Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

For the last four or five days I have been reading forum after forum looking for suggestions of reputable breeders. Every thread seems to get "High Jacked" and gets off topic and its getting very old. I've found suggestions on breeders and then try to follow a website to find out that its "not found" or "down for maintenence".

WHAT IM LOOKING FOR IN MY PUPPY- I want a well bred, healthy, puppy. Black and Rust male. I am NOT going to be doing shows, I am NOT going to be doing any kind of agility competitions or what ever some of yall do. I am looking for a BEST FRIEND, a pet, a FAMILY MEMBER. The extent of my training with the pup will be standard obediance. I have no kids, I do have one other dog. He's a 8 yr old yellow lab who's been by my side in the duck blind for the last 7 years. I have previously had dobermans and I am farmiliar with their needs as a dog breed and the kind of life style they need to live a happy life. I live on a 400 acre farm with an inground fence. Anyways, back to the reason im making this thread.

Can someone PLEASE give me recommendations on REPUTABLE BREEDERS in Virginia and surrounding states?. Someone who WILL return Emails, phone calls and current HAS or will be having a litter of puppies. I'd like to have a puppy sometime late summer or this spring. Thanks in advance and MERRY CHRISTMAS! :nicejob:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think Mary is correct when she says it will be extremely hard to find a reputable breeder to give you a male when you already have a male. Same sex aggression is hard-wired into this breed and cannot be train out and neutering does not change this fact. You might get lucky and get a breeder to give you a dog and things might be awesome for two years or three until one day it isn't anymore.

I wish you luck in finding the right dobe for you, is there any way you would consider a female?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input, I didnt realize that was an issue, my last dobe Damian lived by the side of my previous black lab Chance for 13 long, very peaceful years without a single witnessed issue. They were best friends, would even eat of the same stainless steel bowl. This being said it may have just been a fluke, i watched a documentary once where an elephant and a dog were best friends. Maybe it was the same kind of scenario lol...

Back to the topic, yes i would consider a female. The main reason I was considering a male done is because my lab is not fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, Mary, as i said before it does not have to be a breeder in Virginia. I only mentioned va becasue that is where i live but i am willing to travel!

·
Registered
16,038 Posts
well I sent an email to Pat at Jesaran, Hopefully i will get a reply soon. Thanks for the help!

Try not to get into a hurry. Time is definitely your friend when looking for a doberman puppy. Please be prepared to wait on a good puppy from an ethical and reputable breeder.

There are many, many bad/ uneducated breeders pumping out puppies by the hundreds who will be happy to ship you a male puppy either immediately or as soon as it's weaned. The bad ones have puppies avaiable all the time. You got the money, they have a puppy or two if you want two. A good breeder will not sell two puppies to the same home at the same time.

How you introduce yourself to a breeder will make a difference also. Let me scout out an article that will be helpful to you in that respect. Here you go. http://rufflyspeaking.net/puppy-buyer-ettiquette/

I can't help but think that as old as your lab will be by the time your doberman becomes two that it may be possible to buy a male. I would be open to what a good breeder suggests.

By the way most people's dobermans on here are members of the family, beloved buddies who also may do obedience, agility, schutzhund or conformation competition or even all of these. It's really not a choice of either a pet or a competition dog tho that will have some bearing on what puppy a good breeder might place with you. Dobermans really can do it all.

·
Why is the rum gone?
2,263 Posts
I can't help but think that as old as your lab will be by the time your doberman becomes two that it may be possible to buy a male. I would be open to what a good breeder suggests.
Yep. Griffin will be 10 in April, and the age difference between him and Future Puppy is going to be big enough that I'm not as worried about male/male aggression. I also have an odd Doberman, in that he's very tolerant with other dogs. He's a Doberman that could live with another male, but he's not typical for the breed.

I'll stress this- for most folks, two males is not a good idea because of the high incidence of SSA in this breed. Crate and rotate isn't fun at all. Neither is living with two males for years and then one day, having everything go wrong. I still caution people that Griffin isn't typical and many Dobermans aren't going to tolerate another male.

But with Griffin and with his age and sheer tolerance for anything canine, I'll welcome whichever pup my breeder thinks is the best fit.

That's a good breeder you're looking at, and you've got a realistic timeline for getting a puppy. I'm sure you'll get lots of support, and guidance, on their dogs and what will be the best match for you. Waiting's hard, but it's worth it.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
There are zero reputable breeders in WV, just throwing that out there as it's one of your bordering states, which you inquired about in your thread title.

Looks like you've had at least one good recommendation.

I'd just ditto that you may in fact be a candidate for a male puppy, given the age difference--especially by the time you actually acquire the pup, in your stated time frame of next year.

As someone who's done the elderly male Lab and young male Doberman pup situation, please be prepared to take some special care of your aging boy. Work hard with the new pup (male or female as it may be) to teach boundaries, respect for the body language of your elder dog, and give the elder dog lots of special one-on-one time with you, and a safe retreat from the endless energy and antics of the Doberman pup.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
i can honestly say i don't know of any reputable breeders in Maryland. i may be wrong, but all i've ever found are BYBs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys and gals, The reason I Was leaning towards a male dobe is because of the time frame/ age of my lab also because he is in tact and I do not plan to spay or neuter my dogs. Also MaryandDobes the name on the website was Patricia? So her name is actually Kathy? Im sort of confused lol, regardless an email was sent and I'm waiting for a response :)

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for breeders in those states, other than you may want to do some research on the DPCA breeder referral website to see what breeders there are. Be aware that just because they are listed on the DPCA website doesn't automatically mean they are "reputable" or "ethical". You still need to do your research.

Also, I just wanted to comment on two points I read in your responses that you will want to be prepared to discuss with prospective breeders.

I live on a 400 acre farm with an inground fence.
Does "inground fence" mean the kind that are under ground? If so, Dobermans often have very high prey drive and an in-ground fence may not be adequate to keep them contained. Additionally, an in-ground fence does not keep other unwanted critters out of your property. Many breeders will have a firm requirement that you have a solid above ground fence that is a minimum height of 4 feet. Every puppy questionnaire I've ever seen asks about what type of fencing the person has. You will need to be prepared to discuss this and be aware that some breeders will not budge on this. Perhaps you might consider sectioning off a small area of your property adjacent to your house that could be fenced for puppy potty training etc.

I do not plan to spay or neuter my dogs.
Reputable breeders will have a spay/neuter contract. Leaving your dog intact may not be an option, unless you are showing in conformation for example (which you already stated you are not interested in). Some breeders will spell out a timeframe within which the dog must be altered (i.e. by 12 months, or 18 months or whatever). But it's very uncommon to find reputable breeders who will allow their puppies to remain intact indefinitely. They will be concerned about accidental pregnancies, possible irresponsible breeding, etc. So you definitely also need to be prepared to discuss this one too.

Good luck to you.

·
Extraordimary
4,927 Posts
I can add that my litter sired by the Jesaran male is the highest prey driven litter I've had so far. A couple of them are extremely driven to chase even birds flying by. So ya, I could see one blowing through an electric fence.

·
Super Moderator
21,284 Posts
I can add that my litter sired by the Jesaran male is the highest prey driven litter I've had so far. A couple of them are extremely driven to chase even birds flying by. So ya, I could see one blowing through an electric fence.
Heck, yes, I will second this, since I have one of those dogs. He goes bananas chasing squirrels, has his first lure coursing title and is well on his way to his second.

This is him getting ready to go lure coursing...I can *barely* hold onto him to get him to the start line because he's SO insane to chase the fake bunny. In this video we are still literally inside the building:

OpRuuRSGobg&list

And this is him on part of the actual course.

5Xb1He_A7Y8&list

I can tell you with pretty much complete confidence that an electronic fence wouldn't phase him in the slightest when he's chasing prey.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
Yeah, even my moderate-to-low prey drive rescue girl would blow right thru an electronic fence.

I just don't think this is a viable option for the breed as a whole, even if you disregard the other cons to this type of containment system.

Reactions: falnfenix

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
The thing about electric fences is that it's all about training. They have to be trained for it. I have one. Jasmine has drive. Works fine. She ran through it a couple times in the beginning, it's not an issue now. If I had the choice, I would go with a nice wood fence, but due to the flood zone I live in and creek in the backyard, it would rot and constantly need replacing. When there is heavy rain, the creek pretty much floods up to my deck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts