Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the new love of my life, Bruno when he was only 8 weeks old, too soon I know but I couldnt leave him in the hell hole he was in. He seemed fine developing but the vet did notice he was growing extremely fast. He has had a limping problem in the past due to sore pawpads and a possible sprain and we thought it was over but hes limping again now and will barely walk. He wont eat.. all he does is lay. We are taking him to the vet on Monday but we are very scared! he is only 7 months old and we will not be able to afford a huge leg surgery if it comes to that.. and we are heartbroken to put him down. If anyone has had any experience with this PLEASE give us all the information you can.:frown1:

·
joie de vivre
11,199 Posts
Can you take him to the e-vet? Monday seems awfully far away when a puppy won't walk or eat.

Also, I don't have personal experience with it, but he could be suffering from pano. From what I understand pano can be extremely painful and perhaps this could be causing him to go off his food. Hopefully others will chime in.

·
Alpha
8,119 Posts
I bought the new love of my life, Bruno when he was only 8 weeks old, too soon I know but I couldnt leave him in the hell hole he was in. He seemed fine developing but the vet did notice he was growing extremely fast. He has had a limping problem in the past due to sore pawpads and a possible sprain and we thought it was over but hes limping again now and will barely walk. He wont eat.. all he does is lay. We are taking him to the vet on Monday but we are very scared! he is only 7 months old and we will not be able to afford a huge leg surgery if it comes to that.. and we are heartbroken to put him down. If anyone has had any experience with this PLEASE give us all the information you can.:frown1:
a lot of pups go home at 8 weeks so thats not the problem.

it could be pano.. that would explain the limping but not the not eating.

i always urge people not to get a puppy if they can not afford vet care !!

monday is a very long time..

hugs for him

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
How much exercise does he get, do you walk, run or bike him on hikes, on pavement?

Sure sounds like pano. My boy had it starting at five months. You boy will probably need some nsaids, nonsteriodal anti inflamatory drugs, for the inflamation of his bones. The changing of which leg he favors is pretty well a dead giveaway. If it is pano he will be okay till Monday.

He needs crate rest, no excercise, and outside only on a lease for two to three weeks.

I would feed him a superpremium food like Innova large breed puppy. This type of food will keep him from growing too fast, growth spurts seems to be what causes pano. Also a food like Innova only has two protein sources. You want limited protein sources for pano puppies. I would also feed him vit c starting with one 500 mg pill after breakfast and a week or two later add another 500 mg pill after his nite meal also.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Limping and not eating

If this link does not come up you can google HOD in dogs

Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy: A Bone Disease in Growing Dogs
Hypertrophic osteodystrophy is a painful bone disease in young, growing, large breed dogs.
www.peteducation.com/article.cfm

Pano usually does not make them sick or slow them down. Pano has also been referred to as dancing doberman disease as it can switch legs and you will notice them standing holding one leg up then another Just barely touching the floor.. It usually goes away by 18 months. I have had a couple dog have it and it goes away. HOD is much more serious and needs to be treated by a vet. Pain can take them off feed so if you could get him in before Monday might be a good idea.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My girl has Pano, she has a bad day or two now and then. This has never kept her from eating. She will limp and stays pretty quiet until the pain subsides, she also gets pain med's when it acts up. I don't believe her's is as bad as some I heard about. Good luck and healing prayers.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Pano

Really???? The couple dogs I had that had it ran like crazy and only seemed to notice when they stood still they would hold one leg or the other just barely touching but never seemed to have much pain. Glad it was nothing more serious.

Try this site as the other one doesn't work anymore. I might add that Parker's pano was very, very painful.

Canine Hypertrophic Osteodystrophy

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
While your pup may or may not have a serious problem, only the vet can tell you for sure what is happeing. But whatever the problem is,,,euthanasia is not always the only answer for serious and costly vet care. In the event it is something you are unable to afford there are rescues and organizations that could help Bruno. He need not die because his vet care is too expensive for you and it is way too soon to even contemplate "putting him down".
I hope it is something with an easy fix, best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
8,031 Posts
If it is Pano just means growing pains no surgery is required only time gave Buddy Vitamin C but he never laid down and did not eat.That might mean it is something different hope you can find out the problem and it will not be too bad.Good Luck Monday please let us know what the vet comes up with we care Hugs to you both.

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
Really???? The couple dogs I had that had it ran like crazy and only seemed to notice when they stood still they would hold one leg or the other just barely touching but never seemed to have much pain. Glad it was nothing more serious.
Oh yeah, Parker would be asleep on the couch and all of a sudden yelp and jump off the couch. I always thought he thought I had done something to him cause of the way he would jump off the couch. He did not get any better till the vet told me to put him on the crate rest and nsaids. I put him thru two two week crate rests. A long time for a five/six month old puppy.

I honestly can't remember if it hurt his appetite or not, but his was a very painful case.

Edit: added nsaids

1 - 14 of 14 Posts