Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we have a 7 month old red doberman pup called Tehya and she won't stop peeing in her bed at night. We take her out every night before bed and no water after her dinner at 5pm and still every night she pees in her hammock bed. I think she is peeing in her sleep, my husband and I don't know what to do. We bought her a kennel for outside becasue she can't sleep in the house anymore because of the constant peeing everynight in her bed.... Please help

Tehya by Melissa Milton, on Flickr

·
_______
5,102 Posts
What does the vet say?
I'd take her in to rule out a urinary tract infection or incontinence.
Is she spayed?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no not spayed yet, still hasn't had her first heat... I might take her to the vet tomorrow. I hate putting her out the back in her kennel as our other girl Mia sleeps at the foot of our bed and Tehya would love to sleep in side with us too :(

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
has anyone else had this problem??? Did it turn out to be a medical issue?

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
HOw long has it been going on? Did you have her since a pup?
Have you seen her squat, and no urine comes out at all?
I am not sure what time you go to bed, and or get up, but restricting water at 5pm, seems fairly early.
If you have her outside and she whimpers to go pee, you will not hear it. She has nothing to loose by peeing in the kennel then, because in her mind , she might already feel abandoned and Mia is enjoying the bottom of the bed.
Really without knowing all the details, she either has an UTI, incontinence, nervouseness or simply given up on good manners. You often have to think like a dog too,,,, If i was put outside lonely in a kennel and got pissed over it, you bet I would piss in the kennel, cuz it might be my way to get out of it.

No matter what the issue is, placing her outside, is going to create more problems than the current one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Take her to the vet.
UTI is not fun for the dog and the owner. I've been treating Xenas uti issue for well over a month now. Finally her new meds are responding to the infection.

Be sure to take her to the vet with a fluids in her bladder so the vet can get a good sample. Ask for the culture and sensitivity test to be done too (it's not a cheap test either).

Good luck!! And I hope your girl gets better soon!

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Please take her to the vet to get a medical eval. I personally don't ever restrict water as I don't feel it's safe or fair. But if you do, 5 pm is way too long to go without in my opinion AND to be peeing.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I also agree that you should take her to the vet and that restricting water at 5pm is REALLY early. When you say that you take her out every night before bed what exactly does that entail? Both of my dogs go out to pee before they are crated for the night around 9:30-10pm. Then they get taken out once more before the last person in the house goes to sleep (so around 12:30). Since puppyhood they have not had accidents in the crate unless sick.

Clean out her crate, take out the blankets/pads, and spread her kibble onto the crate pan for her meals. Dogs don't like to pee where they eat and this method has worked for me in the past.

Also, dobes are not outside dogs. They were created to be with their people and they are a short, single coated breed. They are not equipped to live.

Edit: Your pup is adorable and so are her dino jammies, did you make them and, if not, where did you get them??

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
I also agree that you should take her to the vet and that restricting water at 5pm is REALLY early. When you say that you take her out every night before bed what exactly does that entail? Both of my dogs go out to pee before they are crated for the night around 9:30-10pm. Then they get taken out once more before the last person in the house goes to sleep (so around 12:30). Since puppyhood they have not had accidents in the crate unless sick.

Also, dobes are not outside dogs. They were created to be with their people and they are a short, single coated breed. They are not equipped to live.
amen to all of this. the first time she slept on a pee mess, i'd have had her at the vet. my coworker had an incontinent female puppy, and for the longest time they thought it was just bad training until she did it in her sleep. could be a UTI, could just be incontinence. better safe than sorry with a vet visit ASAP.

Edit: Your pup is adorable and so are her dino jammies, did you make them and, if not, where did you get them??
and i needneedneed to know the answer to this. seriously. :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all for your help. Just want to clear a few things up...

1. We bought when she was 3 months old, when we picked her up it looked like all their dogs has lived outside and we thought that was a big mean to the dobermans... Anyway so we get home from the airport and Tehya is so scared to be in the house, i guess until then she had never been inside a house before. We sook her up and tell her it is ok and after a month or so she starts to relax, she now loves her inside time with the family.

2. in the 4 month we have owned Tehya she has never slept one night outside and peed in her hammock bed every night, only the last 2 nights has she been in her kennel and didn't pee in it once... She wears her jumper to bed and the kennels is at the back of the house under cover and away from and drafts. As soon as she has the peeing under control she will be in the room with us.

3. On a work night we go to bed at 8pm and are up at 6am, Tehya has a big drink with her dinner usually around 5pm sometimes later. She does a pee before bed and then in the morning when I let her out the back she runs to the grass and does another big pee. On a weekend I am usually up later so leave the water bowl on the kitchen floor for then to drink as they please until I go to bed.

4. We love our little red girl, please don't think we don't. Our dogs are so spoilt and Tehya has definatly come to a better home than the one she had with the breeder. It breaks my heart to put the little girl to bed knowing Mia gets to have a innerspring bed sleep every night. That is the only time Tehya is outside with out Mia, when we let Mia in Tehya comes in too so no favorits just the bed wetting is the issue.

5. Thank you for all your suggestions, I have made an appoitment with my vet for tomorrow, the earliest I could get her in. Mia comes to the vet with Tehya also so she doesn't get scared as she is a typically nervious dog around other people but is sookie girl with us.

6. My sister made the dino jumper, if your on facebook her page is bee-utiful pooch

Please keep the suggestions coming, i appriciate all the help

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So Tehya has a UTI, she is on medication now so fingers crossed the little girl can sleep a night with out wetting the bed soon. Back to the vets with more pee after her antibotics for a follow up test to make sure everything is all good. Poor little baby, hoping she gets better soon :(

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
I think you should also set an alarm to let her out at least once more during the night :( she is a puppy, and especially if she has a uti, doesnt need to hold her urine so long. The most my puppy holds hers is from 12am to 6am and she is racing for the yard by that time.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
I think you should also set an alarm to let her out at least once more during the night :( she is a puppy, and especially if she has a uti, doesnt need to hold her urine so long. The most my puppy holds hers is from 12am to 6am and she is racing for the yard by that time.
Thanks for the update. I hope she gets better soon and you guys can be one big family.
I second this, As pups and more so, if they have a UTI, bladder control is not the best. 10 hours is a long time, to hold their urine imo especially when they are under 1 yr old. I know, they can do it, but I am sure it is not good on their system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will start letting her out for a pee in the middle of the night, she is back inside again. Only lasted 2 nights outside, I felt so bad having to put her out there so its back inside again and mopping the laundry every morning for me. I will keep you updated how she is after her 10 days of meds

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Hi melissam!! I agree with a lot of people on here, but I will add my suggestions as well. I hope the UTI is the only problem, but I have more suggestions if she still pees:

1. What does she sleep on? If it is a giant quilt, when she pees it will soak in and she can sleep on it without being uncomfortable because the top will be more dry. Try putting a thin sheet or a pillow case or something like that so when she pees, it won't soak up and she will know that peeing in there will result in an uncomfortable sleep.

2. How big is her kennel? It should not allow her to move to different corners of it, or she can pee in one corner, and then move to another corner to sleep without being bothered by the pee at all!

3. Dogs don't like to pee where they eat, so you could try spreading some kibble or something in there. I never did this, but it worked for my friend.

4. (I know you said you will do this but I will write it anyway) Take her out in the middle of the night at maybe... 2 am or something? Brandy goes from 11 pm to 7 am (8 hours) and she always has to pee at 7 am, so 8 pm to 6 am (ten hours) is a long time for her. Are you sure she sleeps the whole time? Or does she wake up before you, having to pee?

Anyway, good luck with your CUTIE in the pajamas! I want some!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Melissam

You should see some improvement on symptoms after a few days to a week on the meds...doesnt mean that the UTI is fully treated, but the meds are responding to the infection.

Xena was on a med for 3 weeks with no improvement...I got her retested, and went with a different med, after 2 days she does not wet the bed at all if I keep up on potty breaks. She still has one weeks worth of meds to go, then she gets tested again to see if its been fully treated.

Good Luck to You!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts