Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions on how to curb this? It is the first thing he does when he comes up to me, and once he is comfortable with another person, he starts mouthing them. 14 weeks old now. I have read different things, like putting a toy in his mouth, screaming really loud to indicate it hurts, holding the muzzle shut and say "No !". Nothing is working, and it is getting worse. I don't really think it is an aggressive thing, just playing and showing affection. Please let me know what to do !!! Thanks !!!

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
With my boy I yelped loud as if it hurt and then I ended all play for 10-20 seconds. The yelping told my boy that he hurt me and stopping play taught him that when he hurts me he doesn't get to play anymore.

I think it took Dreizehn 2 days to get it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 5 1/2 month old male dobie. I totally feel your frustration because I was there and have pictures of how my hands looked a two months ago to prove it. I tried everything everyone suggested, I replaced my hands with toys, I yelped really loud (the first time it startled him so bad he fell over backward, every time after he just ignored me) There were two days when I fell apart in tears, the biting was wearing me down and even though I knew it was just puppy stuff, it was constant, it still hurt, and I was getting sooo tired of it. Suddenly, almost overnight, at about 5 months it just seemed to stop. I won't tell you that he's never mouthy now, but when he does put his teeth on my hands it's not with any pressure and it doesn't hurt. I think the fact that most of his sharp baby teeth have been replaced with adult teeth help. Now he can at least sit with me without putting his teeth on me most of the time.. I am so grateful. I'm still working on not getting him to touch me with his teeth at all, but now it's at least manageable. I had heard that the puppy mouthyness disappears between 5-6 months no matter what method you use.. I know that seems like forever to you right now but if you can just hang in, it will soon, in the not too distant future, be so much better then you can imagine right now. Good luck and try not to expect too much from him at this age.. like somone on this forum wrote "I only wish I knew how great my dog was going to be when he was a puppy, I'd have been much more patient with him." It's true.:D

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Ending all play, sends a good message and resuming again, shows you want to play but only if no biting or mouthing. I like getting dramatic leaving the room, slamming doors, yelping, fake crying, etc. BUT I will say "play fight" and all bets are off and I will let Nubis fake bite and mouth me, but everything has to be gentle or our game is over. He loves playing this game and once he understands the difference, there will be less and then no mouthing unprovoked.
BUt you have to be the one starting this game.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Thanks so much everyone, her's hoping he grows out of it in a couple of months.
Right on!!!!
Get his most favorite toy and or treat and use those tools to curb behaviors.
Alot of times, these items get you undivided attention and a means of redirecting, then PRAISE for Stopping the unwanted behavior.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Cwinifredg - Your pup is 14 weeks old, and that is good / still young.

I start muzzle training / soft bite control, in the first week of getting a new pup.
First i teach fetch frisbee, than fetch tennis ball...and constantly stroke the muzzle, with my fingers...adding to the excitment and control.
Once the tennis ball is returned, I start pulling on it with my hand, in a form of tug.
Then I rotate my hand and fingers into the dogs mouth, and if the bite is excessive...I make a loud & sharp ITCH noise.
Then I throw the ball again, and repeat the process.
When we do to bed, the pup and I will play tug & soft bite training for 5 minutes...I coined this "fight night".
Again in the morning, I say "fight night"...and play some tug, and rotate my hand into the dogs jaws for soft bite control...another 5 minutes of fun.

With a young dog, I don't try to avoid getting bite for a day or two...but use this new experence, to establish my own threshold discomfort level.
I don't avoid getting mouthed or even redirect to discourage a bite / I know it going to happen, and the sooner I get a handle on controlling the pups jaw forces, the quicker it will be a non issue.
- usually I get a soft bite from a pup, after a day or two of putting my fingers/hand in the dogs mouth on purpose...always with a game attached
- also helps build my leadership role, since the dog has to exercise much mouth/muscle control...so the training is most valuable & critical for me
- an strong element of focus training, results from establishing the foundation
- when I rotate my fingers into Amy's mouth, its almost like she is wired with an electronic proximity in their
(I never get even an oz of sharpness clamp-down from her teeth...when my fingers purposely slip into her mouth, I have zero worry from a relaxed jaw)
- when we play tug, she can clamp down all she wants...and this activity, fullfills that need...during teething, etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
With my boy I yelped loud as if it hurt and then I ended all play for 10-20 seconds. The yelping told my boy that he hurt me and stopping play taught him that when he hurts me he doesn't get to play anymore.

I think it took Dreizehn 2 days to get it.
Do you mean 10-20 minutes?

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Do you mean 10-20 minutes?
Not to talk for her, but I think she was correct in saying seconds. 10-20 minutes is a LONG time to ignore a puppy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts