Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pit bull attacked a 20-month old girl, tearing off one of her ears.

The victim, Sway Sontag, is recovering at Children's Hospital. The good news is doctors say she will be able to hear again.

Sontag's grandmother, Judy Worcester, was carrying the little girl through their backyard in Marion, when the dog lunged at them from behind a shed.

"I think it was the most horrible thing I've ever seen," said Worcester. "I don't know how many times, it seems like three times, I pried his mouth off of her. But then he'd just grab her again."

Worcester said she never meant to walk so close to the pitbull which was restrained with a simple chain and collar. The dog bit both of Sway's ears, one was completely torn off.

Sway's older sisters had to fight off the dog.

"At first they were just kicking the dog and hitting and I kept saying 'get the baby, get the baby'," said Worcester.

David Long owned the pit bull. His wife is little Sway's cousin, and they had just moved into the home where the attack took place.

"It didn't never cross my mind that that would happen or I would have disposed of the dog myself," said Long.

Long suspected the pit bull's previous owner abused it as a fight dog. He told some family, including Worcester, but didn't tell Sway's father Dominic, who says Long deserves to be charged.

"I don't want to see him go to prison forever, but I don't want other people to think that they can just get away with not taking care of your animal," said Dominic Sontag.

Both Long and Worcester accept responsibility and hope for the family's forgiveness. Though they're not sure it will come.

"I know I'll never forgive me, so I wouldn't expect them to," said Worcester.

Felony charges are expected to be filed against the dog's owner next week. The Marion County Sheriff says the pit bull, considered a vicious breed, should have been restrained in a locked pen with a roof.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I feel for the family Thank goodness the little girl is going to be ok.I hate hearing things like this. I wish this dog fighting would stop. These poor dogs are just doing what they are trained to do, then given to a pet home and then this is what happens. Sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts