Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I wasn't able to find a thread that really matched what I am dealing with so here goes looking for thoughts. My male is 15 months and crate trained however recently (4 times to be exact) he has pooped in his sleep three times in his crate and once while sleeping on the couch. Now it is not like a full poop it is always just one little turd. And it only happens when he is sleeping and all four times have been at night. The one on the couch my husband witnessed an said the pup was having a crazy dream and farted and in the process a little ties popped out. I don't think he is doing it on purpose because when it happens he becomes quite upset over it. He is active the stools are not loose, he is eating and drinking normal. I will say his poop schedule has been off he used to go in the morning around 8am and then around 7pm sometimes with one around noon but lately it has been like he is crying around 1-2am. He just finished 4 weeks of one antibiotic for a bacterial skin infection which I do not think has resolved and he will need to go back to the dermatologist and also just finished a week round of another antibiotics for a upper respiratory infection.
Any thoughts or similar experiences, we don't want to over react and rush him to the vet since at this time he is actin normal and to be honest we just spent well over $700 in care last month and need to build up some more funds.
Any help would be great!

·
Get the bunnies!
7,024 Posts
Our girl Cricket did this on occasion, in her sleep like your boy. We took her to the vets but it was unresolved, she passed away soon after (from mammary cancer). Hope you get it figured out!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
My now almost eight year old girl did this a few times as a puppy... a couple of times on the couch asleep, also a couple of times just walking across the room. As far as I know, she hasn't done it after she was a few months old. She also has a couple of times been simply standing outside, given a little twitch and forcefully expressed her anal glands... I am VERY happy that that hasn't happened inside!

·
One Lucky Mama!
892 Posts
We have had this happen a few times with Zeus. Just as you describe, it will be a small, very solid turd on his bed at night. He will then wake up and attempt to "hide" it under his blanket, and does seem quite upset. Since we adopted him last year, this has happened 4 or 5 times. The vet checked his sphincter and did not think that was the problem. The only constant we have noticed is that this would happen when Zeus would refuse to poop before going to bed for the night. Now, if he doesn't offer to poop close to bed time, we do an extra play session with him and give him a tablespoon of pumpkin puree. Within a few hours, he is usually ready to poop and thus avoids the "sneaky sleepy turd". ;) We are also sure to give him a tablespoon of pumpkin puree after he has chewed on a raw bone, bully stick or rawhide bone. Zeus' stomach is so sensitive, he tends to get bound up fairly easily.

I would suggest following up with the your veterinarian to see if there is an issue with his sphincter or if something else is going on. Also, try to change your routine (extra play session, adding something like pumpkin which can help move his bowels, etc.) to see if you can force him to defecate before bedtime.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

Reactions: ryche25

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear about Cricket, I hope it ends up being nothing.
I am going to keep an eye on him until my next paycheck and then take him to the vet to have him checked out.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
The antibiotics probably have his digestive system a little off. Antibiotics kill the healthy flora in the stomach and small intestine that aid in digestion. Pick up some plain Greek yogurt, not sugary fruit filled unless that is all you can find. The Greek has 3 or 4 more cultures than regular yogurt. Give him a tablespoon or two every day for a week or two after he is finished with his antibiotics. You really should give him yogurt anytime he is taking antibiotics to keep his digestive system healthy. You might try reading the thread, Sardines, Good for Allergies and consider giving sardines to your boy for skin and heart health. It is still on this front page.

·
Chee
227 Posts
That's good read. Chee just went through a surgery and last bone on her tail was removed. She is pooing in her sleep all the time. It is just 2 days after surgery now. I clean her poo every hour while she is sleeping. She is taking antibiotics. I will do the yogurt :) thanks for that.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Antibiotics can give a dog loose stools. Things will come around. There are a lot of smart people on this board with excellent advice.

Jim

·
_______
5,102 Posts
My boy did the accidental nugget a couple of times. Always in the dead of night, waking me up rooting on something, to my chagrin discovered he was attempting to cover it up. Lesson learned no cucumber whatsoever before bedtime in our case.

That's good read. Chee just went through a surgery and last bone on her tail was removed. She is pooing in her sleep all the time. It is just 2 days after surgery now. I clean her poo every hour while she is sleeping. She is taking antibiotics. I will do the yogurt :) thanks for that.
Either a couple hours before or after an antibiotic give a good probiotic like Fortiflora to help replenish the gut.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts