Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all know my fight with chevy's weight/liver. I am waiting on her most recent blood work results. Vet is supposed to be calling me today with results. She has not eaten much of anything in the past two days. Is there anything I can do to try to up her appetite? She is on steroids, but the rx ran out and the vet was wanting to see the bloodwork for some odd reason before giving me a refill. I know the steroids help with appetite, and they ran out on friday. I didnt think it would drop her appetite that fast though. If I switch her to straight meat for a while until she gets her appetite back, how much would she need a day to know she is getting enough? She weighs right at 56.6lbs as of saturday.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
If you are wanting to try raw to see if it helps her appetite there's a good estimator here:
Calculate

She does need more than just straight muscle meat - she'll either need a whole-prey type diet where she gets organs and such, or you'll need to augment her meat with some veggies.

If you want to stick with kibble and just add a little meat/enticement, maybe try cracking an egg or two into her food?

Reactions: cuddlbug00

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been adding meat to her food ever since she lost all that weight. It is cooked meat though. With the liver issues I just wasnt feeling safe switching her to raw for the first time. I have looked up the "liver diet" for dogs and it includes canned pumpkin, yogurt, and cottage cheese, all of which she will not eat. I was wanting to up her amount of meat and maybe give her enough to hold her over by itself until her appetite comes back, IF it comes back. I do also give her cooked organ meats mixed in her food as well as the muscle meats.

Reactions: Leliel
1 - 3 of 3 Posts