Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trinity has become very picky with her food. Such as at the moment she is on pedigree because everywhere is out of chicken soup. Pedigree has 3 shpaed pieces. 1 is square, another is in the shpae of a bone, and the last piece is round. First she will pick out the squares and eat them first then she will eat the bones and then she will eat 1 or 2 pieces of the round ones. Also for some reason she has gotten into the habit to eat when I am on the floor next to the bowl. I have no idea why she does this she has never done it before. My problem is how do I get her to eat dry food by itself without me having to sit on the floor next to the bowl? If I don't sit next to it until she is done then she just walks off and lets are other dog eat it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
HI ya PD!! where ya been?? Firstly Trin wont starve herself ~ Harvey is a picky eater but once he realises that thats all he is getting he will eat it. Do you keep the dog food down all day..if yes i would get her to eat and when she is done pick up the bowl and put it down later..if its down all day full of food they begin to start picking away at it and usually eat less.

I found with Harvey he needs to build up an appetite so a good walk always does the trick and once he is back i will wait 30/40 minutes and then put the bowl down for him to eat and boy does he eat loads this way.

Your gonna have to start slowly decreasing the distance between you and Trinity if you want to leave her to eat alone ~when she is eating just start slowly moving away each time she eats increasing the distance eat time :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
I agree with Twinketoes PD. She won't starve herself, and even if she puts on a little hunger strike for a few days it won't hurt her. Try feeding the dogs in different rooms, so they can't take hers. Give her about a half hour to eat and if she doesn't pull it up until the next feeding time. Don't offer it to her again before that. Don't sit with her that just reinforces the behavior.

My cats went a few days when I switched over to feeding them at scheduled times rather then leaving food available. They were snooty about it when I first put it down. They figured it out within a few days when they got hungry enough. Same story with my husband's dog when I moved in.

Even if she picks pieces out of the food, still pull up what she won't eat and she'll eventually get hungry enough and realize her mom isn't going to hand pick the "good" pieces out for her!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree 100% on this, Niko my boxer use to have food out all day for him until we got the other 2 then because they decided that they could never get enough to eat we went to scheduled feeding. Niko and Sasha went on Strike for about 3-4 days then they decided well im not getting anything else might as well eat what and when she puts it down. now Sasha and Capone are trained to go to their crates at feeding times and sit until i put food down for them. Niko still can be a little snooty but if he doesnt eat i dont give in. He is on the same schedule and if he doesnt eat then he has to wait til the next feeding time.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Prettydobie said:
We wanted to breed her for size and compainionship. Now we aren't sure about it for 2 resons. 1. We now have Loki and we aren't sure how he will react to it or if trinity will be agressive to him. 2. My uncle might be moving in with us and if he does that then we will have no were to put trintiy if we breed her. The 3rd bedroom that he might be moving into was going to be for trinity. The whole room. LOL

Can you explain a little better the reasons to breed Trinity? What exactly about size? Just curious. As for companionship, you mean for the pups to be companion dogs, or companions for you guys?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Prettydobie said:
I don't keep the food down all day long. My big problem with letting her go with the hungrey strike is that she has done this once before and she ends up getting into the trash. There aren't that many places that we can put the trash where she can't get to it. LOL Also she starts to eat plants out side and frankly I don't know what plants are good and bad for dogs.

Hey twinkel I have been really busy. My uncle has been coming in and out of town for about the past 3 weeks plus I am getting paid to do 3 different things. 1. I am a score keeper for basketball games on fridays. 2. I clean my uncles coffee shop and warehouse. 3. My grandmother is paying me to keep my house clean. I get about 75 dollars a week from all this. LOL Also me and my mother are getting ready for trinity heat in december. We are still tring to make up our mind if we want to breed trinity or not. We wanted to breed her for size and compainionship. Now we aren't sure about it for 2 resons. 1. We now have Loki and we aren't sure how he will react to it or if trinity will be agressive to him. 2. My uncle might be moving in with us and if he does that then we will have no were to put trintiy if we breed her. The 3rd bedroom that he might be moving into was going to be for trinity. The whole room. LOL
Could you tell us what Trinity has to offer the breed if you bred her? And if you have a sire picked out what does he have to offer the breed?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Prettydobie said:
Trinity has become very picky with her food. Such as at the moment she is on pedigree because everywhere is out of chicken soup. Pedigree has 3 shpaed pieces. 1 is square, another is in the shpae of a bone, and the last piece is round. First she will pick out the squares and eat them first then she will eat the bones and then she will eat 1 or 2 pieces of the round ones. Also for some reason she has gotten into the habit to eat when I am on the floor next to the bowl. I have no idea why she does this she has never done it before. My problem is how do I get her to eat dry food by itself without me having to sit on the floor next to the bowl? If I don't sit next to it until she is done then she just walks off and lets are other dog eat it.

no matter how u disguise it or what, Gunner will not eat peas, its like he spits them out with out even smushing them

·
Registered
273 Posts
Things to think about before breeding:

Have you done all her health testing? Hip & elbow xray, vwd, heart echo/holter, thyroid, eye cerf, liver panel, brucellious, etc? I know she's too young for a final hip/elbow xray, but you should get a preliminary to make sure she's not displastic. Your choice in stud dogs should also have all the above testing.

I saw in another of your posts that her breeders had her cropped at three days old. Odds are, that means she doesn't have a great pedigree. Do you know if her parents and grandparents are still alive? If not, what did they die of? You would need to know the same for your stud dog as you wouldn't want to double up on a problem such as cardio.

Are you prepared for the costs of possible complications? C-Sections are fairly common in dobermans and can cost a lot of money. Also, consider the possibility of losing your girl due to potential complications - it happens.

Are you prepared for the costs associated with puppies? Tail docking, dew claws and shots (even if you don't do ears) on a big litter will cost a lot, plus food, cleaning supplies, etc.

What if your girl doesn't want to care for the puppies and you need to? Can you dedicate the first couple weeks to round the clock feeding and care?

Are you prepared to take back any of the puppies you produce for the rest of their lives? Good breeders put that in their contracts. You do have a contract, right?

Do you have buyers lined up in advance? You have to figure for every person who has told you they'd like a puppy, 4 out of 5 will back out when the time comes. What happens if you can't sell them? Can you take care of 1-12 puppies until you find them homes? Or forever?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Please please please reconsider about breeding Trinty!! There's so much more to breeding than just having a nice dog that you want to have pups. Even if you plan to fix the puppies before they go to their homes(even though I don't agree with spay/neuter at such a young age) you'll be taking homes from the hundreds of Dobermans that are waiting in rescue for a home.

http://www.dpca.org/before.you.breed.html

http://www.21stcenturycares.org/misbreeding.htm

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Ohhh for crying out loud this will be the third time I will have responded to this post. I'm getting very frustrated with this upgrade at this point....

At this point everyone has said what I've posted before, but it has been erased with the forum upgrades both times. Thank you for the links Dobe Paws, I had posted the before you breed one both times, at least you got it to stay up! I'll just sum up what I've said....

Prettydobie, are you prepared for the financial end of this endevor you are considering? For one thing do you have a job? You mentioned getting paid to clean your own house, that is not something that will support the money aspect of breeding. And if you or your mom think that you will come out ahead in money by breeding, that is a sad error.

You mention that you will alter all the puppies, honestly why breed and put Trinity through it in the first place? You will have to pay for all the ear crops at a minimum of $200 each, and the alterations on all the puppies at a minimum of $120 each. Not to mention house breaking all the puppies also, as they can't be altered until about 6 months old. And there is so much more to it. The DPCA link Dobe paws gave you gives you an idea of the financial burden you need to be ready to dish out.

In addition are you prepared to health test Trinity? Just for a starters hips, elbows, thyriod, blackdog mentioned much more needed too. If you don't health test her and require the same tests of the sire and there are lurking problems, you are condeming the puppies to a very poor quality of life as the problems will be passed onto them.

The reasons you mentioned to breed are not valid reasons. A doberman is supposed to be a medium size dog, to breed for anything larger is introducing more health problems into a breed that has enough problems already. As for the temperment issue, if all you want is another gentle dog, why don't you go to a shelter or rescue and find a gentle one. They do extensive temperment evauations and will find you what you are looking for.

I'm not trying to be abrupt, but I am very concerned. Just because a dog has an AKC registration, that doesn't make it a singuralty excellant representative of the breed that will better the breed in some way by reproducing, it is just a piece of paper.

Please reconsider and consider spaying Trinity also. It is better for her mental wellbeing and will save you the frustration of dealing with any more heats.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am sick of this I am not going to explain myself about something everyone is trying to read between the lines when they shouldn't. I would like this thread to be deleted right away because I will no longer be looking at it so there is no point in someone even responding to it even if it has to do with the original post.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
LOL Also me and my mother are getting ready for trinity heat in december. We are still tring to make up our mind if we want to breed trinity or not. We wanted to breed her for size and compainionship.

According to this you imply that you are considering breeding her, that is where everyone, myself included got the impression. You brought it up in this thread by posting the initial comment about breeeding Trinity, so we responded. We didn't draw it out of you or go off topic, you did, we simply responded to your comments.

Actually in one of the posts of yours that you deleted, you told us you were breeding for muscle tone and for Trinity's gentle nature, as well as finding a sire similiar to Trinity, at which point YOU told us that if we didn't understand to ask and you would try to explain better. So you actually invited more conversation about the issue of breeding Trinity.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Well, I apologize then for not mentioning all your jobs you've told us about, I was just inquiring whether you felt you had the income to support all that is involved with a breeding endevor.

If you've changed your mind on breeding then, that's great. But for the record again although you've went back and deleted your posts about the consideration into breeding, you brought it up, not us.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lexus in me second post I respond to both the original post and I was telling twinkletoes what was up with me. Ya'll were the ones who made it a breeding thread. Just because I metion it doesn't mean anything. If your going to respond to soemthing like this and you don't want it to seem like YA'LL are going off topic then including something from the origianl post or anwser something from the original post.

I have deleted all my posts but the first one. SO DROP IT

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DELETE THE DANG THREAD I'm sick of it this is the exact reason for me leaving other forum. I really don't want to leave this forum but if it comes down to it then I will.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
It's dropped with me if you don't want to talk about it anymore, however understand that you brought up breeding and you were fine with discussing it without any hesitations until you started reading the posts that were there to educate you about reasons to and not to breed.

This forum is here for education as well as giving doberman lovers a place to get together. No one is here to attack you, but we will do our best to educate against making wrong moves when we can because the doberman breed is so important to us. Please accept it for what it is and not get so angry if we disagreed with your ideas about breeding.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
For the record...

Prettydobie,
Just so we have things straight, the only thing that "we cleared up" was my explanation to you on why you should not breed, my defense of Lexus and CoAls-mom and their opinions and my explanation to you that topics change within threads and pretty much everything you say is fair game for discussion.
I also pointed out that you were the one to start the conversation in the first place.
In your defense I will include that when I point blank asked "Are you going to breed Trinity?" You answered with a very direct "No."
So as far as I'm concerned the debate on whether or not you should breed Trinity is over. However it must be perfectly clear that all topics change within a thread, if you don't like the turn of events in a thread then don't respond or read the thread. If it's just absolutely driving you crazy report the problem to one of us moderators, we will then decide if it's gotten out of control. A good rule of thumb is, if you don't want to discuss a certain topic (Breeding, Albino's, German v. American, whatever) don't bring up the subject even innocently in your thread, I can guarantee someone will jump on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.