Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried a prong for the first time today. take a look at the pictures and tell me what you think. where it is shown in the pics is where it wants to ride. even with leash on and working it doesnt go any lower but it will not stay higher. if i remove another link, it is way too tight and obviously causing discomfort for him. is this location acceptable?

as for my first time report, it was amazing. right or wrong placement, it was incredible. i didnt do any "popping". i didnt have to. he would get near the end of the lead, and like magic, progressively slow down and repace himself. i gave it a few minutes, so he could feel it out. then went into a training mode. when he would venture further than the position i want him in i would very gently pull the leash while giving verbal correction and he would slow and get right back on line. then treat and praise without stopping. repeat repeat. i could walk and give "corrections" with the lead lazily in my hand. no more deathgrip on the leash

he didnt seem to mind the change. i had a feeling that he would fight it. i once tried a choker right behind his head and he had a fit. so i was a little nervous about how it was gonna go. the only reaction he had to it was he would occasionally throw a couple lazy scratches at it with his back foot. has anybody else seen this when they switched to or tried a prong?

so thats my humble report. let me know your opinions on the placement.

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That's why I like prongs. The dog more or less corrects himself. I believe it is more gentle on their neck than a choke.

My prong that looks like yours might have an extra link so there is a bit more slack.

Reactions: merlin00724

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I sit the prong a little higher on the neck, right behind the ears.

Sam self corrects himself when he wears a prong. I never have to yank or leash pop. I use a Herm Sprenger prong (stainless steel) as I've read some of the other cheaper made prongs can cause irritation.

I just got this new prong a few days ago. LARGE BLACK Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel Pinch Collar. $38.95.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I always had a problem getting it high enough without it being too tight. Then when adding another prong it was lower on the neck. Kyrah's had another link and was lower on the neck. But I really never gave corrections with it. I used it for walking and she self corrected herself. Glad to hear you all had a pleasant walk. Its much nicer. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sit the prong a little higher on the neck, right behind the ears.

Sam self corrects himself when he wears a prong. I never have to yank or leash pop. I use a Herm Sprenger prong (stainless steel) as I've read some of the other cheaper made prongs can cause irritation.

I just got this new prong a few days ago. LARGE BLACK Herm Sprenger Stainless Steel Pinch Collar. $38.95.

thats a sharp looking collar. the one i got is a leerburg chrome because of the value/quality. i wanted to see how it went before i bought a premium model

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It looks like that's a large link collar... I would suggest a medium or even a small (small is what I use). The smaller the links, the more precisely you can adjust the size. The smaller the links, the "pinchier" the collar is.

I am a big fan of pinch collars, used properly. You might want to find an obedience person who uses them and take a single lesson.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts