolling over your body and tickling your ears.
When its raining …..raincoats will help sometimes……..sometimes they want a raincoat and their ears covered.
Then there is always the golfer umbrella‘s they are really bigger around than standard umbrellas.
When all else fails ……they will eventually go …so just keep letting them out and watching for the signs when you know they have not voided as the dog will look for a place to poop in the house in situations like this…
They are sneaker poopers in situations like this….so keep them close to you.
We use the command …..you go……and Hoss will produce whatever he have to offer.
Sniffing always gets the business in motion for my Hoss……..get that sniffer busy and they might think thats more interesting than the rain.
I will try a bigger umbrella and hope it helps.

My pup fakes me out with he nose, she starts sniffing and goes to an area that she likes to poop and then doesn’t. Hopefully the umbrella works. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After going out with your Dobe puppy many times/day you'll get used to their pattern of peeing/pooping... Neo now always pees first, then sniffs around more before pooping, if first thing in morning. After eating he poops quickly after pacing inside or ringing potty bell. During early training, I'd reward with praise and "Good PeePee or Caca" so he knows the words, in addition to "Potty" used inside house to go out. Dobes are smart. You are still taking your puppy out on leash until she gets trained well, correct? For rain sometimes I'll use umbrella in front for heavy rain or just dash out in backyard for light rain, then Neo will follow me and do his business. He is still hesitant about rain some, but follows example well. I did get him to pee in walk-in shower during super heavy storms. Had to practice this and slowly acclimate him to being enclosed in shower with me over many repetitions.

Neo's First Pee in Rain after Home 3-Days

Now He's a Pro @ 9 mo!

View attachment 144084
Yeah, I’m taking her out on a leash. I think it was LadyDi that suggested on my last post to use one of the retractable ones to give my pup a little more space so I went out and got one the other day. Give her a little freedom, but still on a leash nevertheless. Does Neo have a show crop?

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
Yeah, I’m taking her out on a leash. I think it was LadyDi that suggested on my last post to use one of the retractable ones to give my pup a little more space so I went out and got one the other day. Give her a little freedom, but still on a leash nevertheless. Does Neo have a show crop?
I think she suggested a longer leash but not a retractable one--she uses the 15 foot non retractable one shown in this thread.

Neo's crop is definitely a show crop.

Bad morning--I'm answering everyone else's questions.

dobebug

·
Big Lil pup
7,537 Posts
Ok... Rain.... I know rain. It's a bump in the road of life with no way around it (right bug?)

My boy will NEVER go out on his own in the rain. Since we live in Portland, where it rain for days at a time, for months on end... It's just me and him outside, for as long as it takes. We don't do umbrellas. they're a pain in the A$$. I waterproof us separately. And after years (decades) of taking Dobes out in the rain,I know what works

McCoy wears a simple lined raincoat. Easy on and easy off. Easy to dry. I wear duster type water repellent coat, a wide brimmed western wool water resistant hat, a pair of waterproof western work boots and gloves. We could literally stay out for hours, regardless of the weather. I keep clean, dry towels at the door where we come in. A minute to dress, a minute to undress and hang up the wet clothes. And except for McCoy's head and feet, we stay dry as a bone.

The bottom line is that McCoy learned very early on that he was going out, regardless of the weather. And... He was staying out until he emptied his bladder and bowels. Honestly, it was harder for me to accept these "terms and conditions" than it was for the dog. Today, he goes to the backyard door and sits if wants to go out When I open the door, if he see it is raining , he absolutely refuses. However, it can be pouring rain and when he sees his leash and raincoat, he starts jumping around like a little puppy! LOL He might wince when the first big drops hit his face, but after that he's raring to go.

Be firm! Be upbeat! Be patient.

Oh. I actually find it harder for him to go after a fresh snow. As Di said, it's the "sniffing" that gets the bus rolling. No smells... No poop! (Extra patience)

John L.
Portland OR

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use a 15 foot lead to give Hoss some elbow room….6 foot lead was to short………everyone likes a little privacy when pooping.LOL
Ok... Rain.... I know rain. It's a bump in the road of life with no way around it (right bug?)

My boy will NEVER go out on his own in the rain. Since we live in Portland, where it rain for days at a time, for months on end... It's just me and him outside, for as long as it takes. We don't do umbrellas. they're a pain in the A$$. I waterproof us separately. And after years (decades) of taking Dobes out in the rain,I know what works

McCoy wears a simple lined raincoat. Easy on and easy off. Easy to dry. I wear duster type water repellent coat, a wide brimmed western wool water resistant hat, a pair of waterproof western work boots and gloves. We could literally stay out for hours, regardless of the weather. I keep clean, dry towels at the door where we come in. A minute to dress, a minute to undress and hang up the wet clothes. And except for McCoy's head and feet, we stay dry as a bone.

The bottom line is that McCoy learned very early on that he was going out, regardless of the weather. And... He was staying out until he emptied his bladder and bowels. Honestly, it was harder for me to accept these "terms and conditions" than it was for the dog. Today, he goes to the backyard door and sits if wants to go out When I open the door, if he see it is raining , he absolutely refuses. However, it can be pouring rain and when he sees his leash and raincoat, he starts jumping around like a little puppy! LOL He might wince when the first big drops hit his face, but after that he's raring to go.

Oh. I actually find it harder for him to go after a fresh snow. As Di said, it's the "sniffing" that gets the bus rolling. No smells... No poop! (Extra patience)

John L.
Portland OR
Thanks John. I’ll try the umbrella, but as a backup, I’ll check Amazon on the local pet store and try to find a raincoat for her.

·
Registered
136 Posts
You have my sympathy. I don't have a Dobe, but do have a German Pinscher, so he has the very short coat too. Since I'm in semi-arid Colorado and we're in a drought, I had him a while before finding out about his attitude toward rain.

For heaven's sake. One drop, and he's headed for the back door at full speed. Leash him up and force him outside, and he huddles. You'd think he's made of something that melts, except that his attitude is only for drops that come down from the sky. He's perfectly fine to go out after it rains when everything is wet, doesn't have the reluctance to walk in mud or through a puddle that a couple of my Rotties had.

He doesn't have a raincoat yet because I didn't want to get one before he's full size, which I think he's hitting just now, but I've found that a snood and the second-hand sweater coat he has is enough for him to brave a raindrop or snowflake for a potty outing. It gets damp, but the drops don't hit him, and I can dry things out between trips.

How do short-haired dogs like the GSP hunt in all weather? Is there something different about their short coats? Or is the difference in the mind?

Good luck in find what works for your rain-o-phobe.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Okay, so you folks set me straight on housebreaking my dobe (I got lazy and would just let her out back) and I’ve been hyper vigilant about going outside. Praising the heck out of her and when she poops and I’m giving her a treat. I’m on it like stink on a skunk. That said…if it rains, she won’t go and she’ll poop her crate in the middle of the night.

It rained yesterday and I was out there five different times after she ate, in the rain, for 10-15 minutes. My dog would pee with no problem and I’d praise her. She would not poop at all. In fact, when she was tired of sniffing, she would sit down and look at me or other times she would direct me to the front door b/c it was time to go in.

Any suggestions? You can’t force her to poop. When it’s not raining and she has to poop, she can be pretty quick about it.

Also, I’m thinking of doing this—“go potty” for her to pee and “go poop” for her to poop. I think that when I say “go potty” and she pees and I praise her, but I keep saying “go potty” she might be confused, so maybe I need to distinguish between the two (and I can’t help but wonder if that would confuse her too). Thoughts?
Vertebrate Horse Dog Organism Working animal

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
Must be a slow news day in Portland Bug -- LOL
Well, at the moment at least, it's not actively snowing or raining but it's still cold as all get out and Joey's trips out are as brief as he can make them.

dobebug

John L.
Portland OR
LOL, yeah John--I'm in Portland too and Joh and I both know it's simply a way of life here.

For the record, I don't do umbrellas with dogs in the rain--I have an entirely embarrassing story that I don't tell about why.

But I do spend at least the first six months with a puppy on leash and going out until he pees or poops before we go back in--no matter what the weather may be doing. Because they find out that we are NOT going inside until they either pee or poop or even better, do both, by the time they're out--they know that they aren't getting back in the look for shelter (it's pretty funny to watch them try to hide under the entirely leafless back yard trees this time of the year) and doing something is their only hope.

So then they make it as short a trip as possible and then I let them in.

And for the dogs that go out and hunt in the rain--GSP's, Pointers, etc--I think that their desire to hunt overrides their desire to stay dry and that even works with Dobes. When I was training tracking I had one Doberman who thought that tracking, any time, any way and under any kind of weather conditions was the best thing ever!!!

He was also my Doberman who was sure that Dobes really did melt in the rain--if it was raining he exited the kitchen with my foot planted in the rust marking under his tail. But if I picked up the tracking harness his eyes lit up and he'd try to beat me to the door even if it was raining a monsoon outside because he knew from the harness WE WERE GOING TRACKING--YAY!!!!

To a very great degree it's all a state of mind.

dobebug

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You have my sympathy. I don't have a Dobe, but do have a German Pinscher, so he has the very short coat too. Since I'm in semi-arid Colorado and we're in a drought, I had him a while before finding out about his attitude toward rain.

For heaven's sake. One drop, and he's headed for the back door at full speed. Leash him up and force him outside, and he huddles. You'd think he's made of something that melts, except that his attitude is only for drops that come down from the sky. He's perfectly fine to go out after it rains when everything is wet, doesn't have the reluctance to walk in mud or through a puddle that a couple of my Rotties had.

He doesn't have a raincoat yet because I didn't want to get one before he's full size, which I think he's hitting just now, but I've found that a snood and the second-hand sweater coat he has is enough for him to brave a raindrop or snowflake for a potty outing. It gets damp, but the drops don't hit him, and I can dry things out between trips.

How do short-haired dogs like the GSP hunt in all weather? Is there something different about their short coats? Or is the difference in the mind?

Good luck in find what works for your rain-o-phobe.
Thanks. I was just talking to my colleague here at work and she has the same problem with a long haired doodle that will just poop in the house when it rains b/c it refuses to go outside despite my colleague holding a huge golf umbrella over her and low to the ground. I’m going to Wally World after work and getting a golf umbrella. We have three more days of this crap. No pun intended.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was just talking to my colleague here at work and she has the same problem with a long haired doodle that will just poop in the house when it rains
Thank goodness Gibbs never tried that. It would make him unpopular to the return to breeder point. He's the cross his legs and never go again type, and also thank goodness here in Colorado we rarely get days of rain socked in, usually thunderstorms and off and on stuff. At least I got to find out what works for him in rain in warm weather.

If we ever have a real snowstorm again, it will be another learning experience. Gibbs will only be 10 months January 10. He's better about cold than I was led to believe the breed would be, happy to go out and cavort naked until the 30's and with his sweater after that. I have a coat to put over the sweater if we get real cold, which evidently we are for the next 2 days. IMO we always get the coldest weather in January, which is why I get spring fever in February.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts