Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother has a 1.5 yr old male Pit. He called the other night looking for advice on some skin problems. First off Jasper is a Blue so I wasn't completely surprised to hear he was having issues. But I guess he's pretty much bald from the last rib to the base of his tail and he's chewing quite a bit. He had fleas but they treated their yard and house and then in 1 day they dipped him, gave him a bath with flea shampoo and put the hartz version of frontline on him. I can't help but think that a large portion of his problem right now is a reaction to all the chemicals put on him in one day - thinking that might be the problem they then gave him an oatmeal bath. I advised them at this point to not put anymore chemicals on him and that benadryl may help with the itch. I also advised a call to the vet but they're broke and probably won't call or follow his advice if they do.
Do you all know of anything he can do or use that will be soothing for this poor guy?

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I tell you what that Hartz stuff is bad news. I would wash him in a degreasing cleanser, like dawn dish soap that will remove that crap (not just a normal shampoo) , and wait about 3-4 days or so for his natural oils to come back and put some advantage or frontline on him.

I used that stuff about 8 years ago on my cat when I didn't know any better, and she got tremors from it as well as becoming very ill. I've since spoken to people that have used it with similar results on their animals, dogs and cats.

In the future, no need to dip or use a chemical laden shampoo on him, any shampoo will get rid of the fleas, it is just a matter of treating the environment and protecting him to keep the fleas gone.

Poor guy, keep us updated!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have heard the same thing about Hartz. I would say put some baby oil on it? It should soothe the itch and keep some oil on the dog.

I will say though that I am not sure. Maybe others will disagree with this idea which is fine. I am just thinking of other things. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,665 Posts
he probably needs to have a skin scraping done at a local vet. If there is a large problem it is better to catch it quick especially with the july heat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts