Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a male and female, litter mates aged ten months, and have had relatively few issues with their development, both are extremely well behaved, and get a lot of my time, both together and separately. As of today, I have noticed their play time turning more aggresive, and this has raised a concern. They get slightly jealous in my presence of one another, but nothing serious, a slight contest of getting first affection. I am aware of litter mate syndrome, and had I known prior to acquiring the dogs, I might not have gone this course, as the time and effort during their first few months was incredibly taxing, but thankfully it seems to be coming together. How do I confront this play aggression ? Thanks

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
you may have to figure which one is the alpha and adjust your greeting and all other areas of attention

Huh?

What is this based on?

Dogs know we are not other dogs, they really do.

OP, without being there and seeing actually what is going on, advice over ye olde interwebs can be iffy.

Are they both enrolled (separately) in obedience classes?

Are they both altered?

If not, has your girl had her first season yet?

I would get Leslie McDevitt's DVDs and work on the calming/relaxation protocols, the Look at That exercise, and if you don't have this in place already, I'd work hard on teaching Leave It as well as a Settle command, and a Go to Place command.

It's then up to you to referee their "matches" and get proactive about stopping things BEFORE they escalate.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Leia gets to see her brother Luke about once a month.. sometimes a bit more often. Luke is my daughter's dobe.

Although they adore each other, and get along great, sometimes play can get a bit too rough. We never let them play unsupervised, and they both know the command "easy!" if they do start to get carried away. They are 9 months old.

If I were you, I wouldn't allow them to play unless supervised. Play can turn into a fight pretty quickly. I would also teach them a 'cease and desist' command that puts them at a stop immediately.

Here's a short video of Luke and Leia playing, with me telling them 'easy' when I sense play turning too rough. Watch for raised hackles on Leia (pink and black collar). They are 6 months old in this video. :)

Luke and Leia 1-21-2012.wmv - YouTube

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Leia gets to see her brother Luke about once a month.. sometimes a bit more often. Luke is my daughter's dobe.

Although they adore each other, and get along great, sometimes play can get a bit too rough. We never let them play unsupervised, and they both know the command "easy!" if they do start to get carried away. They are 9 months old.

If I were you, I wouldn't allow them to play unless supervised. Play can turn into a fight pretty quickly. I would also teach them a 'cease and desist' command that puts them at a stop immediately.

Here's a short video of Luke and Leia playing, with me telling them 'easy' when I sense play turning too rough. Watch for raised hackles on Leia (pink and black collar). They are 6 months old in this video. :)

Luke and Leia 1-21-2012.wmv - YouTube
I've seen the video. Wow great dobes. I have same too - without ears cropped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts