Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am new to the forum and have a question regarding poking behavior. our girl is 7mo old and fairly well behaved. she just has to poke everything with her nose,this behavior includes her toys,us,guests,things she doesn't like,or things she is unsure about. do any of you think this behavior is normal or is it rude?

·
Registered
602 Posts
In my opinion poking in a way is her way of (for toys and guests) initiating play, just being playful. For things she doesn't like or is unsure about, its a way of "testing" to see what the reaction will be, she is saying "can I trust you, can I be friends with you".

As for guests you can teach her to only greet them with a sit and stay until they call her over to pet her, and even after that the poking is not allowed. If she still does it I would pull her away, get her attention and tell her no, and she will eventually learn that guests are not to be poked.

Hope this helps.

Naveen

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Gracie is a poker too. She pokes anything and everything. She pokes the cats, guests, trash can, doors, toys, movies, couch, chair. If you can name it she will poke it. I don't think it's rude, I think it's cute and she is just trying to figure things out. Maybe it's just my way of thinking that is the problem. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you i agree about the play reaction. i am curious if this behavior is typical. She always does drive by pokes too like when you're lying on the couch or reading. i will follow the sit and stay with company.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Poking is normal with my girl. Especially if she is walking behind you, the dobergooses....She also like to poke the cats alot to get them to play with her, but it just annoys the cats as well. I would say its pretty common.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Yup! Duchess pokes too. I think it is the cutest when she pokes her squeeker toy to get it to squeek. She will also poke the cats...and other things as well. In agility they use a "touch" command...you can put a lid of a little containter down for a target with a treat under it so then when they sniff the lid and touch it with their nose You can praise them and they get the treat. soon you dont need the treat under the lid or target because when you say Touch it...they will touch it with their nose then look up at you. They also teach to "Touch" your hand for agility. just hold a treat behind your hand and when they touch your hand to sniff...you give them the treat and praise. Again in no time...you dont need the treat behind your hand and just tell them "Touch" and they will touch your hand...and then you can still reward them with a treat from anywhere.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Jacks not a poker yet.. he's a smacker.. he smacks at things to get them to play to see what they will do.. I think i would handle getting poked better then smacked LOL

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I think i have mentioned this before but we call Amber "the jack" because she walks up to you puts her nose under your crotch area and lifts making you walk round on tippy toes,also Tia nudges with her nose and paws,and her latest trick is to "talk" to her toys she lays down beside them and makes noises like Chewbacca out of Star Wars(the best description i could think of)
Chelsie as ever is the quiet one she will just sit and stare at you till you have to give her attention.

·
Pack Leader
1,551 Posts
Takira does the same thing, usually when she is walking behind you she will poke at your Butt a few times. Sometimes when I am on the PC she will poke my mouse arm right off the table, she must be telling me it is time to get off the PC. :)

TD

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I call that behavior "nosing". It happens quite often.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I think it's pretty safe to say that "poking" is a very typical Doberman trait! Chi pokes to get attention. If we're walking or training and she does something that she normally gets a treat for and I forget... she pokes. If I'm sleeping and she doesn't want me to, she pokes. If I'm sitting on the computer talking about her poking habit (as I am right now) and she wants to play ball, she pokes :)
Brum. funny that you compare Tia to Chewbacca - Chi does that also but it's mostly with Petri. If he has a toy she wants or if he's just being grumpy and doesn't want to play, she'll lay right beside him and make these noises. It's hilarious :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Cedric is a Poker and a Smacker! He pokes everything, I think it's kinda cute except when he pokes me with a cold wet nose right in my ear while I'm driving......He thinks it's very funny but I don't really agree, Lol. He also likes to smack me if I'm not paying attention to him, I definitly prefer the poking!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Da'Kari does the Chewbacca, it is too cute.

She doesn't Dobe poke as much as she used to in the rear but LOL one day I took her to Petco and she was such an angel while in there, she explored and had the best time and I was so very proud of her behaving so well until we got up to the counter and as I was checking out she Dobe poked a lady in the isle behind us hehehe, I was so embarrassed and apoligized to the lady but she laughed so all was well.

Da'Kari also does the arm flip with her nose when we are on computer. So many stories that Dobe owners tell seem to be things we all experience, yet I have never experienced it with another breed so Dobe's are definitely one of a kind.

I love my Dobes!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
well seeing as how jack is to short to reach my arm yet at the computer, he doesnt do the arm flip, but my cocker does heh...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts