Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had introduced him as Red 3 months back, but we finally settled on the name DAVID. He is now exactly 6 months old. Coat condition is very bad, I know, but he is growing a new, darker coat and will probably look bettter in a month's time.

Attachments

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
I like his name! What do you think is the reason for the bad condition of his coat? How long have you had him?

Oh - just looked at some of your old posts and see that you have had him about 3 months. If you were feeding him a good diet that is plenty of time for him to develop a healthy coat. What are you feeding?

Also, he has the same calloused areas as the black Doberman you posted on this forum. Obviously, they are not sleeping inside on soft dog beds. Please please treat this breed of dog as an inside family dog - that is their temperament, they need to be with their people and not kenneled outside on concrete. I know different cultures do not keep animals the same way we do in the USA but this dog would look gorgeous with some easy lifestyle changes.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
What a cutie, it is a pity about his coat. What do you feed him? Does he live outside? When I first got my Boxer bitch (now sadly passed on) her coat looked something similar, I took to putting Olive oil on her feed and it helped no end. Have you had his thyroid checked as sometimes this can affect their coats, (or so my Vet told me when I first got my Boxer).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.
I live in India.
David has never slept outside. But he never sleeps on a bed. God knows I have tried to make him. He prefers the terracotta tiles in the bedroom. I think it is because our climate is hot and the tiles feel cool. Sometimes he would accept to sleep on a sheet of cloth, especially if it rains and is cooler, but the moment he decides he has had enough of softness, he would push the cloth away. Anyway, by no means is he treated like Mark (the black dobe I posted earlier) as he was not a dog I chose - he was dumped on me and was not a dog you could keep in a house. I dont have him now.
Regarding David's skin, I am at my wits end. If you look carefully at his pics, there are darker spots where new hair is growing out. But his skin is so dry and flaky. I have tried brushing, massaging and am feeding a coat conditioner.
This morning I applied Neem oil on his coat. I hope it would help

His diet now at 6 months is :

Morning - 250 gms dry food. ( he wont eat Royal Canin or Eukunaba and is fed a brand called Drools which has to be soaked and only then will he eat - that too after much coaxing. This happened after he was placed on a semi-solid diet for a week after he contracted a mild Parvo infection at 3 months - he had been vaccinated properly.
Noon: 4 eggs half boiled, 1 cup yoghurt, coat conditioner 10ml.
Evening: Cooked chicked - bones removed (75%) & cooked rice (25%) - this is the food he really loves ! + Multivitamin Tablets (Brand name 'Top 10' by Beaphar)

I would love to get some feedback on his conformation.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Wow he can stretch. He has a nice long neck. He's a pretty boy and will be even prettier when you get his coat straightened out. I love the red dobes.

If he is hot natured in your climate, have you looked at a raised mesh bed. Air circulates thru them and they are fairly cool. I put them out on my deck in the summer and my guys like them.

What are the better quality kibbles available to you? Can you get access to a fish based kibble? Orijen or Acana?

Reactions: Sherryh

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My red female sleeps on our bed and has patches on her legs. I put A&D ointment on her. Olive oil is good ................

·
Registered
59 Posts
He's a handsome boy! I used to mix yogurt with my puppy's kibble to make him want to eat it. Now that he is on a grain-free kibble that he loves he will eat it without the yogurt and I also add a little bit of cooked chicken or meat for variety. I think my puppy benefits most from the high quality kibble (Acana) and has a very shiny healthy coat.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Do you have access to Fish Oil capsules where you live? A good therapeutic dose for him would probably be anywhere from 3-6 capsules a day, to improve his skin and coat condition. And do not mistake fish body oil for cod liver oil. No cod liver oil.

He really is a nice looking dog, other than coat. Very beautiful. And I love the name David!

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Namaste Fighterboss

I thought you lived somewhere like India, I don't know why, it just came to me, perhaps I am psychic, lol.
I too live in a hot climate, though admittedly not as hot as it is in India, although for many, many years I lived in the Middle East so I know how cool the tiles feel and how most animals seem to prefer to sleep on them instead of in a bed.

Regards his coat, I would definitely try mixing a little good quality olive oil into his feed, it will help with the dryness of his skin, (I used to have a Mastif and a Boxer who when they first came to me had very dry flaky skin and it helped them).

You could also try giving him raw meat, he may be having trouble with the dry food you are giving him, I appreciate you wet it but sometimes the ingredients don't always agree with the dog. There are many dogs on this site that have allergies that stem from both the environment and the foods they have been fed. There is a company called Leerburg in the US and they have lots of info on feeding a 'raw meat diet'. Just Google the name Leerburg and up will come loads of info that is really, really helpful.

Your boy looks lovely, very similar to my boy, how tall is he and how much does he weigh? It isn't important but sometimes it is nice to compare I find.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Olive oil, coconut oil, and fish (or salmon) oil would all likely be beneficial to his skin and coat. My boy is also prone to coat problems because of his low thyroid, and fish-based dry food given with fish oil supplements has helped tremendously.

My male also got the spots on his elbows despite always sleeping on soft beds. I found that applying bag balm ( Bag Balm )once per day solved the problem. Once it was gone, it never returned.

Lastly, I agree that you may want to try one of the raised, mesh beds. They let air circulate while also providing a softer resting place than traditional padded beds. This is a popular brand, but you can find many others that are very similar.
Kuranda Dog Beds - Orthopedic and Chewproof

Good luck with your handsome boy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all.
I can get a fish based food but not Orijen or Acana. i will definitely give it a try. For the past 5 days or so, I have been supplementing his food with something called "nutricoat advance' which contains Omega 6 (linoleic acid) and Omega 3(linolenic acid) in the ratio 1:10. It is indicated "as a supplement in all types of skin related diseases viz., Pyoderma, Mange, Malassezia pachydermatitis, Fungal skin diseases, Atopy, Flea bite dermatitis etc." Earlier I was giving fish oil, but now have stopped it. Will giving olive oil or coconut oil in addition be okay?
I will definitely try getting a bed with mesh.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
If you can get something like Bag Balm you can rub that on the areas that have callouses and you could probably get the hair growth back.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
He looks to have a staph infection. That would be my guess. I would get him on Cephalexin.
cephalosporin antibiotic used to treat certain infections caused by bacteria such as pneumonia and bone, ear, skin, and urinary tract infections. I think if you but him on it, it would clear up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will definitely try something similar to 'Bag Balm'.
And thanks, ACarrig dobermans, can you be more specific about the dosage and duration of Cephalexin. My vet prescribes Marbofloxacin in such cases. It did not work for a friend's dog he treated about a year ago, but maybe it was a different infection. Would Cephalexin be better choice? I have not consulted the vet about his skin as I know what he would prescribe. I would put off a consultation till I hear from you. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
452 Posts
His coat looks like my Brie when she had skin staph, except hers was much worse.
Cephalexin cleared it up quickly.
She is a red dobe too.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Please stick around and let us know how both of you guys are doing. It's nice to know folks around the world.

KC

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We will, McFilley, thanks.
Anyway, last evening I took David to the vet. He has prescribed Marbofloxacin (100mg per day). I asked him about Cephalexin and he said it was an excellent drug, but that he would prefer Marbofloxacin and if after 7 days there was insufficient response, he would change the drug but if the response was good, Marbofloxacin would be continued for another 14 days.
At 6 months and 2 weeks, David stands 26.5 inches tall and weighs 27.3 kilos (60.2 pounds)

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I add Olive oil to my dogs feed with great results, their skin is so silky smooth lol. I add around one to two tablespoons of oil to one feed a day.

Wow he is already as tall as my boy, he is gonna be a big boy by the sound of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts