Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently Ajax has developed what can only be described as pimples on what would be his chin... He is losing the hair just on those spots, infact the rest of his coat is shiny and healthy. It really looks like he is 13 year old kid who ate way too much chocolate since it is only under his mouth.

I plan on taking him into the vet tomorrow, but if anyone could maybe give me a heads up on what I might be dealing with it would be greatly appreciated.

He also does not ppear to be in any pain or discomfort, unless i push on them or touch them. But even then he just moves his head away and goes about his buisness, no real lasting effect.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

·
Banned
675 Posts
It *is* his chin, not "would be" his chin, lol. How old is he? It's what some people call Doberman acne. Some people treat them, some people ignore them. My Doberman Mic was the only one of my Dobermans to have them and they went away as he matured, so maybe they really are acne.

Some people say they can be caused by plastic food bowls, but I always use stainless steel bowls, so it wasn't that.

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
Tia suffers with this a lot the vet gave us a course of antibiotics which cleared it up but 2 weeks later it was back,most people recommend "Hibiscrub" which is an antibacterial wash that surgeons use to clean their hands.I don't know what it is called in the U.S.but it works for Tia,you have to water it down and scrub it on the chin ,mainly after the dog has eaten because a lot of dobes tend to stick their chin in the food,as micdobe said it is more than likely an acne type of spot and a visit to the vet is probably not needed,not to mention expensive.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I had noticed this on Bruno's chin as well. We also use stainless steel food dishes. But it makes sense about how they eat. Because I know sometimes Bruno sticks his whole face in the water to drink, or in his food to eat lol. Such a clown he is. But I wasn't that worried about them since I have seen them on other Dobes. I met a lady at the grocery store that had a handsome 2yr old male. She told me she had started showing him and is loving it. But I had noticed that he also had this on his chin, but I guess he had scratched it because it was bleeding a little bit. I mean it wasn't like pouring blood, but I could see red spots. But he was gorgous :) Finally met another dobe in town LOL.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess got pimples on her chin when she was a puppy...they went away...We didn't think too much of it...since we feed her dry food mixed with water at the time...so we just thought it may be from the food...and just splashed some water on her chin after she ate...I dont know if that is what it was...and it helped or it just went away by itself....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He is 13 months old, and I use stainless steel bowls...

Thanks for the great tips guys I will try some anti-bacterial wash before I take him to the vet then. See if that helps =)

·
Extraordimary
4,985 Posts
A lot of times they contain ingrown hairs that will shoot out if you squeeze them. "Chinples" are very common in Dobermans. We squeeze them and then we swab with antibacterial wash or sometimes with Listerine for astringent purposes.

·
Premium Member
10,878 Posts
If they are very bad (and they are common--some Dobes outgrow them and some don't) try buying one of the acne washes for people and every time he eats clean his chin with that and dry it off--that helps too.

Like MaryandDobes said I've also often found that they do contain ingrown hairs and I also open the pimple and then clean the area with the acne wash and dry it.

For the record--I had one dog who had never had chin pimples until I started using water on his food--up to that time he'd always eaten it dry--or occasionally mixed with yoghert or canned food if we were traveling just to make sure he ate when he was supposed to. He hadn't been a full week on the food with water added when he had a crop of chin pimples. I thought that was very strange but since it was the only thing that had changed I went back to feeding him dry and they went away promptly.

Pretty odd I thought....

·
Banned
675 Posts
OTOH I've always fed with water on the food and I only had one dog with chin pimples, and they went away aftr adolescence and he continued to eat his food with water on it.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cyrus used to get these when he was younger. I started washing his chin after he ate with Cetaphil and they cleared right up.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
yeah like I said duch had them as more of a puppy...eating with water...I splashed her chin with water...but now she is 2 and doesnt get them even though she still eats her food with some dry mixed with canned wet food and some water....and she is clear of pimples :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts