Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, before y'all kick me off for my obsession with Jordan's nails please critique my dremeling. I want to get close but not too close to receed the quick. I took a picture the best I could for you to see. I have no idea what to look for. A little bit of white in the center of nail?, towards the bottom?. I saw some white towards the bottom so is this it? He is excellent at letting me do this and so patient with me.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Actually they look pretty short. Hard to tell though without him standing.

·
Whippet Up
1,588 Posts
Nice job. They look fine. You did just right with a little spot of white showing...that means you are close but not quite at the quick.

Nails do serve a purpose....so if you do any obedience and especially agility, your dog needs some nails to grip with. In the wild, the nails would naturally wear down but with our dogs on the sofa a lot (LOL) that just doesn't happen so we have to do it. Too long a nail can set the dog up for a toe break....but I digress......

We who show like that nice "cat foot" and a shortly trimmed nail....but I am of the opinion that some shorten the nails too much. They shouldn't be non existant!! LOL

Anyway you did good....short but not too short.

Elaine Hopper
Starlaine Dobermans

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are longer when he is standing and were getting longer and longer with each nail trim. I am less nervous with the dremel and he seems to be really calm with it. I wasn't sure what to look for when looking for the "white" but I think I can see now that I've gotten a little braver and I like the length they are now. Some of the end nails are a little longer then the middle ones but I'll work on those.

Thanks for the compliments. I feel so much better about it now. Don't think I'll try Summer though. Maybe after she sees me doing his a few times.

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
I think black nails are hard! I'm used to Frankie's white nails and I can actually see the quick. I have P trim Henneh's nails because they're black and he's had her since she was a pup so is used to them. What are your hints as to- when clipping with clippers- how far you know you can go? I'd love photos too...

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Annelies, Cleo would run down her nails too. She would run tracks in my yard and would tear up any field I brought her too. She was so easy when she did need trimmings because there was barely any there to begin with. Only when it was really cold for a few days or rainy would she need any kind of trimming. Jordan is much more laid back then she ever was, even in her old age.

Bean, Summer has half white and half black nails and some that have both white and black. I have a hard time with hers because she never cooperated with having her nails trimmed until she aged considerably. Hers are long and I only take off the tips, maybe a little more. There is almost an upside down U shape that you can see at the top of the nail. When looking underneath the nail there is a kind of meaty area. I will get as close as I feel comfortable to that meaty area while still just trimming off the upside down U shape covering the meat. It typically is no more then the tip of the nail. I'll have Summers done every few months by the vet so they don't get too long if I'm not happy with how much I can get off and still feel safe. She's also got arthritis and a little harder to maneuver and she has a couple nails that are really weird and I don't dare to touch them at all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know if it would help to have photos for comparison, but here are Rumor's nails. I hadn't been able to do them for almost 2 weeks, so they're a tad longer than normal in these.

His nails look pretty good to me, though.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can see the little white spot in the middle of those very well. Thanks. The pictures I took are also the back so they are shorter then the front. I'm happy for a beginner. And....jealous of your nails. I have gardners nails.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
And....jealous of your nails. I have gardners nails.
Me too. And not Rumor's nails. I wish I could grow mine out like that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I actually try to keep them short, as they get in the way when they're long. They're thick and grow way too fast for me to keep up with, though. I should start doing mine every time I do Rumor's. It's easier to remember to do hers than it is mine.

·
Premium Member
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Id be happy just to keep mine from breaking right down to the skin. Ouch!!! Mine will literally tear when putting the girls hair up in a ponytail from their hair going under my nails. Maybe it is one of the same concept as hair. The more you cut the faster it grows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts