Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just wanted to share an experience none of you should have to face . When Sadi was 8 mths old the neighbors next door had a handyman repaint their house . Before repainting he did some repair work and sanded the entire house resulting in the dust release of arsenic, lead , chromium and copper into the air and in our back yard -that day Sadi became sick with vomiting and diarrhea, the neighbors how were having the work done also had their dog become sick at the same time . We did not realize it at the time she had been poisoned and later tested positive for arsenic and lead which resulted in kidney insufficiency and thyroid problems , increased weight and ruptured tendon in the knee . Finally at three years old , she is on thyroid medication , losing weight and heading for knee surgery as soon as the weight is down to a comfortable level . I only tell you this story so , hopefully it won't happen to you or some one you know . Spread the word and we can all look out for each other . Has anybody had experience with having a knee surgery done ? Thanks in advance . Sadi & Jerry

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Good grief who sands out in the open on old paint? :busted_red: :giljotiini:

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
What a terrible experience. I would think your neighbors insurance would have covered your expenses if you realized it before your time to sue ran out. It sounds like this has ruined your girl's health and I am sorry to ear that.

Thanks for your concern and offer of information on this experience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks

Thanks for your replies , we did sue ,unfortunately heading to a 6 person jury meant we had to have 5 out of 6 vote in our favor , or we would be responsible to insurance companies attorney fees if we lost and at that point with the home owners atty. and the "unhandyman's" atty. we were already at $15,000 and the judge was not sympathetic to our problem so we had to settle for minimal amount which didn't cover the initial wave of medical expenses at 7 months old. The "unhandyman" that did the work knew what he was doing but tried to make a quick buck , all the work he did has pretty much fallen apart. With a federal law in place you would think somebody we called would have stopped him . I know its wrong but because the neighbors have been so bullheaded about this I wish them nothing but bad luck in their life. So i tell all who will listen so hopefully another animal/loved one is spared this event . Thanks again:busted_red:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadi is now 4years old and 5 weeks out of he second knee surgery for the other leg , doing well but will always be in some sort of pain or discomfort . The trooper that she is may be a tribute to the breed , but its the hardest thing to see such a young dob have a dimished activity level . It breaks my heart , because like most dobermans she is so loving and sweet and devoted to us ..........so i guess if she can get past it so should I , thanks for all your comments !

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
28,152 Posts
Curious to know how old the house/paint was? Paints are "supposed" to be safer now, but old paints I know were nasty and are problems to get rid of.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Such a sad story...thanks for posting his warning so that someone else might benefit from your experience.

The paint had to be very old for it to have arsenic in it as arsenic in paint was outlawed years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts