Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I gave my girl a Pig Ear to chew on. She absolutely loved it!! I did monitor her the entire time. Now I'm reading that they may be dangerous for her, cause runny stool from all of the fat, etc. Has anyone tried Greenies or have any other suggestions for a tasty chew?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I used to give Petri (my chihuahua mix) Greenies religiously - his teeth were horrible and did improve a great deal once I started giving them. They also helped his breath! But I've read a few stories that dogs have suffered severe blockages because of them and that because of that they are unsafe. I'm not sure if these stories are founded or not. Petri will now chew on RMB's (raw meaty bones), so I really don't need to buy the Greenies anymore, plus the RMB's are a whole lot cheaper!!!
I don't like Pig ears or hooves because they stink and my two will fight over them.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I agree with you about Greenies. Its because if they bit off a bigger piece than what is recommended by the manufacturer, then it does not digest fully and then can cause blockages. I like pigs ears, well I mean Nikki does, I never tried them. I have had some problems with a few brand, especially if they were the real cheap ones. Look for a quality brand for them. I also like to give Nikki Bully sticks, I particular like the Red Barn brand and have used the Merrick brand on occasion. They do last a few days before they are gone. Just make sure you monitor them while they are chewing just to make sure they don't swallow large pieces.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Kratty said:
I agree with you about Greenies. Its because if they bit off a bigger piece than what is recommended by the manufacturer, then it does not digest fully and then can cause blockages.

Actually no. The issue is giving the dog a greenie that's too big for it. The blockages weren't caused by chunks of the bones, but by the actual ground up mass. If you watch your dog eating a greenie, that stuff turns into an almost muddy like mush. It was an "overdose" of that stuff that caused the blockage in some dogs.

I still give greenies to my dog, she absolutely loves them. The key is moderation. Don't give your dog greenies that are too big, and don't give them too often (like daily).

Pig ears are fine, but they are greasy and can give your dog the runs. They're not dangerous, but they're not the healthiest snack you could have picked. Personally, with a big dog, I would stick to bones.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I personally don't feed any of those things as a rule along with rawhides (yuck). The only bones I give are the raw soup bones from the butcher or grocery store. Like tracy said, they are SO cheap!! I pay like a dollar for 2! That said, they are always supervised when chewing. All of my dog's teeth are cleaner then ever!

·
Banned
675 Posts
The problem with greenies is not only that the dog gets a greenie too big for it. The problem is swallowing chunks of the greenie. Sometimes the dog is okay, sometimes it isn't. Some dogs have gotten pieces of greenie stuck in their throat, others have had an obstruction from swallowed greenies.

My IGs love greenies, go crazy for them, I used to let them gnaw on them while I held them, or closely supervised, but even that way Molly managed to break off a chunk of one and swallow it, so I stopped giving them.

On the IG list they were discussing safer alternatives to greenies, and one of the things mentioned were Flossies, made by Merrick. I was already giving them to Mic and to Monte, and they didn't have any problems with them, whether that means they're completely safe or not I don't know.

I also give the pressed rawhide bones to Monte, they're supposed to be the safest kind of rawhide, I use a medium size one he can finish in one session, so I don't have the problem of picking up soggy ones, or him resource guarding it from the IGs, etc.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I'm not a fan of Greenies...when it comes to smaller breed dogs they are a disaster waiting to happen-so many cases of blockage as well as choking on it in small breeds that I have never once let my dogs try them. Pigs ears can also cause blocking but the cases are not even close to as many recorded.

I give my dogs frozen marrow bones. If you freeze them, it kills off any bacteria and the marrow bone itself is a great tool to help the dog chew off tartar build up on the teeth. The marrow itself is also has some nutritional value in it.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Greenies are evil! Piper LOVES them, but I will never ever give another dog a greenie again forever...she too swallowed to big of a chunk and I woke up at about 2am to a dog who was having trouble breathing/throwing up. It was awful, when it came back up you could tell right away what it was. That bag was in the trash quicker than you can say greenie. I also dont like to give rawhides and pig ears, but one thing I have found that they love and so far has been okay is baked sweet potatos. They come in a bag, and they are hard like a rawhide or pig ear so they have to work on it, but it is nothing more than a sweet potato slice that has been baked. I just got a bag the other day, I will have to see what they are called and let everyone know. Mine love them, and I feel better giving them those than any rawhides.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
No greenies ever given out here. Once in a blue moon I might pass out pig ears, the same with giant pressed rawhide bones. Mostly my dogs get frozen knuckle bones. LOL, the other day I handed out knucklebones that were larger than their heads..the dogs were AWED.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I havent tried the greenie things yall are speaking of. I have heard rawhide opinions go both ways. So please give input here if this is a bad thing. We give ours beef basted/chicken basted rawhide chips. they are only about 4in x 4in.....and cut in a slice. They dont seem to have any problems eating them, we always watch though. And they can eat them in one sittin as well. Now is this a no no or is it ok?

edited to add...cause poop was mentioned. Both seem to do ok as far as that. but maybe cause its not alot of it...i dont know.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Vegas&Reno said:
I havent tried the greenie things yall are speaking of. I have heard rawhide opinions go both ways. So please give input here if this is a bad thing. We give ours beef basted/chicken basted rawhide chips. they are only about 4in x 4in.....and cut in a slice. They dont seem to have any problems eating them, we always watch though. And they can eat them in one sittin as well. Now is this a no no or is it ok?

edited to add...cause poop was mentioned. Both seem to do ok as far as that. but maybe cause its not alot of it...i dont know.
I think those rawhide chips are really dangerous. Its too easy for the dogs to chew them until they soften them up, try to swallow them whole, and then start choking on them. Seen it happen, have heard about it happening with other dogs quite often..and doing "emergency rawhide rescue" by having to stick your hand down a choking dog's throat is NOT a fun thing, not something you want to do more than once.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
i just read about a dehydrator thing you speak of chaz! I think that would be neat for both dogs and us of course! lol. I was reading this article on the raw diet for Humans...and they mentioned dehydrating stuff to make snacks...I think ill have to see how much one of those cost :)

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
I buy pigs ears by the sackful at shows,that is the packs saturday treat and never had any problems with them.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I used to give the greenies and they just adored them. Ran in circles to get them. I never saw too much of a difference in the teeth or breath though. I stopped giving them when they would start eating contests to see who could eat whos the quickest. Once in awhile I give pig ears. It is a welcome treat for them, and disappears quickly.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts