Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just recently brought a pit into my home. His owner could no longer keep him as she broke her foot and lost her job and apartment. So i said I would take him in. He is 2, neutered. My question, does anyone else have a pit and a Dobe in their home, and how do these breed co-exist? This is not my first pit and I am knowledgable about the breed, but I do not yet own my Dobe. So I dont know which sex of dobe i will be getting. I was leaning toward a male. But I also know that most pits dont do well with the same sex of dog under the same roof, even tho i know of exceptions. any info would be helpful!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Me too,just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
My question, does anyone else have a pit and a Dobe in their home, and how do these breed co-exist? This is not my first pit and I am knowledgable about the breed, but I do not yet own my Dobe
when we had our old female doberman when I was little...we were watching a female pit/amstaff...and my mom was playing with them in the yard...and they got into a big fight over whatever they were playing with.
so my guess is that most likely its not smart to have two females either...

·
Registered
880 Posts
Flash, actually I would seroiusly reconsider the idea of getting the dobe untill you get to know this pit really really! well. Pits are amazing dogs, I love em, but they do unfortunetly have the tendency to be dog aggressive.

I've known a number of them and very few were actually trustworthy around other dogs (and all of them have been raised and socialized with other dogs, so socialization was not an issue). By trustworthy I mean that you could be 100% certain that they would not start a fight for some stupid reason. They were some of the most wonderful dogs I have known and I would have gotten one in a flash, but that's the unfortunate part about these dogs. The fact that they can be so unconditionally loving towards all people, but be aggressive and unpredictable with other dogs.

If you do decide he's ok with dogs and you still want to get a dobie, go for a female. I'm not the one to yell "fire!" when it comes to male dobermans, but in this case I think you actually would be better off with a girl.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
well. Pits are amazing dogs, I love em, but they do unfortunetly have the tendency to be dog aggressive.
I agree...I use to volunteer at a local shelter...and they took adoptable pits and we actually have had alot throughout my time there. They were great with all the people...you could stick your hand in the cage and pet them...they'd kiss you...they sat with me in the grass...and the puppy or small pits liked to roll around in my lap...but there was only one pitbull that was able to play with the other dogs...but only puppies, she was small, probably 4 years old and she didnt mind the other dogs. Every other pit and I mean EVERY other pit...not just generalizing had dog aggression issues...every introduction made us say NO WAY real quick. They were fine on walks...like they didnt act out when they saw another dog out on a walk...
most of the time it was the puppies that we would see if they could play well with another dog...or puppy...but even at puppies...they seemed to play too rough...and if they did play bite it is much harder of a bite more often than most puppy play...Im no expert at all lol but im just saying through my experience there hasnt been a great outcome of pits Ive seen that weren't dog aggressive...something I would never take the risk of having two dogs if I had a pit.
I guess since you'll have the pit first if you realize he is dog aggressive...and it starts seeming like he is aggressive with every dog male or female...you would just have to not get your Doberman...

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I would get that pit out and about to see how he reacts to dogs, thankfully he's at the age where the aggression will or won't start to show. Either way if you get another dog they should always be seperate when you aren't there. I love pits and had one, would have one again in a heartbeat. Go to some reading at http://www.workingpitbull.com/ it's the best pit information out there. As for the same sex issue it totally depends on the dog but pits generally do better with opposite sex. I know quite a few people who have multiple male dobes without issue.

·
Premium Member
8,861 Posts
MIA said:
I would get that pit out and about to see how he reacts to dogs, thankfully he's at the age where the aggression will or won't start to show. Either way if you get another dog they should always be seperate when you aren't there. I love pits and had one, would have one again in a heartbeat. Go to some reading at http://www.workingpitbull.com/ it's the best pit information out there. As for the same sex issue it totally depends on the dog but pits generally do better with opposite sex. I know quite a few people who have multiple male dobes without issue.
I know very few people who can keep multiple male Dobermans together and quite a few who can't keep more than one male Doberman.

While there are breeds who can co-exist as a group with more than one male, Dobermans and Pit Bulls are not among them. It takes an extremely knowledgeable person to keep multiple males together.........and then most likely they have no bitches at all. I do know of someone who has multiple males and each one has to have its own seperate area of the house and they NEVER mix.

Anyone else who does it is just in the minority of dang lucky THIS time.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I know many people that have same sex pits and dobes, depends on the owner, the dog and how things are handled. I am not saying a newbie should run out and do this but it can be done with an experienced handler who knows what they are doing and understands dogs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the input. I have experience training bully breeds, so Im not worried about the training part. I know your not supposed to have 2 same sex pits in the same house, but yet see ppl who do it with success.This pit is good with female dogs, I have 2 already. When we walk and encounter another dog, he is more curious than anything..whining and such. When he actually gets to meet one nose to nose, he does really well. Just sniffs and wags his tail. no growling or hairs on end. I have time to really evaluate him, since my pup wont even be born till FEb.or so. My pit came with a crate, which he does really well in,and if i did get a male Dobe, they wouldnt be left alone together. I am familiar with workingpitbull.com, I go there often. She has some awesome dogs. Thanks again

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I see you are still waiting for your dobe. :) Are you still getting a puppy from the dad of Duchess and Blackdog?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep, still waiting! Thats why all the questions about in mindful innerworkings of the Dobe brain. Of coarse, I have 2 females at home to. Is that gonna be a problem if I get a female Dobe? Am I just doomed from the beginning?

·
Banned
675 Posts
You have a much higher chance of success in your "pack" if you get a female Doberman than if you get a male since you already have a male pitbull. In fact, most responsible breeders won't sell you a male Doberman puppy if you already have a male of any breed, much less a pitbull.

Female dogs can fight, but as a general rule, most male Dobermans are male dog aggressive as adults. I've had multiple female Dobermans along with females of other breeds together without fighting, but not males.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Are you still getting a puppy from the dad of Duchess and Blackdog?
sorry flash I didnt quite know if you answered the question in the quote. I know you said yes to still waiting I just didnt know if that was also a yes for getting the puppy with the same sire at Duchess and Blackdog's.

If you are going to have this male pitbull I agree with Micdobe that you should probably put in a request for a female pup...no doubt about it. Plus you dont want to take the chance of requesting a male puppy only to find out they wont place him with you...then maybe missing out on having one of the puppies at all :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am still waiting for Bubbas pups, yes. I am on the waiting list for "a" pup. I didnt request a certain sex.I think she asked me what sex i prefered, but at the time, i didnt know. She didnt seem too concerned about my indecision. I am pretty high up on the waiting list (3rd or 4th)
so I am hoping there will be a selection of both.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She is supposed to be bred this Dec. so I should have a pup by Feb. Actually home by April or so. I am getting together with my friend J so we can walk our dogs together around the Greenbelt we have here. She has several male dogs, so we'll get together and see how he does. I was wondering, if male Dobes are still same sex aggressive even if they get fixed at a young age? I am not planning on breeding, so any dog I get will be fixed immediately. My last pit was fairly old when I got him and didnt get fixed till he was over 6 or so. He was ok with males that had been neutered. He just saw them as big girls I think!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Yes, they can still be same sex aggressive even with neutering.

Your dog may get along with the other dogs on walks, but it'a a whole different game actually living together.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts