Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been in a year long process razing our backyard and starting anew in the hopes of making more space and having a safer yard for a dog.
So far I've wiped out 30 feet of yew bushes, all the nightshade, a garbage tree in the corner(it was growing into power lines) and a
grape vine<---(trying to come back as it is embedded with the fence).

I've looked at many plant lists and searched this forum to find any info about whether berry bushes are harmful to dogs, as I just planted a raspberry last weekend and the gardening junkie in me wants to run out and get other berry bushes before they are sold out.

I also transplanted a milkweed in the back for the butterflies.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,977 Posts
Hi all,

I've been in a year long process razing our backyard and starting anew in the hopes of making more space and having a safer yard for a dog.
So far I've wiped out 30 feet of yew bushes, all the nightshade, a garbage tree in the corner(it was growing into power lines) and a
grape vine<---(trying to come back as it is embedded with the fence).

I've looked at many plant lists and searched this forum to find any info about whether berry bushes are harmful to dogs, as I just planted a raspberry last weekend and the gardening junkie in me wants to run out and get other berry bushes before they are sold out.

I also transplanted a milkweed in the back for the butterflies.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Raspberry, blackberry, Marionberry, blueberry are all completely safe for dogs but if you expect to get any of them plan on fencing them. A friend of mine has all of the above in her yard and her dogs taught my dogs to pick the berries--and they are willing to eat all of them at a slightly less ripe stage that I want them. She put in an auxillary fence around the berry bush area and shuts the gate as soon as any of the berries start to ripen.

I'd have sent you lots of my milkweed (which I intend to pull out--there are more behind the back fence--the butterflies can have them) if I'd known you wanted them.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Elly.
I see bird of paradise is on that list, sigh. I was thinking of seeing how well the mexican bop would fare in Michigan. bummer

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Raspberry, blackberry, Marionberry, blueberry are all completely safe for dogs but if you expect to get any of them plan on fencing them. A friend of mine has all of the above in her yard and her dogs taught my dogs to pick the berries--and they are willing to eat all of them at a slightly less ripe stage that I want them. She put in an auxillary fence around the berry bush area and shuts the gate as soon as any of the berries start to ripen..
LOL well that's good to know. Back in the day I had no idea onions and grapes were bad for dogs, so now it worries me when I see partial lists of things.

I'd have sent you lots of my milkweed (which I intend to pull out--there are more behind the back fence--the butterflies can have them) if I'd known you wanted them.
Ah, well they probably won't go to seed until fall. We have a pink one but if yours are red or vining (there are several types) sure I'd be interested, Thank you Bug:)
They are tough plants, I yanked ours out of the front yard & randomly plunked it into the back after it went to seed. It was pitiful sticks all winter and it surprised me to see it coming out in full force, thicker than last year.

Our back is now in the ugly duckling stage. I hope someday for it to have a sort of "elegant hippie" look around the perimeter, as I'm not a big fan of doting on lawns.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Raspberry, blackberry, Marionberry, blueberry are all completely safe for dogs but if you expect to get any of them plan on fencing them. A friend of mine has all of the above in her yard and her dogs taught my dogs to pick the berries--and they are willing to eat all of them at a slightly less ripe stage that I want them.
We've got that going on right now with the mulberry tree in our yard. Gary started sharing mulberries with the dogs every morning on his way out to feed the horse and donkey. Now Razzle and Rush will stand on their hind legs and pluck the mulberries right off the branches. Stella (beagle x) is ticked she's not tall enough to do that!

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see tulips on that one! And daffodils! Gaaaaa Though it says its the bulbs, and no word on the leaves/flowers.
I planted 30+ and they all came up.

/afraid to ask if anyone's dogs have dug up bulbs to chew on

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Well i saw Avacado on the list but I'm sure Mensa eats them with no effects.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
dobebug, are you still wanting to get rid of the milkweed? We had tons where I used to live but none here and I have a huge hill of nothing but dry clay that the milkweed would love and I would love to give it the space. It is about 60 x 15-20 depending on the side of the yard and full of bare nothingness (unless you count dog poop) so I could give it a very happy home.

·
Premium Member
8,603 Posts
I see tulips on that one! And daffodils! Gaaaaa Though it says its the bulbs, and no word on the leaves/flowers.
I planted 30+ and they all came up.

/afraid to ask if anyone's dogs have dug up bulbs to chew on
Yeah, I didn't allow my husband to plant bulbs in the back yard. Velma's breeder almost lost two 7 week old puppies who dug up an iris bulb during the 5 minutes they were in her back yard with the rest of the litter.

Reactions: Q734

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I didn't allow my husband to plant bulbs in the back yard. Velma's breeder almost lost two 7 week old puppies who dug up an iris bulb during the 5 minutes they were in her back yard with the rest of the litter.

Argh...:cwmddd:

Hb, you can also find many different climate types and colors of MW on ebay, just make sure if you go that route the seller has near or perfect feedback. (I've been sent total bunk on more than one occasion)
I have a ton of the pale pink swamp milkweed from last fall, but I think that one doesn't like to get too dried out.(?)

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well i saw Avacado on the list but I'm sure Mensa eats them with no effects.
Yikes. I used to buy something called "Avoderm" for my guy in an effort to alleviate his flakiness. I wonder if they still make that.:confused2
I wound up having to go to oatmeal for his coat and something the vet said to use "humectant"(sp).

That was all before the internet/information explosion though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts