Votes: 11 10.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious - the average age of a Doberman is supposed to be around 10. I'd like to get a sampling from DT owners, especially those who've been in the breed a long time. I've made the poll multiple choice, so hopefully that will give people the option to respond for multiple dogs.

Reactions: dobies4ever

·
Extraordimary
4,990 Posts
I don't think the poll would work for me because I have had multiple dogs that passed at the same ages.

Sabre was 9ish (Wobbler's).

Rebel was one month shy of 8 (bloat).

Sadie was 12 (I never know what to put as cause, it came on so suddenly, necropsy showed a necrotic section of intestine).

Ember was 11 (cholangiohepatitis).

Wonder was 8 1/2 (lymphoma).

Wish was 9 (osteosarcoma).

Rocket was 11 (although he had dcm, he was euthanized because of degenerative myleopathy).

Karma was 12 (IBD).

Interestingly, the average works out to 10 for me in a fairly small sampling.

Rory will be 13 on Thursday!

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think the poll would work for me because I have had multiple dogs that passed at the same ages.

Sabre was 9ish (Wobbler's).

Rebel was one month shy of 8 (bloat).

Sadie was 12 (I never know what to put as cause, it came on so suddenly, necropsy showed a necrotic section of intestine).

Ember was 11 (cholangiohepatitis).

Wonder was 8 1/2 (lymphoma).

Wish was 9 (osteosarcoma).

Rocket was 11 (although he had dcm, he was euthanized because of degenerative myleopathy).

Karma was 12 (IBD).

Interestingly, the average works out to 10 for me in a fairly small sampling.

Rory will be 13 on Thursday!
I couldn't figure out any way to account for multiple dogs dying at the same age, so this was the best I could do!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm curious - the average age of a Doberman is supposed to be around 10. I'd like to get a sampling from DT owners, especially those who've been in the breed a long time. I've made the poll multiple choice, so hopefully that will give people the option to respond for multiple dogs.
Thanks for this post. I have been wondering the same thing. It was starting to look like dobes only lived 4-5 years from what I was reading on this forum.Glad that is not the norm. Once again thanks for doing this post.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
Sally 13 (age and arthrits) may have been older was estimated to be 3 when adopted I had her 10 years
Jazz 13 (degenerative myleopathy) Same as Sally
Kelsey 12 (bleeding tumor on spleen)
Gypsy 6 (lymphoma)
Rogan 3 cancer - kidneys and intestines
Casper 2 temperment

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I think I messed it up cause I thought I could vote twice instead of just clicking both ages! oops. Anyway, our two that have passed lived to 13 and 8.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Ziggy 4, Baron 7 both from DCM and Dante was 12. We had to euthanize him when his front and back legs gave out and he also developed canine dementia his last month.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
EmilyB - 10yrs plus 2 months
Priscilla - 10 yrs plus 2 months
Stormy is 10 in June...worried but not so much

I think you also have to count in what the owners do to keep them alive....quality of care...quality of life and all....some just leave them till they can't get up...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.