Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any alternative? My baby is about 15 months, and we've gone through toooooo many pillows. I tried to correct her when she used to do it, but she would through hissy fits, and it seemed to calm her before we go to sleep. At one point I was buying her her own pillows (the $1 ones from ikea) because I figured if thats the "toy" she likes, then let it be.

Is anyone else have this issue? Is it a sign of a malady, or just an ocd thing? Is there anything else I could provide for her to suck on that would be better then a pillow? Is it even ok to let her suck on such things?

Thanks =)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dickson is a huge blanket sucker, he never rips or shreds them, but sometimes they get holes from him grinding his teeth a little.

He used to suck on pillows, sweaters, duvets, anything fabric really so I just provide him with his own wool blankets that I keep with or accessible at all times in the house. He's not destructive so i've never corrected the behaviour, if he has something that I don't want him sucking on I just replace it with his own.

I think its pretty normal for the breed, as I have met quite a few with the same habits as dickson. I think whether you correct it or not is based on what your okay with. If your okay with her doing I don't think theres anything wrong with it so long as she isn't swallowing or eating them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My girl developed sucking issues AFTER she had went thru her first heat at about 9 months old. The only thing she sucks on though are her stuffed toys. Thank goodness, cause I would hate to have slobber all over pillows or blankets lol.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I have a question about the whole sucking thing because I think Diesel might do it. Can someone describe what it looks like?

Diesel does this thing right before he goes to sleep where he takes his favorite blanket and bunches it up and puts it in his mouth and just kind of lays there and sometimes gently closes and opens his mouth or that's what it looks like and he kneads it sometimes like a cat. He only does it to one blanket and pillows but that's it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My girl literally "fluffs" up the pillow to the shape she likes, shOves a mound of the fabric in her mouth and sucks/drools on it lol often she'll throw in a jerking like movement to the passive suck an shell just keep doing it til she falls asleep.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Kwhite, thats the exact movement my girl does, she usually lays on the floor and puts her stuffed animal in her mouth and she even kneeds her paws like a cat when doing it.
Do you let her do it or do you try to stop it? He doesn't rip the blanket or eat any of it so I'm not concerned about him hurting himself but he does seem to love doing it to fall asleep.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Harper sucks his flank and has done it as long as I can remember. He quietly moans and groans while he does it, but it is very calming and soothing to him and he gets this glazed look in his eyes and will eventually fall asleep. When he gets a really good suck going he'll get his side pretty foamy and wet, but he always grooms it off.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
My big boy (dane) who passed in January used to suck his pillows and toys; I purchased him a few big, soft fleece type toys and those worked as far as deterring him from my pillows. I found that there was certain types of materials that he liked better so I provided him with them and he sucked them instead of things I didnt want him to suck.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I let her do it, I dont see any harm at this point in it. It makes her happy and its not like thats all she does. She just does it when shes ready to nap, and not everyday.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy has OCD flank sucked, and one large scare tissue lump, the size of a base ball to prove it.
I think the early sucking stemmed from not liking Dad gone to work, and hating her crate...sucking was her only way to cope with sadness alone.
- she seldom does it now, but Dad has been retired (for 3 years) ...and with her almost 24/7

She loves her stuffies, but has never been a blanket &/or pillow sucker...when she was a baby, these where off limits...with a firm NO.

When we go to bed, I use to let her have a stuffy in her mouth for only a few minutes...then we would take it or ask her to drop it.
Not difficuly for her, since I have to pat her or rub her belly (first 5 minutes)...to get her in night-sleepy mode (without getting whined at)...LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
Duchess stuffs a huge wad of blankie in her mouth and sucks and falls asleep. I buy inexpensive fleece blankets at the dollar store or other discount store. Then, if they are large enough, I cut them into smaller ones. Even if you don't cut them, most have a thread edging around them and it unravels easily. I always remove that first so she doesn't swallow it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there any alternative? My baby is about 15 months, and we've gone through toooooo many pillows. I tried to correct her when she used to do it, but she would through hissy fits, and it seemed to calm her before we go to sleep. At one point I was buying her her own pillows (the $1 ones from ikea) because I figured if thats the "toy" she likes, then let it be.

Is anyone else have this issue? Is it a sign of a malady, or just an ocd thing? Is there anything else I could provide for her to suck on that would be better then a pillow? Is it even ok to let her suck on such things?

Thanks =)
My male doberman loves holding pillows between his paws nibbles at them chief really seems to enjoy this I have heard lots of Dobermans like doing this

·
Big Lil pup
6,727 Posts
Hi Dober"62. This thread is 11 years old and only one of the posters is still active.

You should go to the "New member introduction" forum and introduce yourself and your boy. That would be great! You can find the forums at the top of the page between the "NEW" button and your avatar. just click on the 5 bars and the forums will pop up.

BTW... My 6 1/2 yo male has always suckled various things. These days I provide one ratty old dog bed that he loves to climb on and suck. It is quite sooting to him.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
130 Posts
This is interesting. Both my boys make sucking noises at night ever since we brought them home. Almost as if they were still feeding from mom but they never suck any blankets or anything. They do have stuffed toys they like to bring to bed and sleep with. Each has their favorite. I thinks its good to let them have their “thing” that comforts them.
Seems okay as long as it remains healthy though and something that doesnt have negative long lasting effects

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts