Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking on some feedback from other Dobe lovers out there that may have recommendations based on the following info.

Hunter is a male dobe, 11 months @ 32kg.

He has been fed 2-3 times a day with a diet consisting of raw chicken (lunch) and science diet puppy (dry) for breakfast and dinner also getting the occasional bone here and there.

He has been on this diet for the past 8 months.

What has caused concern is that he doesn't seem to be putting on any mass and his ribs are relatively exposed. He is exercised on a daily basis playing with his friends at the park and also training with me.

As of 4 weeks ago, I have decided to take him off the science diet and keep him on a completely natural diet (for obvious reasons).

This diet consists of: Rice (brown), Rice (white), Oats, Beef, Veggies, Sardines, Eggs (raw), teaspn Olive Oil, love.

He seems to really enjoy this food, but I have still not seen much of an increase in mass and his ribs are still relatively exposed.

I have since added Di-Vetelact 3 times a day to his diet; this is to ensure he gets all the required vitamins, fats, nutrients that his food may otherwise not provide.

He remains on raw chicken too.

I don't want to beef him up, I am just concerned that he is a bit on the skinny side.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as we are new members, a photo will be up soon (tonight).

Thanks
Hunter & Rob

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
32kg (70lbs) is a pretty good size for an 11 month old. He will fill out, you'll start to see it.

I am a little perplexed over this diet. It doesn't seem very substantial, IMO. I'm a raw feeder. I incorporate roughly 8 different proteins; beef, duck, rabbitt, venison, goat, goose, bison, fish. I also include organ meat and liver. How much do you feed? My male dobe is roughly 89 lbs (41kg) and eats 2 lbs daily.

This diet consists of: Rice (brown), Rice (white), Oats, Beef, Veggies, Sardines, Eggs (raw), teaspn Olive Oil, love.

I have since added Di-Vetelact 3 times a day to his diet; this is to ensure he gets all the required vitamins, fats, nutrients that his food may otherwise not provide.

He remains on raw chicken too.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I agree that your diet is not varied enough. You should check out the DogAware site I have below as well as listen to SamandMacksMoms recommendations.

·
Good Gracious, Gracie!
1,943 Posts
Maybe more meat protein? also I heard that egg whites were bad for dogs and to only feed the yolk.. would anyone care to clear it up for me? TIA
Raw egg white interferes with the absorption of biotin, a necessary nutrient. Cooked egg white is not an issue.

This is true for humans as well, and cats.

I don't know about other animals, but I'm inclined to cook eggs unless I'm told there's a good reason not to.

More info here:
Water Soluble Vitamins - Vitamin C & Vitamin B Complex in Dogs
Biotin is the last nutrient covered, so scroll all the way down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I will definitely make changes to his diet. I guess I struggled finding appropriate info regarding canine diet; there is a lot of clutter online.

Really appreciate it.

Cheers

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
Raw egg white interferes with the absorption of biotin, a necessary nutrient. Cooked egg white is not an issue.

This is true for humans as well, and cats.

I don't know about other animals, but I'm inclined to cook eggs unless I'm told there's a good reason not to.

More info here:
Water Soluble Vitamins - Vitamin C & Vitamin B Complex in Dogs
Biotin is the last nutrient covered, so scroll all the way down.
Studies on this statement have led to the conclusion that the biotin in egg yolks may be absorbed by the egg white. That is the only issue with raw whites. The amount of biotin in the yolk exceeds the amount that the white will absorb and it certainly won't have any impact on other foods consumed. Source = K9Nutritionm Lew Olsen.

Given that the article mentioned highly suggests feeding dogs the 2 worst grains possible - soybeans and corn - I would consider other sources for information, but if you are concerned, don't feed the white at all but do feed the yolk in its raw form.

HOWEVER: If your dog has precarious health or a poor liver, and you are feeding commercial eggs, then you should cook the egg. That's because of the higher risk of salmonella from commercial eggs and the fact that a sick liver will be unable to help filter out the bacteria.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I agree, there is lots of clutter :)

One of the 1st books I read when researching a raw diet was "Work Wonders" by Dr. Tom Lonsdale. A very easy read. Raw Meaty Bones

Here's a great raw food calculator to use as a general guideline: Calculate

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

I will definitely make changes to his diet. I guess I struggled finding appropriate info regarding canine diet; there is a lot of clutter online.

Really appreciate it.

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts