Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My doberman just turned two. He got his ears cropped when he was young. Continued posting and when I stopped one ear went floppy. At this time my husband was away for almost two weeks and it was so hard to keep them posted as it was. I shouldn't have given up but at that point I thought it was too late. A couple months ago we tried posting again, wishful thinking, but it made his ear look really weird at times so we stopped again.

Is there ANYTHING I can do at this point? Every time I look at my dog I feel like I failed him! I put him through the pain of getting his ears cropped just to give up.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,014 Posts
Two YEARS old?
Too late, I would think. Though there are some surgeries that can be done--but that would just be putting him through more. And the chances of those succeeding aren't particularly high anyway.

·
Big Lil pup
6,735 Posts
Awww... Cute pup.

Trust me... Your pup (name?) could not care less that he has a floppy ear! LOL. Some of my favorite dogs on this forum have a one or two of their ears down like that. In fact we have a regularly contributing member whose big burly boy usually walks around with one up and one down.

As far as feeling guilty, my dogs have always had their ears cropped and I've never really associated excess pain with the surgery. It might hurt a bit for the first few days, for which often they are given some mild pain meds. And then they probably itch for a few days more while they heal totally.

As far as posting, I firmly believe that my boys have always benefited from the months of posting. They became used to being handled and in the end became much more tolerant to having hands put on them when necessary. Our vet agrees, and his techs have called my current dog one of the easiest dogs they care for. I also feel that posting contributes to an early aid in the bond that forms between a Doberman and its owner.

IMO, your pup's ear will never stand. And, any corrective surgery would put your dog in the kind of discomfort that you are concerned about.

Best to you and your boy

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Well there are some things that can be done this late on a flopped ear but you need to find a vet that does that kind of surgery. Who originally cropped him?

I pretty much agree with the people who think it's too late (even though the kind of surgery that corrects that sort of flop isn't terrible invasive so not really very painful) at this late date I'd kind of be inclined to leave the ear alone. Try massaging it up and there have been a few cases of a flopped ears suddenly standing two or three years later but don't count on it.

dobebug

1 - 8 of 8 Posts