Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, I put a deposit down on a red/tan Doberman pup this past weekend. Hes was the last red in the litter, the rest were all fawn. The sire of the pup was red and weighed probably 90lbs+, tall and very muscular. Great representation of an adult Doberman. Think I'm going to call him Rebel. Reason being, when the owner brought all the puppies out to a little fence area, he kinda walked away and done his own thing while the others stayed together.

But anyway, to the point. I have emailed a training facility near where I live but haven't heard anything from them yet. I definitely want to get him in a puppy class to begin with and move on from there.

The classes they provide are:
Puppy Kindergaten
Basic Obedience
Intermediate Obedience
Advanced Obedience
Agility
CGC and Therapy

I'm still trying to plan how hes going to be taken care of during the day. I work 8-5 M-F and currently living with my dad. It's going to be my dad's dog as well but I really don't want my dad to have to take care of the puppy all day while I'm at work. Hes 72y/o, retired and stays home all day. My dad loves dogs so I know hes going to try but my dad is too old to be taken care of a pup.

We have a storage building behind our house with a section cleared out and I thought about putting a kennel out there where he can walk in and out of during the day. He will have access to the back yard as well. Then my dad could walk out there every so often or look out the backdoor to check on him.

But doing this might affect his indoor crate training because I plan on having a kennel in the house too. Suggestions and advice would be appreciated on this situation.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts
Welcome from Missouri.

At 72-years old, unless your dad is in pretty good shape, he probably isn't going to be up to taking care of a Doberman puppy more specifically than just any puppy. Do you have any experience with the breed? Have you raised a Doberman pup before?

Just curious so I might know what suggestions to make without repeating things you may already know.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome from Missouri.

At 72-years old, unless your dad is in pretty good shape, he probably isn't going to be up to taking care of a Doberman puppy more specifically than just any puppy. Do you have any experience with the breed? Have you raised a Doberman pup before?

Just curious so I might know what suggestions to make without repeating things you may already know.
For the past 15 years my mom and dad had Chihuahuas. We had larger breed dogs when I was younger. Boxer, Husky and a Pitt mix. My dad owned Doberman's back in the day but that was 40-50 years ago lol.

I chose this breed because I want a good companion to run and exercise with me, a guardian and I just simply love their sinister appearance and physique.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
At 72-years old, unless your dad is in pretty good shape, he probably isn't going to be up to taking care of a Doberman puppy more specifically than just any puppy.
I want to echo this.

My mom is in her 50s. She's in good shape, she's not feeble, she's smart and pretty quick. That being said I was always worried a little bit while my doberman was a puppy. I was worried that he'd slam into her and I was worried that she'd take him for a walk and he'd suddenly pull and she'd go down.

That being said, welcome to the forums. Sam&Mack's made a good point about the AC. Dobermans are people dogs, they're not big fans of being alone, especially when their people are around.

This forum is full of great information so I hope that you stick around and learn all you can :]

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
For the past 15 years my mom and dad had Chihuahuas. We had larger breed dogs when I was younger. Boxer, Husky and a Pitt mix. My dad owned Doberman's back in the day but that was 40-50 years ago lol.

I chose this breed because I want a good companion to run and exercise with me, a guardian and I just simply love their sinister appearance and physique.
Great word to desrcibe them! :nicejob:

Welcome from Virginia!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this storage building have A/C? It's been 97 degrees where I live. Not an ideal living situation for a Doberman, especially a puppy.
This building does not have A/C. It's not fully enclosed, it has one side that is open. The dog would be able to go in and out.

·
joie de vivre
11,274 Posts

Perhaps your Dad has already told you this, but it's good for you to know that larger breeds of dog should not be doing forced running exercise for roughly the first 18-months of life due to how slowly their growth plates close. You can damage their joints for life if you force demanding exercise too young. So I wouldn't plan on having an exercise and running buddy for about a year and a half.

Have you spent any time directly interacting with Dobermans? They are beautiful dogs but there's a lot of demanding personality packaged in that gorgeous physique. :)

I'm sure your Dad will be a valuable source for help when you need it but it sure doesn't hurt anything if you have spent time around the breed for yourself so you know what you're getting into. Puppies in general are a lot of work but Dobermans can be incredibly challenging to raise depending on the pup and your personal knowledge/ability.

It's good that you're looking up training in your area. Starting young is an excellent idea for socialization and general manners.

Also, I'd nix the idea of setting up a kennel run in the shed. Dobermans are not able to tolerate extreme temperatures and merely being able to run in and out is not going to suffice. Their coats offer no protection from the elements. I understand you not wanting your dad to shoulder responsibility for the pup but maybe you could crate him in the house while you're gone and have your dad let him out a few times per day to stretch his legs and relieve himself until he gets older and has some bladder control. Then you can train, exercise, and play with him when you get home.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perhaps your Dad has already told you this, but it's good for you to know that larger breeds of dog should not be doing forced running exercise for roughly the first 18-months of life due to how slowly their growth plates close. You can damage their joints for life if you force demanding exercise too young. So I wouldn't plan on having an exercise and running buddy for about a year and a half.

Have you spent any time directly interacting with Dobermans? They are beautiful dogs but there's a lot of demanding personality packaged in that gorgeous physique. :)

I'm sure your Dad will be a valuable source for help when you need it but it sure doesn't hurt anything if you have spent time around the breed for yourself so you know what you're getting into. Puppies in general are a lot of work but Dobermans can be incredibly challenging to raise depending on the pup and your personal knowledge/ability.

It's good that you're looking up training in your area. Starting young is an excellent idea for socialization and general manners.

Also, I'd nix the idea of setting up a kennel run in the shed. Dobermans are not able to tolerate extreme temperatures and merely being able to run in and out is not going to suffice. Their coats offer no protection from the elements. I understand you not wanting your dad to shoulder responsibility for the pup but maybe you could crate him in the house while you're gone and have your dad let him out a few times per day to stretch his legs and relieve himself until he gets older and has some bladder control.
Thanks brw. I think thats what I'm going to have to do. My dad is stubborn so I know he isn't going to let him stay in that crate. I think he will be alright until he starts getting big enough he can knock someone down by accident but by that time hopefully he should be trained.

Oh and I wasn't planning on forcing the pup to excercise with me yet. I've read about their joint problems.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
This building does not have A/C. It's not fully enclosed, it has one side that is open. The dog would be able to go in and out.
Dogs that are kept in outside facilities run the very real risk of having their ears eaten by flies. Between the flies, ticks, mosquitoes and gnats your puppy will be miserable. Dogs, especially dobes need to be kept indoors and with their human.

·
Eat Poo and Die
2,193 Posts
I think he will be alright until he starts getting big enough he can knock someone down by accident but by that time hopefully he should be trained.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I went wrong with that one. :roflmao:

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The combination of smart, energetic, bored, lonely and unsupervised often (always!) leads to trouble. Pups learning to bark endlessly to hear themselves make noise, digging holes to China, eating rocks and such, peeling the siding off the house... all of the destructive and potentially dangerous habits which are so difficult to break once formed, some of which can lead to life-threatening situations. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Hello all, I put a deposit down on a red/tan Doberman pup this past weekend. Hes was the last red in the litter, the rest were all fawn. The sire of the pup was red and weighed probably 90lbs+, tall and very muscular. Great representation of an adult Doberman. Think I'm going to call him Rebel. Reason being, when the owner brought all the puppies out to a little fence area, he kinda walked away and done his own thing while the others stayed together.

Did you pick him based on color alone? If it were me and I was looking for a dog to do training with and things that would mean the dog needed to ENGAGE with me, I would not be picking the indepndent one myself.

Did the breeder own the sire and dam?

Reactions: Q734 and Beaumont67

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maybe a puppy is not such a good idea. There are lots of lovely dobes in rescue that would make a good companion in the home with your father during the day.
I looked at the local SPCA for months and never saw any. Checked the website daily. Most of the dogs they have are mixes. Nothing wrong with that but it isn't what I'm looking for.

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
According to breed standard, doberman are medium sized dogs. I would personally be concerned if the father was too tall/large, as this is not a good thing. Were the parents health tested or titled?

Its great that you are planning on enrolling in obedience right away, you two will really enjoy it and hopefully your pup will be everything you hope for. Just do your homework and make sure you know the important things that come with not only puppies but doberman puppies! I am going through it right now and wow!!!!! I will rescue an adult next time :) I have all the time and energy in the world to dedicate to her and it is still not enough. I want to pull my hair out and bite the heck out of her sometimes.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you pick him based on color alone? If it were me and I was looking for a dog to do training with and things that would mean the dog needed to ENGAGE with me, I would not be picking the indepndent one myself.

Did the breeder own the sire and dam?
Yep, both were on site. The pup is only going on 5 weeks so I don't think you can judge the dog yet. He didn't stay away from the pack that long, he just ventured away from them for a few minutes(This was when I wasn't in the fence with them). He licked my face just about the whole time I was holding him. Very sweet pup.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Yep, both were on site. The pup is only going on 5 weeks so I don't think you can judge the dog yet. He didn't stay away from the pack that long, he just ventured away from them for a few minutes(This was when I wasn't in the fence with them). He licked my face just about the whole time I was holding him. Very sweet pup.
Generally if the breeder owns both the sire and dam, that is seen as a red flag.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts