Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so before I tell the problem I must first say I am open to all ideas/concerns/suggestions. I got this doberman at 14months and have had him about 2-4 months give or take. The person I got him from played with him, her husband would like rough house with the dog, and now he trys to do this with my father, I have been telling my father to always have a toy in his hand and or the leash becuase when he is outside with my father he will start running up trying to play, but play rough (nipping, barking, etc..) I cant have this and its not great. I am moving to Southern Cali in 4 weeks and we are starting with a trainer there and doing agility. But I need to know tips/suggestions on how I can help this issue. We are starting to run 2x a day just to get the enery out, but I am having problems finding toys for him. He does not like any hard chew toys (king kong ones) but likes tennis balls, and ropes. Thanks everyone:nicejob:

·
Registered
959 Posts
HaHa, well.... dogs don't sit around and play checkers- they body slam, bite, run, wrestle and break peoples belongings. Some breeds in general, and some specific individual dogs are more inclined to play rougher than others.

If nobody in your household is willing or physically capable of playing the way the dog wants to play, then substitute something that is as active and rough as you are willing to do. Over time he will accept that he cannot play the way he wants to.

If the dog likes rope, try playing rough tug games with a piece of rope. Since he likes balls, you could try playing keep-a-way, tug and fetch with a ball on a string. Be creative and just do something (or preferably a variety of things) that are as rough and active as you can be.

Definitely keep him worn out with exercise, whether that is agility, chasing balls, swimming or whatever. Tired dogs have a reduced interest in rough housing.

Some people let their dogs have doggie playmates for roughhousing with. This seems to work for some folks, but others have found that too much time playing with other dogs makes the dog less interested in interacting and working with the owner.

Reactions: Rowdy1224

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a big huge "stuffy" (Stuffed Animal).

Something that he can grab ahold of and play rough with. I've found that when my pup shakes her head back and forth with a huge stuffy it hits here on the sides and she thinks it's fighting back... just escalates the 'stuffy encounter'.

:)

There's a T-Rex that's popular here, if you want something local go to PetsMart, they carry a big Pig.

Don't get a stuffed animal made for people, it won't last 5 minutes.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Exercise is good but it won't train the dog how to behave when he gets over excited or wants to play rough. When Flirt was young, she'd almost take me out when I ran around trying to play with her outside. Not fun for me and not safe. The key for me was trying to catch her BEFORE she got that aroused. Lots of short sessions releasing her to something she coudl play with and enjoyed (tug for her). And if she crept into my space or started to leap into me, I'd calmly step into her space and tell her to down. Reward the down with some tug and go again. I started my play sessions UNDER her threshold and slowly worked up to running around with her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts