Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going to get a doberman. Dobermans are, in my opinion, the most beautiful, loyal, and loving breed. I clean a house every other saterday, He had 2 dobermans, and that is how I was brought into the world of Dobies, and how I fell in love with them. Unfortunately his favorite baby girl Izzy just died of old age a week ago, and it absolutely tore my heart out.:( Dobermans have exactly what I look for in a dog, and I can't wait to have one of my own.;)

Being the oldest child in the family, sometimes things get overlooked, and a puppy never really fit into the equation. Being an honors student with a high GPA, and helping an extreme amount around the house, my parents have decided I can get a dog in about a year. The catch is I have to pay for it myself. My family currently needs me at home, I'm slowly saving measly allowance and house cleaning $ (at $100 currently), and as soon as I turn 16 (October, yay!) I will get my liscence and a summer job, but I can use all the help I can get<3
:thanx:

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
You are only 15? I am 17 and a half years old and there is no WAY I can pay for Brandy myself. Do you have to pay for school? My University tuition bills are SO expensive, and I have to pay for my clothes and everything too, so paying for a dog would be rather overwhelming! Brandy is family dog, so my parents pay for her vet bills, and her food, and they paid for a bigger fence. They also pay for the training classes and daycare/walker that we have (which adds up quickly)! I have to pay for extra toys and treats like that, but owning a dog, especially a doberman, is incredibly expensive. When you go to school, when you have this puppy, who will watch her? If you get her to a puppy daycare, you should have a steady supply of money to pay for it because it is quite expensive.

The dog itself is likely to be $1800-$2500, and then there is the cost of food, toys, vet bills (hopefully he/she will be neutered/spayed) and things like proper fencing and care for him/her. I hope that you will wait until you are older and have a steady stream of money before thinking about this!

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Okay. Let me share a little story with you.

When I was 14, I finally convinced my parents to let me have a dog. Specifically, a Doberman. I was lucky enough to find a fantastic breeder, but when I called her for more information I discovered that her prices were a bit higher than I'd expected.

So I got a job and raised every penny of my puppy's purchase price - with no help from my parents, relatives, friends or strangers on the internet. This is something that impressed my breeder a great deal, especially since she was (and still is) of the opinion that people have higher respect for that which they must work hard for.

My advice is to save the money yourself, instead of asking for handouts. Dogs are not necessities... they are luxuries. Most people here have worked very hard to pay for their Dobermans. If the price of a dobe from a good breeder is beyond your budget, perhaps consider rescue.

I understand being young and not as financially well-off as other people. I totally get that. But if you're responsible and work hard, you'll be able to raise the money on your own. I should know... I did it. And all my hard work paid off - literally - and I got one helluva dog. :)

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
Wow. Just...aaaagh. This is why teenagers have a terrible reputation. "a teenage girl in need!" IN NEED? Say what? As others have said, dogs are not necessities, they are luxuries and you must consider them such.

I'm a young person who worked desperately hard for the dog I have. I still work hard, as I'm financially responsible for my dog. That means $150+ per month to afford food, save for vet bills and emergency care, flea and tick meds, toys, treats, training, etc. As you said, you'll be driving soon. Are your parents paying for insurance, your car, and the other fee's that go with being a teenage driver? Are you going to college, will you need to pay for it?

Evaluate yourself and your situation. Where will you be in 10 years? Will the dog fit in with those plans? What about now, do you have the time and stamina to devote to socialization, training, bonding, etc.? There is a lot more to take into account than finances. I don't have much of a social life, between school, my job and my dog. That is a choice I made and I'll never regret it, but it isn't for everyone.

·
Broadway Dobermans
846 Posts
"Dobie Puppy Fund for a teenage girl in need! by Brianna Coats - GoFundMe"

A teenage girl in need is much different then a teenage girl in want.

Hey. No one wants to crush your dream of owning a great dog. I think it's something you should keep in focus over the next years and work towards.

I wanted a dog growing up....and my mom wouldn't let us get one. (Wisely, she knew who would really be looking after it!)

So when I was in my early 20's, living on my own, finished university, making my own money.....I got one. When you are in control of your own life and finances and don't have to ask for donations, then you are READY for the responsibility of taking care of another living thing.

Dogs are expensive and take a lot of time and commitment.
When you are able to sustain those things....money, time, and a stable living environment.....ON YOUR OWN.....that might be the right time.

For now. Volunteer at a shelter, or at a Breeder in your area. Or get a part time job at a groomer, or pet store, or dog daycare. For experience, extra cash and puppy fix....

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
I am 23 years old. I live with my boyfriend and our small zoo. I saved up a long time to be able to purchase my girl. THEN, I had to convince my breeder I would be a good home! It took awhile but through showing financial stability, RESPONCIBILITY and knowledge, she agreed.

Being young, life can take you in many different directions. Make sure whatever you do, you are ready for a 10+ year commitment. I would strongly consider an older puppy, or even an adult. Maybe rescue would also be an idea. My girl was 5 months old when I got her. Trust me- any dog will bond.

Be prepared to prove yourself. Be prepared for the breeder or rescue calling references, speaking to your parents (it is their house). My breeder even contacted my boyfriend to make sure we were on the same page.

Its not cheap. Training classes, vet visits, and god forbid an emergency. Make sure you have a sizeable emergency fund.

You will be in university soon. Will you be able to take the dog with you? You really need to think long and hard before jumping for short term happiness.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
Brianna,
Internet begging is still begging. If you wouldn't stand on a streetcorner & ask people for money, you shouldn't do it on the internet.

If you can't afford to buy a doberman, you can't afford to feed it or pay the vet bills either. (it's better to buy a more expensive well bred doberman, because vet bills for poorly bred ones can be horrendous.)

Look for another part time job & try to work full time next summer. See how far that gets you towards your goal. (money from full time work can add up fairly quickly if your parents are willing to pay all your living expenses.)
Kate

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First of all, my family has 2 dogs, they are not mine personally, so yes, my family is going to be supportive of the dog, I am not going to be paying for the vet bills, just THE DOG. And sure, I'm not in NEED in the way that I need a dg, but in the way that I need the money, because everyone knows puppies aren't free. and obviously if my parents have said I can get a dog, they must think I can take care of it, no? My parents aren't stupid or pushovers. I take care solely for our two dogs currently, other than money. They may not be the dogs I would want, and I didn't pick them out, but I train them, walk them, feed them, and do everything for them. I've earned money for all my things that are not neccessities, my clothes, shoes, stuff, art supplies, etc. And I WILL save the money for my dog and take care of it. EXCUSE me for asking for help, thinking fellow doberman lovers would want to help someone. Yes, I have contacted and know the breeder I am purchasing from.Yes, I have a plan for my life, and next time, I'd appreciate it if people would not use the typical teenager stereotype, because I AM NOT a typical teenager. I don't know anyone my age who has been cleaning houses, or doing any type of work to raise money, or any who have to pay for anything for themselves, so if you have something rude to say to me, please refrain and keep it to yourself.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I am going to get a doberman. Dobermans are, in my opinion, the most beautiful, loyal, and loving breed. I clean a house every other saterday, He had 2 dobermans, and that is how I was brought into the world of Dobies, and how I fell in love with them. Unfortunately his favorite baby girl Izzy just died of old age a week ago, and it absolutely tore my heart out.:( Dobermans have exactly what I look for in a dog, and I can't wait to have one of my own.;)

Being the oldest child in the family, sometimes things get overlooked, and a puppy never really fit into the equation. Being an honors student with a high GPA, and helping an extreme amount around the house, my parents have decided I can get a dog in about a year. The catch is I have to pay for it myself. My family currently needs me at home, I'm slowly saving measly allowance and house cleaning $ (at $100 currently), and as soon as I turn 16 (October, yay!) I will get my liscence and a summer job, but I can use all the help I can get<3
:thanx:
WTF.

I certainly hope you're never truly "in need."

Will you donate to my "need a new Mercedes fund"?
Heck, my aspirations are even lower.

Hey, Bri, ol' buddy, how about donate to my "need a new clothes dryer" fund? I'm in need...

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
Your 1st post as a new member was asking for money. I consider that very rude. Some of us have been contributing members for years so please don't tell us to refrain from posting our opinion about someone asking for money, when they joined a second ago.

EXCUSE me for asking for help, thinking fellow doberman lovers would want to help someone. Yes, I have contacted and know the breeder I am purchasing from.Yes, I have a plan for my life, and next time, I'd appreciate it if people would not use the typical teenager stereotype, because I AM NOT a typical teenager. I don't know anyone my age who has been cleaning houses, or doing any type of work to raise money, or any who have to pay for anything for themselves, so if you have something rude to say to me, please refrain and keep it to yourself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I've been using doberman chat for about six months, and I don't have a doberman, so there was no reason to create an account.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your 1st post as a new member was asking for money. I consider that very rude. Some of us have been contributing members for years so please don't tell us to refrain from posting our opinion about someone asking for money, when they joined a second ago.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I've been using doberman chat for about six months, and I don't have a doberman, so there was no reason to create an account.

·
Ameteur Houdini
239 Posts
First of all, my family has 2 dogs, they are not mine personally, so yes, my family is going to be supportive of the dog, I am not going to be paying for the vet bills, just THE DOG. And sure, I'm not in NEED in the way that I need a dg, but in the way that I need the money, because everyone knows puppies aren't free. and obviously if my parents have said I can get a dog, they must think I can take care of it, no? My parents aren't stupid or pushovers. I take care solely for our two dogs currently, other than money. They may not be the dogs I would want, and I didn't pick them out, but I train them, walk them, feed them, and do everything for them. I've earned money for all my things that are not neccessities, my clothes, shoes, stuff, art supplies, etc. And I WILL save the money for my dog and take care of it. EXCUSE me for asking for help, thinking fellow doberman lovers would want to help someone. Yes, I have contacted and know the breeder I am purchasing from.Yes, I have a plan for my life, and next time, I'd appreciate it if people would not use the typical teenager stereotype, because I AM NOT a typical teenager. I don't know anyone my age who has been cleaning houses, or doing any type of work to raise money, or any who have to pay for anything for themselves, so if you have something rude to say to me, please refrain and keep it to yourself.
You aren't really making friends by getting upset. You posted a thread asking for money on a public internet forum. No one owes you anything respect-wise, all we have to work with (forming an opinion) is what information you have given us. Re-read your post from a stranger's perspective. It reads as though some kid wants a dog and doesn't want to work for it. That MAY OR MAY NOT be true, but it is what we see. That's all I'll say, but think about it from a different perspective than your own.

Sorry for hurting your feelings with that comment. Not that it matters, but I know loads of kids who do more than clean houses; they pay for their clothes, necessities and some of their money goes to their family. No, I''m not comparing and judging you based on them/myself. Just saying.

You should stick around here and learn. I know this forum has helped me immensely. As you said, we are all doberman lovers. I'll let you know, doberman people are generally more intense, no nonsense people. I'll apologize for my post, I was a little flustered when I wrote it and it didn't reflect on a "trying to help others" mentality. I do wish you good luck, but I hope you are responsible with everything you do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WTF.

I certainly hope you're never truly "in need."

Heck, my aspirations are even lower.

Hey, Bri, ol' buddy, how about donate to my "need a new clothes dryer" fund? I'm in need...
And hey ol buddy, I would, exceot the fact that I don't have spare money, or the ability to get a job, other than cleaning houses, but thanks for being SO kind' and spending your time saying such nice things, really appreciate it.

·
Go Dog Go
606 Posts
so if you have something rude to say to me, please refrain and keep it to yourself.
We might have been blunt or posted gifs showing shock, but I don't believe that anyone was rude.

I know lots of teenagers who worked from the time they were 14, and often babysitters are younger than that. You aren't different.

If you want a dog, buy fewer clothes, shoes, stuff, art supplies & build up your savings. If it's okay with your family ask for dobermoney instead of birthday and christmas gifts. Keep working, and do without - the same way other doberman lovers do.
Kate

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
You're kidding, right? This is some kind of lame joke, must be.

I could swear the money I've donated (regularly)--and will continue to donate--is for the love and rescue/rehab of Dobermans who someone has neglected to the point of being emaciated, beaten, ill, HW positive, covered in kennel sores--animals that have been pulled off death row in shelters, or rescued from being chained to a tree or in a filthy kennel in someone's basement or garage.

Kid, I'd have been more likely to donate to some unknown first-time poster if you'd asked for a new pair of Nikes.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts