Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can i play rough with my dog. I am playing a lot with my dog and sometime i am fighting with her we are playing. She sometime bite me not hard she just put her teeth on my arms and do low pressure i am letting her do that i don't know if i should. When i am telling her that it over and that she need to calm down it good she calm down really quick. Can she become aggressive to other person ?
I am playing with her on a sofa and i put her on her back and i hold her in this position while she try to go back on her paw. Then when i run she is following me and when i turn and look at her she go back on her couch. It all playing but can this affect her judgment. What game are you playing with yours dog that she like.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I play pretty rough with my pooch, and she loves it. As long as she doesn't get carried away, and still responds to commands, I don't see a problem with it.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I wouldn't encourage it, but that's just my opinion. It's not going to be so cute when it's a 100lb dog with adult teeth.
There are other ways to play that don't encourage roughhousing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't encourage it, but that's just my opinion. It's not going to be so cute when it's a 100lb dog with adult teeth.
yea i know but she like it and she is 60 lb 14 month. She got her adult teeth.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
when you have a drivey dog, rough play can be an awesome energy burn, and it's a ton of fun for the dog. If you have control, there's nothing wrong with it, and it won't make your dog mean, aggressive, or anything else. My dogs absolute favorite things in the world are playing tug, using the bite wedge, and when I say "wanna rumble?" she's upstairs waiting before I can finish talking lol.

I missed the part about letting your dog bite you, I wouldn't allow this, unless you're in the process of teaching a soft mouth. Yes, accidents do happen, but a sound minded dog understands that you're playing, and is not going to bite you, assuming you have taught for this. Sometimes when you're playing rough, an accident will happen, and it's just that, an accident. But I think there's a difference between an accidental skin grazing, and your dog purposely chomping on your arm. So there needs to be some common sense involved when playing. If Dakota accidentally grazes my arm, she will stop and give a lick as to say sorry, and if I say "ow" or something like that she will lay down.

In most situations I don't like a dog having his teeth on you, but again, if you're playing pretty rough, accidents do happen, and you have to be careful. Most of the time something happens it's my fault, I'm not as graceful as Dakota lol. Things need to be put in perspective, and you have to work within your dogs limits. If your dog cannot separate play from aggression, then you shouldn't play rough. If your dog can, and understands that there are limits, then there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
Sorry Roxy, I read the DOB of your dog as 2012 and not 2011, so assumed the dog was much younger.
But as with Kevin, any rough play that involves biting is still not something I would encourage in a young dog.

I have small dogs that were encouraged to face lick when younger and they absolutely terrify young children now by running straight for them, lunging for their face and licking them. I can only imagine what a small child would think if a doberman ran up to them and started biting their arm, even if it was soft.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
That's exactly how I play with my dog. It starts and stops when I want, and he only plays like this with me. He's never gone nuts or stopped listening to me or mouthed me out of the blue, nor has he tried to mouth anyone else. The bites have increased in pressure with my dog, though, and when I play with him I come out with horrible bruises up and down my legs and arms--so my SO has asked me to stop playing with Niz that way as people give him dirty looks in public.

·
Bad Wolf
960 Posts
I love to play rough with my girl. Like the others have said- make sure there are rules and when you want the game to stop it does.

Like Mangujowa I come out with holes and bruises... Its about whats right between you and your dog. :)

ETA before anyone flies off the handle my cat gives me bigger holes when we play.

Reactions: Stray 411

·
Banned
152 Posts
Roxy, you are the only one that truely knows your dog, if you trust your dog and you think she trusts you then i see no problem with a little rough play. If an accident happins though remember, you are playing and sometimes even accidents happin when you play, dont fly off the handle, just end the play time. Kevin stated it best, reread his post several times, theres some very sound information in it.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
My husband plays rough with Wheeler. Wheeler puts his teeth on Doug, but no pressure at all. They have a blast and when Doug says "okay, we're done", it's done. Wheeler plays this way with no one else, including me. Only Doug and only when Doug says "it's on!"

I see nothing wrong with it. It is good exercise and Wheeler loves it.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
It's not a good idea, except in the context of a specific training situation, like schutzhund - but there, it is very structured and there are rules and guidelines, so it isn't random rough-housing... dogs don't have the same boundaries we do, so your dog is not going to know if she has overstepped the lines of play to more than you're willing to accept. She should have lots and lots of play time and activities, but they should not include you as a chew toy, because one day she'll make a mistake, and then you'll be wanting to rehome her... please teach her commands and key words like "leave it", "drop it", "enough", "easy", etc... so she learns to inhibit her excitement. It'll be more fun for all - plus, if there are ever kids involved, her "playfulness" could be catastrophic. They think they're Chihuahuas.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Roxy, you are the only one that truely knows your dog, if you trust your dog and you think she trusts you then i see no problem with a little rough play. If an accident happins though remember, you are playing and sometimes even accidents happin when you play, dont fly off the handle, just end the play time. Kevin stated it best, reread his post several times, theres some very sound information in it.
Yes accident happen sometime but it not frequent. It can happen that she bite me a little hard then she know that i got hurt and she look at me and she lick my hand. She is not biting anyone and she only play when i want to play. I am starting the play and i can end it when i want. I just need to tell her it over calm down and she sit and look at me like why should we stop but she stop.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not a good idea, except in the context of a specific training situation, like schutzhund - but there, it is very structured and there are rules and guidelines, so it isn't random rough-housing... dogs don't have the same boundaries we do, so your dog is not going to know if she has overstepped the lines of play to more than you're willing to accept. She should have lots and lots of play time and activities, but they should not include you as a chew toy, because one day she'll make a mistake, and then you'll be wanting to rehome her... please teach her commands and key words like "leave it", "drop it", "enough", "easy", etc... so she learns to inhibit her excitement. It'll be more fun for all - plus, if there are ever kids involved, her "playfulness" could be catastrophic. They think they're Chihuahuas.
She got lot of play time and activities. She walk 2-3 hours per days and she also play with other dog close to my house frequently. She is not biting me sometime i am just looking at her and chasing her and she is chasing me. But it can happen that she put her teeth on my arms without pressure. She also know the command enough (done) and easy (relax). And when she do a bite on me she is not keeping my arms it a small bite like quick thing.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
^^^^ +1.

My first pup liked to play for more rough than pup #2...so I kept that in mind.

With current dog, I would very lightly pat the top of her front paws to wind her up.
Instead of getting physical with her, we would have insane tug-of-war games / and she always won.
I also did a lot of very early soft bite / muzzle training...and even practiced it every night before bed and when we woke up (I called it fight night).
She quickly learned to relax her jaw muscles with my fingers or hand delibertaly entered her mouth and toughed her K9's.

This Dad did this work, so Mom didn't have to take it...and she learned extremely quick.
So my hand became the target and other parts of my body, was off limits.
She also had a termendus ON / OFF switch...so it was always kept fun and did a lot to give this puppy confidence.
- when she met other people or children, she was very respectful of her bite / and didn't need to practice on these victims or strangers.
- as I conditioned her that only Dad wanted to play, as much and as hard as she wanted
- she controlled the pace of the workout and mental stimulation

More reading.
See my puppy training post: http://www.dobermantalk.com/puppy-corner/68153-feisty-bugger.html

·
Steph & Leala
78 Posts
When Leala plays too rough I say 'drop' and that means end of play, time to cool down, and she lays down. It helps keep play fun and not scary.

·
Banned
152 Posts
When Leala plays too rough I say 'drop' and that means end of play, time to cool down, and she lays down. It helps keep play fun and not scary.
Which makes me think of something i left out, play time if it's rough play can be used for practicing things, I like to get Sheeba tugging on a toy as hard as she can and when shes really into it i use the command "OUT", if she releases quickly i get excited and reward her very quickly, if she takes a bit to release i still tell her good job but not with the excitment i use on the quick release. Just in case something ever occures and you need to have something to make your dog releases its hold, not sure if this the correct way to do it, but its what i like to use and she seems to get the point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts