Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to the forum, but not new to Dobermans and potty training dogs (as most of you may be thinking, and rolling eyes as you read this). I have a three year old red Dobe, Apollo (I'm really creative and original), and his lady love passed away, so we got another black pup from a reputable breeder... Beautiful dog. She is Athena (told you I was creative). She is a lover, and oh-so-smart loves to please an knows a whole plethora of tricks at seven months old... Except my favorite trick... Don't pee in my house. I've potty trained many a dog. It is usually just as simple as close supervision, expressing dismay when they are caught in the act, then taking them to the appropriate place and praising them wildly when they get it "right". Apollo may have had two accidents, that's it. Other dogs I have had to kennel and keep on a short leash for some time, but they get it. Athena... Doesn't get it. I take her outside, she will pee, I congratulate her. When I take her out of her crate she goes right out and pees because she knows I'm watching, and that means she can come right back in. Then I tether her wherever I am, an she will make a puddle, right in front of me, every time. She does not try to hide it. I yell (can't bring myself to hit her), but she cowers. I take her outside, and wait until she "goes" then praise lavishly. Repeat cycle. I just don't get where I am going wrong. Sorry about the run on. Paragraphs are difficult for me to form on a phone. Thanks for any advice :)

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
First do not hit her or yell at her she may have a UTI (Urinary Track Infection) once the vet determines she does not have a UTI start over from scratch just like a baby puppy.

If you take them out on about a 6 ft leash it helps keep them focused tell them go potty ,hurry up or what ever words you want to use just use the same words each time. Stand in one spot let them go all around you till they find the spot then Praise like it is the greatest thing you ever saw. If they do not go in about 20 minutes go back in and crate them or tie them to you them go back out in about 30 minutes.pups/dogs need to go out after naps,playing, eating & drinking 1st thing in the morning last thing at night depending on the age of the pup/dog you may need to take them out at night too. Always use a pet urine enzyme to clean up all traces of urine or feces you can use a black light to find all traces. It takes about 3-6 months of contestant training to house break a pup/dog the more accidents they have the longer it takes. Hang a bell on the door you go out you ring it until the pup/dog gets the idea how to ring it yes sometimes they ring it to go look at a squirrel but its a phase they go though you just have to go though it with them. Do not forget to praise each time they go to reinforce the potty training. If you are consistent you will also have a pup/dog that will go potty on command comes in handy when it rains,snow, is icy, on a trip at night . People will think you are a amazing trainer too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If I'm understanding you correctly, the pup knows what is expected of her and she does in fact go potty outside every time you take her. Is that the case?

If the dog is not peeing in her crate, it doesn't sound like an infection, but it would be smart to go ahead and take a pee sample to your vet and confirm that she does not have a UTI.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but I found with potty training that the dogs needed both conditioning to go outside (which it sounds like you already have accomplished) and also correcting for going in the house.

At any stage of the training, I don't yell at the pup for going potty inside, but I do loudly growl/snarl/make an un-ha noise, AND I scoop the pup up mid stream and carry them outside. Wait for them to finish going potty after they are outside and do all the normal praise stuff. Yeah it can be a little messy, but older pups tend to stop going potty when you pick them up and IMO this has helped the dogs grasp the concept that going inside is not acceptable.

This may or may not be of any help to you, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Try going out more often than you are now. Try every 20 minutes.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Kyrah was also one of my hardest to house train. Which I thought was strange b/c she is the smartest dog I have ever had. Didnt add up. I had her tested for UTI's a few times which were all negative. Ahh...after she was spayed which I did young at 6 months and I cant remember the time frame afterwards. My girl is incontient. Now it all made since. She just couldnt control it. I knew something was wrong that we would be in the middle of play and she would just squat and pee. So think it could be something she has no control over. I got yelled at/fussed at by my family members a lot for not punishing/yelling at Kyrah for her accidents. The last thing I wanted was a dog who cowers. Its a stage that will pass one way or another. All you need is a mop or as I did cases of paper towels. If you have carpet just keep her off of it until you figure it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had some trouble potty training my pup too. He would go outside when I took him out, but he wouldn't ask to go out, if he need to pee he'd just do it.

I solved that with a bell on the door (like patches mom suggested). It took him a while, but once he figured out that ringing the bell meant going outside he was completely potty trained. It was like he didn't know how to tell me before I put the bell up

Might be worth a try in your situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts