Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting a new puppy this weekend and I though that I had it all planned out.

They are Doberman/Shepherd mix

Since they were about 4 weeks old I had the Grey(Blue) one with the doberman markings. But she is very timid and shy and doesnt get along with my other dog. We did an overnight stay last night just to see how it would go! and she is very jumpy and growls and snarls A LOT and my other Puppy!

But this other one (Red with no markings) Has a much better personality. She plays well with my other puppy, and just over all has a better personality.

Should I just get the original one that I picked out, or should I go with the other one? I really love the blue one! She is so BEAUTIFUL, the picture doesnt do her justice!!!

Attachments

·
Got mutt?
13,838 Posts
It kind of depends on what you really want. Do you want a beautiful dog that is always snarling at your other dog and hiding from people, or would you rather have a not-so-beautiful dog that gets along great with your other dog and loves people? Just keep in mind that you have to live with this dog for the next 8-15 years. The blue might overcome her nerves, and turn into a lovely dog. Or she might not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what i was thinking. Do you think that she will out grow the snarling? And get used to my other dog. She is just fine with us (the family, and kids) My son (1 1/2 was carrying her around, and laying on her and she was just fine)

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
def go with the red. Everyone else covered with valid reasons why.

Reactions: Adara

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
What sex is your other puppy? Getting one of the opposite sex for a pair normally works out best. Also getting one that clicks is a good idea but they are very young and just b/c they are clicking now doesnt mean they will once they mature. Thus the opposite sex normally will more than not.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Thats what i was thinking. Do you think that she will out grow the snarling? And get used to my other dog. She is just fine with us (the family, and kids) My son (1 1/2 was carrying her around, and laying on her and she was just fine)
She might outgrow snarling with your other dog but might snarl or bite your 1.5 year old son especially laying the baby on a puppy, who doesn't have a clue and might bite him in play.
You need to rethink some of this stuff.
You might think im being an idiot but your taking a big risk with your child.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are all three females! Out of the litter of 10 only 1 was a boy! and he was gone along time ago! So all that is left is girls! Also the red one is kind of shy and timid around us. But gets along perfect with Jade( our other dog. She is a german shepherd/blue heeler mix)

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
We are getting a new puppy this weekend and I though that I had it all planned out.

Since they were about 4 weeks old I had the Grey(Blue) one with the doberman markings. But she is very timid and shy and doesnt get along with my other dog. We did an overnight stay last night just to see how it would go! and she is very jumpy and growls and snarls A LOT and my other Puppy!

But this other one (Red with no markings) Has a much better personality. She plays well with my other puppy, and just over all has a better personality.

Should I just get the original one that I picked out, or should I go with the other one? I really love the blue one! She is so BEAUTIFUL, the picture doesnt do her justice!!!
1. Pretty is as pretty does.

2. You said "other puppy." Do you still have another young pup? If so, I'd advise waiting until you get that one properly raised and trained, before taking on anyone else.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She might outgrow snarling with your other dog but might snarl or bite your 1.5 year old son especially laying the baby on a puppy, who doesn't have a clue and might bite him in play.
You need to rethink some of this stuff.
You might think im being an idiot but your taking a big risk with your child.
I think we are going to go with the red one!! You are right I dont know why I didnt see it before! Having a beautiful dog, is not worth her snaping on my son. I know she was probably scared, but if she acts like that when she is scared. What else is she going to react badly too?

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
They are all three females! Out of the litter of 10 only 1 was a boy! and he was gone along time ago! So all that is left is girls! Also the red one is kind of shy and timid around us. But gets along perfect with Jade( our other dog. She is a german shepherd/blue heeler mix)

My vote is neither.

From your descriptions, it seems that these puppies have not been socialized or raised properly. I would be very concerned, especially with a 1.5 year old child in the house. It would be best to hold off and wait for a puppy that is outgoing with you, your child, and your dog.

Also, please don't let your 1.5 year old carry and lay on a puppy. That is irresponsible and it's always the dog that is to blame in the end...

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I agree with the last two responses, neither. If you are getting the pup from a backyard breeder, you mind as well go to a rescue where they evaluate all the dogs behavior and match them up with suitable families. That way you can get an older dog and or a puppy and if it doesn't work out they will take the dog back and match you up with a different one.

If you already have a dog under two its advised that you wait to get another puppy until the current dog reaches two years when their adult personality sets in and is a little more predictable.

Blue dobermans are known to have skin issues so even if you do pick the blue there is that possibility.

Being that you already have a dog and a baby I think your safer going with a rescue versus these byb puppies.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I question the parentage as the red one does not look and is not marked like a Doberman at all. You are better to pass and get a puppy that has a good start in life. Unfortunatley these appear to have been neglected.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Even if the puppies were perfect, I'd be saying neither- you already HAVE a puppy, and countless problems can come out of raising puppies together. Google "littermate syndrome" and read about it, it's a problem that can effect any dogs raised together, not just litter mates.

That being said, these puppies don't even sound like they're worth risking littermate syndrome, and even if you were lucky and avoided those problems they already have a list of other issues to be worried about (both Temperamet and health) please wait until your own pup is grown, and either support a rescue or breeder who is experienced with placing pups and will find the perfect fit for your family. Right now it sounds like either puppy could be setting you up for what could be a decade (her lifetime) of stressful dog ownership.

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
Having raised a shy, frightened, unsocialized puppy, I can say without hesitation that I would never knowingly choose to do so again. I personally wouldn't take on a second puppy if I already had one, but if you are absolutely set on doing so I would take the pup that isn't shy, scared, and growly. Please, if you decide to take this pup home, do a lot of reading on littermate syndrome. Though your two are not littermates, they will be in the same situation as someone who takes home two puppies from the same litter.

Take the warnings about two pups seriously. The rescue I work with has just had littermates surrendered to rescue that were raised together, and they have a ton of issues. It will be a long while before we can adopt them out.

problems of buying and rearing Two Puppies from same litter
Raising Siblings

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I remember now, yea thus isn't a byb. In this case depending on how old your other dog is I can't imagine raising two pups and a baby. If you dont change your mind about adding another pup then I'd go with the one that clicks more with your family.

Reactions: Adara
1 - 20 of 28 Posts